Our friends at the UN...

jim schad

So, not sure if this one has already been started elsewhere, but they continue to try and help us see the error in our ways by having the 2nd Amendment.

We walked away from the "Human's Rights Counsel" why can't we just walk away altogether.

We're the ones whose support keeps the piece of excrement afloat and going...

https://townhall.com/notebook/bethbaumann/2018/06/23/round-2-un-continues-their-push-to-disarm-americans-n2493580

Pulling out may seem like the strong move in the short term. Its like the US saying "we don't care" to hear the rest of the worlds opinions about anything. But that would be an arrogant and stupid mistake imo because the UN still a useful tool. If the US isn't at the helm of this tool and using its power to influence who the UN is directed at, someone else will use it against us.

You already see this happening in certain counsels within the UN and in other organizations we have no control over at all such as the EU.

Most of the worlds major western powers are now solely focusing on degrading US influence and power the world over. They smell the blood in the water and they understand that our nation is weak right now. They understand that at least half our own country wants to help them bring us down so they can become the kings of the ashes.

I think withdrawing on a large political scale like that will only serve to embolden the enemy further.

I see the UN the same way I see my HOA. I'm on the board of directors at my home owners association because I don't approve of being told what to do on my land or of a group of busybodies telling other people what to do on theirs. By being involved I have a say in the outcome and can direct attention away from problems before they commit on a direction. Not being involved would actually be more difficult than attending quarterly meetings and fielding some emails.

Same holds true for our involment in the UN with much more at stake.

Some posts have been hidden in the interest of keeping this family friendly.

Lou, is this "family friendly?" --------

From your own page: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Double standard?

Do we really need a G-Rating standard for this adult community anyway?

Just askin'.

I see the UN the same way I see my HOA. I'm on the board of directors at my home owners association because I don't approve of being told what to do on my land or of a group of busybodies telling other people what to do on theirs. By being involved I have a say in the outcome and can direct attention away from problems before they commit on a direction. Not being involved would actually be more difficult than attending quarterly meetings and fielding some emails.

Thanks for the reminder. Many years ago I served on (chaired) a board for a not-for-profit and got p***** off with the "No good deed shall go unpunished." Quit with the results being all the other board members walked away also. The results over the next ten to twenty years were not good.

From your own page: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Double standard?

Just askin'.

No double standard. What was contrary to the Code Of Conduct was not the content of the remark but the crude way it was expressed.

For those who haven't read it lately our COC can be found here: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18164

Double standard?

Just askin'.

You thinking that is not family friendly leads me to believe you don't actually understand that quote.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We can't tell other nations to * off because our financial systems are too intertwined.

It goes back to the financial fiscal conservative thread with the question of who owns the debt. We need to be nice to allied countries otherwise they stop buying our debt and the whole system falls apart. Our credit rating goes down. When that happens you get hit with both inflation and rising interest rates.

Not to mention they buy a ton of equipment from us. We've lost our edge in that space, but it's still enough we need to keep them buying.

Double standard?

Just askin'.

You thinking that is not family friendly leads me to believe you don't actually understand that quote.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I understand the quote. Does a 6 year-old? That's the point, if we're gonna pretend to be "family friendly." We can't even use the word "heck"

We can't tell other nations to * off because our financial systems are too intertwined.

It goes back to the financial fiscal conservative thread with the question of who owns the debt. We need to be nice to allied countries otherwise they stop buying our debt and the whole system falls apart. Our credit rating goes down. When that happens you get hit with both inflation and rising interest rates.

Not to mention they buy a ton of equipment from us. We've lost our edge in that space, but it's still enough we need to keep them buying.

I think you don't know how fiat currencies work.

The US Dollar is 2/3 of the World's Foreign Exchange Reserves. This means that our paper money is backing their paper money. Every fiat currency depends on the US Dollar to back up their paper money. Without exception. There are no gold standard or silver standard countries.

When the EU, for example, has trillions of paper dollars in their vaults, they're not earning any interest. So they wind up buying US Government debt with those US Dollars. They MUST buy our debt or they lose out on interest payments.

Our government likes this situation. They get to print trillions of dollars (either on paper or electronically) with zero inflation.

I agree with the HOA idea but there everyone pays the same ;)

I think you don't know how fiat currencies work.

The US Dollar is 2/3 of the World's Foreign Exchange Reserves. This means that our paper money is backing their paper money. Every fiat currency depends on the US Dollar to back up their paper money. Without exception. There are no gold standard or silver standard countries.

When the EU, for example, has trillions of paper dollars in their vaults, they're not earning any interest. So they wind up buying US Government debt with those US Dollars. They MUST buy our debt or they lose out on interest payments.

Our government likes this situation. They get to print trillions of dollars (either on paper or electronically) with zero inflation.

But other countries can and do choose to buy different amounts of shares from other central banks, which is probably the biggest contributing factor to exchange rate fluctuations.

For the most part the government doesn't "print money" out of thin air, we sell debt. Anytime the Fed has done the equivalent of printing money in crisis it has had the obvious effects of inflation. So it's something they try to avoid.

It's the fractional reserve banking system regulated (but definitely not owned) by the Fed and other central banks around the world that actually "prints the money out of thin air" (via extending more credit then the assets they actually hold). This is very much a global operation.

The UN membership is overwhelmingly made up of totalitarian states. So when they vote, they vote overwhelmingly totalitarian.

The hypocrisy of "human rights" when they don't even believe in the human right of self defense.

Which is, as you said the motivation to ensure the members are totalitarian states. The biggest movers and shakers in the financial industry are the most vocal in civilian disarmerment. On the flipside they are very dependent on governments being very well armed and expending those arms in war.

Arms and manufacturing/technology derived/subsidized from the military industrial sector are our biggest export as well as the exports for other NATO countries. So to keep our GDP up the banking industry needs keep the money rolling into that sector and collecting those loans.

http://www.businessinsider.com/top-countries-exporting-weapons-arms-sales-2018-3

While a mercenary doesn't mind, a soldier doesn't want to be told they're dying to make bankers money. This is why for NATO we need to balance the equilibrium towards arms exports and the private security industry. The US Military needs to go back to their mission statement of maintaining OUR national security.

Pulling totally out of NATO would have a devastating effect on our economy.

This is Trump's typical "art of the deal" move. He threatens to leave NATO, but his endgame is to sell more arms to NATO while contributing less money and US Military personnel (like everything in business its an equilibrium). This is basically the same deal he's working out with the Saudi's who want to see themselves as the middle east NATO. It's also part of the trade deals in general.

But other countries can and do choose to buy different amounts of shares from other central banks, which is probably the biggest contributing factor to exchange rate fluctuations.

True, but when the $USD is 2/3 of foreign exchange reserves, it is the 800 pound gorilla of FOREX. There's not much of the other "amounts of shares"

I agree with the HOA idea but there everyone pays the same ð

Had this debate/conversation with a coworker. He viewed our financial support of UN as a tax to support âpax Americanaâ. He likened it (and all of foreign aid) as âoil on the waterâ that keeps the mass of **** hole countries from boiling over.

While it looks expensive, itâs cheaper to pay the insurance tax than deal with the boil overs and their consequences. 9/11 attacks would be an example of a boil over. The direct and indirect costs of dealing with that event were insane.

Over the long run (longer than internet attention spans) the UN has been a reasonably good tool for the world. Recent decades aside, it has largely supported the US global position. We made our own bed in our wars against communism and terrorism by supporting some really bad guys and governments who agreed to support our agenda. Lots of collateral damage in both wars and we should not be surprised that the rest of the world doesnât think we are as perfect as we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived