I've got an itch, what to get

TRJ

So as many of you know I have some health issues that I'm working through and they affect my leg, arm and hand strength. And while I've made my peace with my AR, I still secretly hate it. Keeping that in mind, on to my purchasing dilemma...

My wife is headed off to Europe for vacation without me, this means I have a few grand allocated to my fun budget. Must be time to buy a new toy.

I don't have anything in .308 yet, and have been eyeballing a SOCOM 16, but I hear the Springfield guns are kinda iffy on reliability. That said, Fulton Armory has a version http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-2-1.aspx that looks interesting to me. This thing is seriously pricey though for an "old tech" gun. As a member at ASC I'd like to get more involved in the CMP stuff and this (or an 18" scout model") might be a nice gun to do that with.

I've been wanting a 9mm carbine forever. That means I'm eyeballing a Tavor X95, a CZ Scorpion EVO carbine, and a Sig MPX carbine. Each has it's perks and drawbacks.

The X95 has one major thing in it's favor, it's a REAL gun, not a toy. With a kit it's good for 5.56 too, which makes it practical. The 9mm gun and 5.56 kit combined cost about the same as the Springfield mentioned above...but it's seems to be a better value, at least in a WROL fantasy. Keeping it real though the 9mm version is a really nice house (or house to house) gun since that what it was designed for. And it would make a neat supressor host if we ever get a foothold in Springfield.

The CZ Scorpion is also sort of a REAL gun, at least the full auto gun that inspired it is. But it's plastic bodied thing and that just seems a step too far..I know, I know...my HKs are all plastic too, and my G43, and my Shield...but they're pistols. The Scorpion has the price advantage in a big way, meaning I could buy other toys or mod the snot out of this one. I hear these supress well too, if it ever comes to pass.

The Sig MPX is expensive for what it is. My last Sig from Exeter was a let down. But Golly if I don't think the MPX is the cat's pajamas. It's metal. And I'm a brand snob. And I think I'd fit right in looking down my nose at other's on the range while I'm also looking through my sights on my MPX. But it has a rear T charging handle. I hate those.

Then I saw a Kel Tec RFB. This looks like fun, but it's a freaking Kel Tech. Brand snobs can't be seen with a Kel Tech. It must be utter garbage. Or. Maybe. Is it like the ugly promiscuous girl in your sophomore year who was tons of fun so long as your friend don't see. And while your hanging and banging with this girl you discover that she's actually pretty cool, has a great personality, and ends up being one of the few you actually miss from back in the day. Could a Kel Tec be like that?

Advice wanted.

Get a springer with full length barrel. The shorter barrels just make for noise. It sure what your health issues are but you will know that you been shooting a real rifle after a day with the M1A.

Beretta makes a cute 9mm carbine. I forget the model. Fun and cheap to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know people call it the Tavor X95 but I don't think it is, I think it is called the IWI X95

You're correct.

Really leaning this way. I've already got magazines and ammo for it kicking around. And an optic. It's enough of a real gun in 5.56 I might be able to sell my AR15 and replace it with an AR10 and a certain someone around the house won't even notice the difference.

I've shot the Tavor in 223. It's a great gun. The best role for it honestly is home defense because of the bullpup design. I'm sure one day I'll own one, but not until I have more room for more guns. Just holding it I was amazed at how small it is and how useful it would be inside the home.

The Springfield's are nice, but they're not really highly accurate 1 MOA or less rifles. Any time you have a major component of the rifle touching the barrel, you sacrifice a lot of accuracy. But this is the one thing you haven't mentioned is what are you looking for out of the rifle....just something to shoot 308 out of, or something that you can lay prone with and shoot a group that's 4" or less at 600 yards? I really like the Savage 10T I have, which is fairly inexpensive and shoots great right out of the box, but you'll need to toss a scope on it since it doesn't have any irons.

The pistol caliber carbines are fun and most USPSA matches around here are starting to allow that division to compete. If you're leaning towards one of those, and I've been looking at them as well, I've had the Sig MPX recommended as the only one to look at.

I've shot the Tavor in 223. It's a great gun. The best role for it honestly is home defense because of the bullpup design.

I think the 9mm is better for HD, IMO... less flash, less noise and with a proven LE round like Federal HST or Winchester Ranger "T" Series, the 9mm is going to be effective.

I want Bullpup everything, 9mm, 5.56 and 12 gauge.

I wish IWI would make a 12ga X95. I've been waiting for Standard Manufacturing to come out with the SKO-Bullpup, but at this point I don't think they're ever going to actually make the gun. They keep trotting out plastic models of it at each SHOT Show and they say it will be available in a few months, but then nothing ever comes of it, and in the meantime they're announcing all these different projects they're doing like the 6-shot Volley Fire, AR-15s, Single-Action revolvers... the SKO-Bullpup is vaporware and I don't think they're ever going to actually make them. Its just a prop for SHOT Show.

I might buy one of those DDI Bullpup shotguns that are being imported now...

I have an IWI Tavor and a CZ Scorpion Evo S3 Carbine (both chambered in 9mm).

They are lots of (relatively inexpensive) fun to shoot, and many ranges that have rifle restrictions will allow you shoot the pcc variants.

There are many aftermarket options available for both, some of which are manufactured in Illinois (e.g. Manticore Arms), so be prepaired to allocate some of your budget for enhancements...

-Keith.

Then I saw a Kel Tec RFB. This looks like fun, but it's a freaking Kel Tech. Brand snobs can't be seen with a Kel Tech. It must be utter garbage. Or. Maybe. Is it like the ugly promiscuous girl in your sophomore year who was tons of fun so long as your friend don't see. And while your hanging and banging with this girl you discover that she's actually pretty cool, has a great personality, and ends up being one of the few you actually miss from back in the day. Could a Kel Tec be like that?

I still have my first and only KelTec P-11.

She is tiny and homely and fits in my pocket.

Her trigger is long and stiff, even after a little fluff and buff.

She always goes bang when called upon and that first shot is dead on.

She is one of two pistols that are always loaded and ready.

Kinda like that reliable gal from High School.

If you're having problems with hand & arm strength, is a .308 really going to be 'fun' for you?

I'd lean towards the PCC, if for no other reason it sounds like you've already got other rifles. Or you can split the difference and get a PS-90.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One of my concerns is how much trouble I'll have from .308. If it's off a bench/bipod I think it might be okay. But I've only shot .308 a few times from an AR10 and an FAL before my issues began. At that time recoil felt like a push instead of a sharp poke in comparison to 5,56. I don't have anything scoped, so a .308 M1A or FAL might be a good platform for that. My club allows for shooting out to 600 yards so I have a place to practice. All said, you're probably right about .308 and biting off more than I can chew these days.

I think the prices on the Scorpion EVO are coming down, and they're very tempting.

I don't really like the AR platform but one thing it offers is standard MOA across different calibers and even shotgun. The UTAS XTR-12 is almost exactly like a standard AR.

But I really like the Bullpup design...

And then while I'm sort of debating this, there is always another handgun that comes along that I like and I end up spending my money on another handgun...

If you'd like to handle an RFB Range at 355 has one. I am 90% certain that they have a couple of Tavors, too. I know that they have some of the Sig MPX/MCX firearms, which is probably what I'd go for in 9mm.

Two friends have Tavors. We all shot in a 3-Gun match last year and that was their rifle choice. They were happy with them and had a ton of fun, which is really what it was all about. They seem heavy on paper, but they are so compact that the weight feels like it sits on your shoulder. It's very easy to wield it one-handed, such as when opening doors or whatever else. One in .223 or 9mm would suit me right down to the ground.

If it were me I would have my sights on a FN PS90 With a 16" barrel that round really comes alive . FN makes quality stuff it weighs 6.28 pounds has ambi controls and has a top rail to mount optics . Also very light recoil . 10 and 30 round mags available . The my big question also $$ and weight .308 rounds buying and lugging around VS 5.7 X 28 buying and lugging around ? If stuff got real and it was go time my Ruger 10/22 and a FN PS90 would be nice to grab and go .

M1A is a great platform but is best with standard length or scout. Heavy which is great for recoil control but not for carrying a lot (I hunted north woods Minnesota deer with a m1a bush rifle) and they have excellent iron sights but aren't easy to scope properly. I never really cared for the scout concept with LER scope but my bush rifle is very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived