Mental health prohibitor question

steveooo

Hi guys was hoping for some help. I was self checked into a facility in 2010 for depression/suicide due to some tough times, which was only for 2 days and I'm trying to get my FOID again. I'm wondering what I need to put in the section of the "Request for Appeal - Describe the reason for your appeal". I just can't figure out the right wording. How detailed do I get or is there just a simple sentence I should say?

Thank you for your time!

• 1 month later...

"ANYONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that has "ANY" history of the word "Mental" in their history.Will not be issued a FOID.Anyone who tells you different is full of C___.Unless your a blood relative to your governor his honor.The remover of toilets.Now the king has real power.People of Illinois will be held hostage in their homes until Da Gov lets them go.Maybe! I just feel sorry for all those who live outside of cook & the collar counties. Who have to pay for what going on in north eastern Illinois

"ANYONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that has "ANY" history of the word "Mental" in their history.Will not be issued a FOID.

I have to disagree with you. Anyone who applies for a FOID card and has been in a mental facility for treatment will be denied until they submit a mental health evaluation showing they are not a danger to themselves or others. If it's been more than five years, a doctor's statement will suffice. If it has been less than five years, then a more involved evaluation is required.

True, appeals submitted to override a denial or revocation are taking way longer than they should.

• 1 month later...

Molly & Mauser me. Your wrong ! Unless you have someone on the inside you will never get a FOID with the word "Mental" attached.Your giving hope where there is none.Your giving false hope to people who are spending money on a hopeless pursuit.This is so obvious I can't believe you don't just say it.You know what the goal is in Illinois.They just found an easy out with the "mental" thing.Check out the federal comments on this issue.last time I checked.Illinois & Hawaii were the only states who will not allow people who on there own went for help.It stinks and just makes people who need help,refuse to take a chance at giving up their rights.This going on & on about "hang in there,they will get to you" ..First it was 3 months,then 6 months,1 year,2 years.Call a spade a spade.

Molly & Mauser me. Your wrong ! Unless you have someone on the inside you will never get a FOID with the word "Mental" attached.Your giving hope where there is none.Your giving false hope to people who are spending money on a hopeless pursuit.This is so obvious I can't believe you don't just say it.You know what the goal is in Illinois.They just found an easy out with the "mental" thing.Check out the federal comments on this issue.last time I checked.Illinois & Hawaii were the only states who will not allow people who on there own went for help.It stinks and just makes people who need help,refuse to take a chance at giving up their rights.This going on & on about "hang in there,they will get to you" ..First it was 3 months,then 6 months,1 year,2 years.Call a spade a spade.

The fact that you've been unsuccessful does not mean that others have not been, or cannot be in the future.

I think we all need to make a decision as to what is most important to us, retaining what rights we have under the 2nd Amendment and draconian Federal and State regulation, or seeking help for an emotional or mental illness. Maybe the best compromise would be to seek care from a private mental health practitioner, stating up front that you will be paying for the care privately with no insurance company or government program involved, and then provide a less than accurate name and address to the provider. This is exactly what some that I knew resorted to in another setting, that of military members with security clearances who knew that if they sought help within the military health care system and if that help was for an emotional or mental concern, that they would lose their clearance and likely permanently and irrevocably end their military careers. In my current status as a civilian, and with my current status as being licensed to own and carry a firearm, I would not tempt the state authorities who clearly would prefer if people like me did not exist and would never go for any mental health care that I would have to list on any government form of any kind.

this is why, I tell people who are contemplating mental health treatment, to do it out of state. Illinois has no access to mental health records in, for instance, Missouri

Even if you use your same insurance company to pay the bill? I would not be so sure.

Maybe when the Republicans were in office.You might have a chance at a foid with a "mental" attached to your file.Not now & as I said.not while the left is in power.No one is really interested in getting involved in the issue,as long as they have theirs.One day they "will" come for yours.Saying "OH just sit back and wait.The state will come through.To me is like saying."HEY" we only had men & women dying in the Mideast since the 101st hit the ground in 1990.Dont worry sit back and relax.The government will come through.we will all come home soon.I swear,some of these answers about the ISP taking care of business for us sound like voices backed by the ISP itself.Giberish ! Don't tell me it's raining when your Pi----- down my back.

I always remember the words from a Bronx tail. Sonny was right "NOBODY CARES"

Maybe when the Republicans were in office.You might have a chance at a foid with a "mental" attached to your file.Not now & as I said.not while the left is in power.No one is really interested in getting involved in the issue,as long as they have theirs.One day they "will" come for yours.Saying "OH just sit back and wait.The state will come through.To me is like saying."HEY" we only had men & women dying in the Mideast since the 101st hit the ground in 1990.Dont worry sit back and relax.The government will come through.we will all come home soon.I swear,some of these answers about the ISP taking care of business for us sound like voices backed by the ISP itself.Giberish ! Don't tell me it's raining when your Pi----- down my back.

I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you, and I understand that you are intimately familiar with your own set of circumstances.

But you simply don't know anyone's circumstances beyond your own. None at all, other than your specific case.

I am in the same situation. Voluntarily checked in for a short stay in 2013. I was under the impression that I would automatically be eligible again as long as 5 years passed "without incident". Imagine my surprise when I logged into the ISP site and am listed STILL as REVOKED. I certainly didn't realize I'd have to go through this whole appeal process. UGH! Thanks for sharing this and wish me luck!

I am in the same situation. Voluntarily checked in for a short stay in 2013. I was under the impression that I would automatically be eligible again as long as 5 years passed "without incident". Imagine my surprise when I logged into the ISP site and am listed STILL as REVOKED. I certainly didn't realize I'd have to go through this whole appeal process. UGH! Thanks for sharing this and wish me luck!

The IL General Assembly changed the law, I think in 2013, that even if the 5 years had passed, a mental health certification still had to be submitted to ISP.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Faq.aspx

Per ISPFSB FAQ

3. FOID Eligibility and the Application Process

Q: Who is eligible for a FOID Card?

A: To be eligible for a FOID card, a person must be 21 years of age or have a parent or guardian sponsor that is eligible for a FOID card. An applicant must not be prohibited from possessing firearms in accordance with state or federal law. This requires the applicant is/has:

Not been a patient in a mental health facility within the past five years.

Not been a patient in a mental health facility more than five years ago, unless the applicant submits a Mental Health certification under 430 ILCS 65/8(u).

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K8

430 ILCS 65/8

... (e) A person who has been a patient of a mental

health facility within the past 5 years or a person who has been a patient in a mental health facility more than 5 years ago who has not received the certification required under subsection (u) of this Section.

...(u) A person who has had his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card revoked or denied under subsection (e) of this Section or item (iv) of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Section 4 of this Act because he or she was a patient in a mental health facility as provided in subsection (e) of this Section, shall not be permitted to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, after the 5-year period has lapsed, unless he or she has received a mental health evaluation by a physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner as those terms are defined in the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Code, and has received a certification that he or she is not a clear and present danger to himself, herself, or others. The physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner making the certification and his or her employer shall not be held criminally, civilly, or professionally liable for making or not making the certification required under this subsection, except for willful or wanton misconduct. This subsection does not apply to a person whose firearm possession rights have been restored through administrative or judicial action under Section 10 or 11 of this Act

I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you, and I understand that you are intimately familiar with your own set of circumstances.

But you simply don't know anyone's circumstances beyond your own. None at all, other than your specific case.

"WRONG" Ive done a ton of research into this,before I opened my mouth.Been in contact with many in the same situation.Including law enforcement,lawyers,etc,etc.I stand by my statement.Unless you are connected or have some special in with the ISP.You will never get a foid.It's amazing that you people keep feeding this false hope to people.Im sure you can pull someone out of a hat that will deny this.Just like the politicians find people to further their cause.I know "Plenty" of specifics" I also know there are people out there taking big money to verify mental health and telling people that they will have their foid in 90 days.Knowing that will never happen.Go on line,they are all over the place in Illinois.I know no body wants to take the reins on this issue.because these 5 years later people are a minority and no one wants to p _ _ _ off the Gov. for fear of loosing their foid.This forum is , Im sure on the ISP radar . Stop feeding people false hope.It's freekin Illinois

• 1 month later...

Archived