Looking for a pro-gun (or neutral) Church in the Palatine/Arlington Heights Area

soylentgreen

Soylentgreen, It's been a month since your first post, have you found a church.

I did. It's a small Southern Baptist congregation nearby. I'm loving it. No politics. No sign on the door. Nothing but praise, worship, readings, hymns, and fellowship. AND...the service is bi-lingual. Half English and half in my wife's native tongue. That was not a requirement...but we just happened upon it. Lots of other people with small kids too. We are very excited.

Is it a Southern Baptist church? Newsmax.com lists the Southern Baptist denomination as one of the 5 most conservative denominations on gun control. I don't think the Southern Baptist denomination has the top down influence some others have, on matters like gun control. There is a Southern Bsptist Church here in Southern Illinois that is posted, but only one that I know of. I'm sure it didn't come from the denomination's president. Some denominations like Presbyterian Church USA consider local property as beloning to the denomination. This gives them a lot of control over local churches.

Glad you found a church you like.

Is it a Southern Baptist church? Newsmax.com lists the Southern Baptist denomination as one of the 5 most conservative denominations on gun control. I don't think the Southern Baptist denomination has the top down influence some others have, on matters like gun control. There is a Southern Bsptist Church here in Southern Illinois that is posted, but only one that I know of. I'm sure it didn't come from the denomination's president. Some denominations like Presbyterian Church USA consider local property as beloning to the denomination. This gives them a lot of control over local churches.

Do you have a link to that list? I would be interested in seeing it.

Soylentgreen, It's been a month since your first post, have you found a church.

I did. It's a small Southern Baptist congregation nearby. I'm loving it. No politics. No sign on the door. Nothing but praise, worship, readings, hymns, and fellowship. AND...the service is bi-lingual. Half English and half in my wife's native tongue. That was not a requirement...but we just happened upon it. Lots of other people with small kids too. We are very excited.

Thank you. I'm pretty happy.

It's a small congregation and it seems very independent. The pastor literally built the thing from the ground up. I've been able to have one-on-one conversations with him. Very down-to-earth. I felt that if he did decide to post, I could talk to him about it and convince him to remove it. But, I don't think it's even on his radar. He's too busy doing God's work.

Here is the link to the article, http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/christian-gun-control-religion-conservative/2015/05/06/id/642822/ you'll also find the 7 most liberal churches on gun control.

Well so much for trying to add a link, I'm computer challenged. If you go to google and search 5 most conservative christian denominations on gun control you should get to it. That is how I found it.

Here is the link to the article, http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/christian-gun-control-religion-conservative/2015/05/06/id/642822/ you'll also find the 7 most liberal churches on gun control.

bad link.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/christian-gun-control-religion-conservative/2015/05/06/id/642822/

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/christian-gun-control-liberal-church/2015/05/07/id/643119/

Thanks Interestedbystander for giving a good link. I'm computer challenged. I find it interesting that Society of Friends (Quakers) who are pacifists are listed among the 5 most conservative denominations on gun control. I guess they aren't "anti-self defense" just "anti-war".

You had a couple of characters, basically a space, after the last "/" in the URL which made it invalid.

Thanks for the link! The articles have some glaring errors though. I see they mentioned Quakers on both the "pro" and the "anti" list. Also, the Mormon church has posted notice of "no firearms" on all their churches in Utah: https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/general-information/houses-of-worship-prohibiting-firearms-on-premises/ so I don't see how they are pro-2a.

Thanks Interestedbystander for giving a good link. I'm computer challenged. I find it interesting that Society of Friends (Quakers) who are pacifists are listed among the 5 most conservative denominations on gun control. I guess they aren't "anti-self defense" just "anti-war".

You had a couple of characters, basically a space, after the last "/" in the URL which made it invalid.

Xwing, You are right, the second link you posted gives a list of 7 Christian denominations with a liberal stand on gun control. Something interesting is Southern Baptist and Society of Friends is on both lists. Maybe they should be listed as neutral. Richard Land is listed as a spokesman for the Southern Baptist Convention and is under the liberal heading. He was president of their Ethics and Religious Liberty Committee but retired in 2013. He is now president of Southern Evangelical Seminary, a non-denominational seminary. I found an NPR interview with him on gun contol and he seems more neutral. He admits he owns a handgun but does favor universal background checks, and limits on what weapons can be owned and high capacity magazines. He did lose a radio program when he defended George Zimmerman and criticized Al Sharpton and others for using the incident to further their agendas.

Now the Evangelical Lutheran church does favor gun control, the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church has been neutral because they say the Bible doesn't speak on it. There is also the Lutheran Church Wisconsin Synod, don't know their stand, there may be other smaller denominations (I'm not Lutheran)

They also mention Presbyterians being liberal on gun control. Again liberal Presbyterian Church USA does favor gun control. The much smaller Presbyterian Church in American (Names are too similar I know)and Orthodox Presbyterian are neutral as are some other smaller Presbyterian denominations. I believe the Reformed Episcopal Church denomination is neutral as well, the liberal Episcopal Church U.S. is not. I am sure their may be a few pastors in some of these denominations churches that are pro-gun rights as well.

Archived