Help on finding factual info

Kaeghl

I was asked a couple of questions about why 7.62 vs 308 win, and 223 vs 5.56 in this gun vs that barrel, etc etc etc.

Rather than go with "Hmmm, I had always heard....", I'd rather be able to look up 'the straight poop' and cite a final authority. However, my google-fu is not up to snuff, lately.

Specifically, where do I go on line to find out why its best to have a barrel stamped 5.56 and why it can handle .223 also, and why a 308 can or can't handle a 7.62 nato, or is it vice versa?

A site that lists things in nice bite size pieces with lots of diagrams and pictures would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, the real simple answer without comparing and contrasting chamber drawings and volumes of pressure data is this-NATO spec ammo and barrels/chambers are designed to 1) operate at a higher maximum average working pressure and 2) enhance operational reliability in combat.

You can cite your source as tk on IC, who is an OFFICIAL member and only gives correct answers. :rofl:

The best explanation I received on both 5.56 vs 223 and 7.62 vs 308 goes something like this:

5.56 is loaded very hot compared to 223 which was used as a varmint round so you can use the 223 in a 5.56 marked barrel but not the other way around.

7.62X51 is actually loaded less hot than the 308 rounds out there so you can use 7.62 in a 308 marked barrel but not the other way around.

The SAAMI site has more of the detailed information, but the above is what I keep in mind when purchasing ammo and such.

Archived