Illinois FFLs - a moment of your time please

taxman213

When you call in a background check, will the system kick it back if you don't input the information correctly? Or will it still accept it and move to delayed status?

To confirm, when calling in, you're providing FOID# and birth date - anything else?

I have one background check pending at a big box store which is going to expire somewhat soon and am trying to figure out what went wrong. It was the first of five background checks from August and all came back approved except this first one. Logic says they should come back in the order received, but with the ISP, I guess anything is possible.

I think the employee messed up somehow when inputting the information. When I go back to refill out another 4473, I'm going to request a different employee if possible. Not saying it was malicious, but the guy gave me a bad vibe and the gun is super cheap, so maybe he wants it when the background check expires. The only way I think to achieve this is if he called in and gave the wrong FOID# or birth date, which led to my first question.

Last two questions.

Does the background check expire exactly 30 days to the minute from when it was filled out? Also, is the transaction number the best way to look up the approval on the ISP website?

I'm going to ask a manager to check the system via the transaction number.

Greatly appreciate any info. Feel free to IM as well.

This is the order going horizontal:

Last name, First name, Middle initial, Date of birth, and FOID #. It does get confusing if you have 2 middle names or 2 last names. I always show the Customer the FTIP screen before I hit submit to make sure all the information is correct. The most important part is that the birth date and FOID # is correct because that's how ISP has you entered into the system. There is only one way to check your bcg check status online, that's through the transaction #.

I hope this helps,

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers. Do you know if the background check expires 30 days from the exact time it's filed, or is there some sort of rounding involved?

IANAL. IANAFFL.

https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001235sections.html

https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/020012350001100R.html

JCAR rules say 30 days to transfer after approval.

TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT

CHAPTER II: DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE

PART 1235 FIREARM TRANSFER INQUIRY PROGRAM

SECTION 1235.110 TRANSFER OF FIREARMS

Section 1235.110 Transfer of Firearms

The transfer of the firearm(s) associated with a particular inquiry shall only occur after the withholding of delivery provisions of Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961 [720 ILCS 5/24-3] and within 30 days after the approval to transfer has been provided by the Department.

(Source: Amended at 27 Ill. Reg. 5998, effective March 21, 2003)

Didn’t you have this same problem in another thread?

Still not solved

No, still not solved. Going back in to fill out another 4473 this week. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth but eventually it should go through. I keep getting conflicting information from different people at the store. Long story short, they don't have their **** together.

I'm going to make sure to get the transaction # this time so it can be easily looked up in the system.

In case your FFL Dealer never showed you how the FTIP Software looks, here it is:

Thank you sir. I'm going to ask to double check that screen before submission as long as they don't choose to call it in.

Anyway you can post a screenshot of the screen where you can look up the background check with the transaction #? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers. Do you know if the background check expires 30 days from the exact time it's filed, or is there some sort of rounding involved?

IANAL. IANAFFL.https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001235sections.htmlhttps://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/020012350001100R.html

JCAR rules say 30 days to transfer after approval.

TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT

CHAPTER II: DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE

PART 1235 FIREARM TRANSFER INQUIRY PROGRAM

SECTION 1235.110 TRANSFER OF FIREARMS

Section 1235.110 Transfer of Firearms

The transfer of the firearm(s) associated with a particular inquiry shall only occur after the withholding of delivery provisions of Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961 [720 ILCS 5/24-3] and within 30 days after the approval to transfer has been provided by the Department.

(Source: Amended at 27 Ill. Reg. 5998, effective March 21, 2003)

Thank you. Based on your post, I would interpret it to be 30 days to the exact time the background check was filed. Hoping to avoid going back after the background check expires and find out the gun was released back into inventory and sold to someone else.

In case your FFL Dealer never showed you how the FTIP Software looks, here it is:

Thank you sir. I'm going to ask to double check that screen before submission as long as they don't choose to call it in.

Anyway you can post a screenshot of the screen where you can look up the background check with the transaction #? Would be much appreciated!

Here you go sir.2c025159828392e2a6dc86305e3a96a3.jpg

Here you go sir.2c025159828392e2a6dc86305e3a96a3.jpg

Thank you!

So what happened is this particular store doesn't have the ISP portal setup. There was lots of conflicting answers among the people I spoke with but finally spoke with the right person to confirm my thoughts. They can only call in for background checks and the ISP FTIP phone # has been down for 6 months now. They said they're going to get the ball rolling on setting up the online portal but will believe it when I get the call that my background check has cleared. I might be stuck going back and filling out a monthly 4473 until well after the election. Frustrating.

So what happened is this particular store doesn't have the ISP portal setup. There was lots of conflicting answers among the people I spoke with but finally spoke with the right person to confirm my thoughts. They can only call in for background checks and the ISP FTIP phone # has been down for 6 months now. They said they're going to get the ball rolling on setting up the online portal but will believe it when I get the call that my background check has cleared. I might be stuck going back and filling out a monthly 4473 until well after the election. Frustrating.

Will they transfer the firearm to another FFL? That would be my suggestion. Have them transfer it to somewhere else that uses the online portal for FTIP, then go there for everything. It may cost you $25 or $50 that you wouldn't have to spend, but that would be worth it over waiting months.

Will they transfer the firearm to another FFL? That would be my suggestion. Have them transfer it to somewhere else that uses the online portal for FTIP, then go there for everything. It may cost you $25 or $50 that you wouldn't have to spend, but that would be worth it over waiting months.

It does not matter whether the gun shop calls it in or uses the FTIP online portal. According to ISP, each background check gets checked in the order in which it is received. Do people get skipped over "by mistake" yes, do the big box stores get preferential treatment not sure, but the ISP says they take all background checks in the order in which they receive them. I tell you this because I have complained in the past and this is what was told to me. Last week I called a number from Springfield that they called me from a few months ago to let me know I was going to have a "forever pending," because of a buyer that had a Medical Marijuana Card. I was very nice to the guy and he took a look at my bcg checks. He cleared all 6 in 3 days, actually 2 1/2 days, I was very grateful.

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

Phone: (312) 217-3863

I stopped in yesterday and two days after I refilled out the 4473, they got the portal set up:) now it's just a matter of waiting the 10 or so days for the delay to clear, or however backed up they currently are.

It does not matter whether the gun shop calls it in or uses the FTIP online portal. According to ISP, each background check gets checked in the order in which it is received. Do people get skipped over "by mistake" yes, do the big box stores get preferential treatment not sure, but the ISP says they take all background checks in the order in which they receive them. I tell you this because I have complained in the past and this is what was told to me. Last week I called a number from Springfield that they called me from a few months ago to let me know I was going to have a "forever pending," because of a buyer that had a Medical Marijuana Card. I was very nice to the guy and he took a look at my bcg checks. He cleared all 6 in 3 days, actually 2 1/2 days, I was very grateful.

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

Ernesto - kind of a silly question, but whether calling in a background check or using the portal, can approvals come back on weekends or holidays or does everything get delayed until a business day? Logic says yes, immediate approvals can come back on weekends and holidays, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance.

Instant Approvals come out whenever you run the bcg check. The system is open 24hrs so if you are an instant Approval guy/gal, I can run your bcg right now or 2am, you will still get an instant Approval. The ISP "clears" bcgs on Saturdays & Sundays but state law does not require them to do so.

Ernesto A Alcala-Owner

Ernie's Arms Accessories

• 2 months later...

Archived