best 9mm gr for carbine?

Wild Bill

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread I rolled across it looking for something else on google but was interested in the info that may be in here.

I have to chuckle some think the 9mm will magically bounce off of you ...

I wouldn't want to get shot with one personally .....

Yes a rifle cal. will do better but ultimately it's the shooter not the caliber.

Lot of people have been killed with a .22

Best tool for the job no. But it's still a decent tool.

The Gold Dot bullet design can be pushed faster and faster and doesn't seem to come apart. I'm sure there is a point at which they come apart but there are a few videos out there of them being pushed to pretty high velocities:

I know this isn't 9mm but I think the 10mm test is indicative of how the design behaves. Even when pushed to extremely high velocities where the core separates from the jacket the bullet doesn't disintegrate, but rather takes on a meteor shape.

• 3 weeks later...

In my former 'life' we primarily carried Colt 9mm SMGs as entry weapons. They were reliable, handy, and pretty effective in many defensive shootings with Winchester 115 grain +P+ loads out of the 10.5" barrels. I recall seeing one recovered bullet from an attempted murderer tg at expanded to a measured .75" after it entered the shoulder blade, took out the near lung and heart, and lodged in the pericardium after blowing the heart open. A bonded bullet from 115 - 147 grains should do.

That said, a 223/5.56 in proper format will be exponentially more lethal, and likely to penetrate LESS than a 9mm carbine. YMMV.

The other thing about a 9mm round is that it has a much shorter trajectory than a 5.56.

Yes, if you fire it at a 45 angle from the ground, it's going to go a long way, but still a lot less distance than the 5.56. Assuming a miss on a chest-high shot, the 9mm is going to be dropping 67 inches over the course of 200 yards, A 5.56 round is going to be dropping maybe 3 inches, maybe less at 200 yards.

Archived