FOID Renewal Rumor

A friend recently applied to renew his FOID.

After waiting for sometime he called ISP and was told that since JB became the Governor there is now a 60 day wait time for mailing out the FOID cards.

He was told his card was ready and would be mailed out when the 60 day mark was reached.

Does anyone have more information on this or can someone confirm this?

Surprised they were able to reach anyone on the phone!

Last session a new law was passed that allows for 60 days processing time on FOID renewals. My guess is this is what was meant and there is confusion/error on not sending out until 60 days reached.

Also, I assume they are batching printed cards for mailing just like CCL (I heard at one time they use the same printer) so once the card is ready and gets printed it may sit for a while to get sorted for post office delivery and then mailed to you.

(b ) Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card. If a renewal application has been submitted prior to the expiration date of the applicant's Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall remain valid while the Department processes the application, unless the person is subject to or becomes subject to revocation under this Act. The cost for a renewal application shall be $10 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(Source: P.A. 100-906, eff. 1-1-19.)

Edited by InterestedBystander

The reason I don't believe this story is because so many people have posted right here at Illinoiscarry.com that they've never been able to talk to a live person when they've called the Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau.

i don't doubt Jag-Bag Pritzker would tell the ISP to slow-walk everything and never send anything out before the due date. I just find it hard to believe that there are enough people in the bureau for anyone to answer the phone.

The reason I don't believe this story is because so many people have posted right here at Illinoiscarry.com that they've never been able to talk to a live person when they've called the Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau.

i don't doubt Jag-Bag Pritzker would tell the ISP to slow-walk everything and never send anything out before the due date. I just find it hard to believe that there are enough people in the bureau for anyone to answer the phone.

I wonder if they would release the number of job positions and staffing levels at the FSB via a FOIA request?

It takes a lot of effort and hair pulling to get through to the ISP. No question there. It is possible though. I have no reason not to believe my friend as had no reason to lie.

What amazes me is the number of people on this forum who obviously don't keep up with the FOID Act and the FCCA.

A friend recently applied to renew his FOID.

After waiting for sometime he called ISP and was told that since JB became the Governor there is now a 60 day wait time for mailing out the FOID cards.

He was told his card was ready and would be mailed out when the 60 day mark was reached.

Does anyone have more information on this or can someone confirm this?

I am usually skeptical about rumors, because the frequent source is a friend of a friend whose cousin is dating the mail carrier who delivers to the governor's brother's butcher. Since the source is only second hand, it must be true.

What amazes me is the number of people on this forum who obviously don't keep up with the FOID Act and the FCCA.

Thread Winner ˆˆˆˆˆ

P.S. I usually get flamed for such. :_(

I, too, have reached a human when calling ISP at least 4 times in the last couple of years.
If you're willing to stay on hold long enough and call early enough in the afternoon (or morning) so they don't hang up on you when the office closes...which has happened to me after being on hold for about an hour.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

You can't apply more than 30 days in advance for a FOID renewal. So this means you're gonna have an expired card in your pocket for 30 days. They need to let us apply 60 days in advance!!

Where did you see any official statement about 30 days?

Note post#3 above by InterestedBystander with a quote from the FOID Act and this.

(430 ILCS 65/13.2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.2)

Sec. 13.2. The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card.

If you are being notified 60 days ahead of time it is very likely that you can apply for renewal 60 days ahead of time.

Edited by Quiet Observer

You can't apply more than 30 days in advance for a FOID renewal. So this means you're gonna have an expired card in your pocket for 30 days. They need to let us apply 60 days in advance!!

Where did you any official statement about 30 days?

Note post#3 above by InterestedBystander with a quote from the FOID Act and this.

(430 ILCS 65/13.2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.2)

Sec. 13.2. The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card.

If you are being notified 60 days ahead of time it is very likely that you can apply for renewal 60 days ahead of time.

There are several articles out there, google how far in advance can i renew my FOID!

We know you hate chicago, but telling people in several posts about carrying a expired card etc isn't being helpful.

Same answer was also posted like #3 above, IANAL and YMMV, but how many times do guys need this repeated?

SMFH

I was looking at the Illinois budget, most years they don't spend the money allocated to FOID on the program, it gets misappropriated elsewhere. This year they intend to spend more then last year but not the full amount. If you notice they've gotten quite the windfall in budgetary allowances from some of the other gun grabbing schemes so maybe it is resulting in more phone staff?

Budget numbers are x $1000

Notice the big uptick in CCW administration? Allocation is the same but they actually intend to spend the full allocation this year. My guess is this was stepped up after the Rockford shooting. It doesn't look good when budgets for a program are allocated via the passing of a gun control law, then spent elsewhere on the state (robbed), and the program fails to save lives like promised (we all know they fail from the start). At least when they fail burning through the full budget allocation they can get more money appropriated.

Edited by chicagoresident

I’m coming up on 60 days for my FOID renewal application - let’s see what they do. Mine’s valid until 6/1.

So you have or have not applied for FOID?

You’re coming up on 60 since applying? Cause its only 30 days till you expire if its 6/1 as you say!

And if you applied 60 days ago, (as I read your post) you should get it sooner than later as they have 30 more days till it expires.....

Gotta love Illinois, “we need 60 days now, BUT we might have to take a full 90” don't call us we'll call you!

My renewal was submitted 3/8 for an expiration of 5/1 (today). Application still says Under Review.Above in this thread says 60 BUSINESS days. Isn't it calendar days?
No. Business days.

( b ) Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Im coming up on 60 days for my FOID renewal application - lets see what they do. Mines valid until 6/1.

So you have or have not applied for FOID?

Youre coming up on 60 since applying? Cause its only 30 days till you expire if its 6/1 as you say!

And if you applied 60 days ago, (as I read your post) you should get it sooner than later as they have 30 more days till it expires.....

Gotta love Illinois, we need 60 days now, BUT we might have to take a full 90 don't call us we'll call you!

Renewal submitted 3/7.

Renewal option just popped up this morning 5/1/2019 on the site. My FOID expires 8/1/2019, giving me 90 days.

Now that I am still under review/QC verified for my CCL do i dare to renew now or wait till after CCL is active?

OMG, you are now in what is commonly called “The Illinois Triangle”

Can't wait

Can't renew

Can't carry

Boo Yaa

Step back from the keyboard and Illinois handle this!

I want to concur with interestedbystander. Alot of misunderstanding about the 60 day change that had passed.