Sandy Hook case against Remington (Bushmaster) Dismissed

A Connecticut Superior Court judge has dismissed the families' case against Remington for the Sandy Hook school shootings.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/health/sandy-hook-lawsuit-gun-maker/

This lawsuit was totally bogus. As tragic as it was for all the families, the lawyers sucked them in.

I feel for the Families Loss . However I hope they lose their Lifes savings having to pay for the nonsense .

Sidenote this will happen again and again Idiots will never learn

Do we know which anti groups were behind this?

These scumbag anti's are disgusting human beings. They're using these grieving families as pawns in their game, and just means to an end.

I'm currently arguing with a friend who is law school right now, and he's somewhat of an anti, but not really. He's trying to tell me that this attorney isn't being paid, that he took this case up all on his own, pro bono. I find that incredibly hard to believe considering that any lawyer would know that they have 0 chance of winning a case like this. This lawyer was being paid by one or more of the anti groups. I'd love to find out which one/s.

These scumbag anti's are disgusting human beings. They're using these grieving families as pawns in their game, and just means to an end.

I'm currently arguing with a friend who is law school right now, and he's somewhat of an anti, but not really. He's trying to tell me that this attorney isn't being paid, that he took this case up all on his own, pro bono. I find that incredibly hard to believe considering that any lawyer would know that they have 0 chance of winning a case like this. This lawyer was being paid by one or more of the anti groups. I'd love to find out which one/s.

Your law school friend is likely right, in a way. Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder is a Connecticut vulture law firm and I doubt they have gotten any fees or even any expenses. They take cases like these on a contingency fee basis, suing for huge damages, and usually taking about 1/3 of the proceeds as fees if they are successful. I don't see any evidence anywhere that there are any antis helping to pay their fees. Neither any research nor the expected fact pattern seem to fit.

That said, it's so easy for a vulture law firm to do this stuff. They suck in the victims, file the paperwork, make bizarre arguments, and hope to get lucky. Only here, they didn't. Sometimes justice does actually prevail.

Edit: And it's definitely not "pro bono" That means, "for the common good" translation, for free. These guys are out for the big reward, and it's definitely not for free! They want a huge payday.

Your law school friend is likely right, in a way. Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder is a Connecticut vulture law firm and I doubt they have gotten any fees or even any expenses. They take cases like these on a contingency fee basis, suing for huge damages, and usually taking about 1/3 of the proceeds as fees if they are successful. I don't see any evidence anywhere that there are any antis helping to pay their fees. Neither any research nor the expected fact pattern seem to fit.

That said, it's so easy for a vulture law firm to do this stuff. They suck in the victims, file the paperwork, make bizarre arguments, and hope to get lucky. Only here, they didn't. Sometimes justice does actually prevail.

Edit: And it's definitely not "pro bono" That means, "for the common good" translation, for free. These guys are out for the big reward, and it's definitely not for free! They want a huge payday.

Supposedly they're not allowed to directly contact the families in cases like that to get business. I really don't know though.

Pro Bono my a**. It was funded by someone, just not the families (i.e., it was not pro bono). I'm sure whoever represented the families was paid, and would probably have gotten a portion of the settlement had they won the case. The biggest problem with these BS lawsuits is that over time they erode the public conscience, making the ridiculous (holding gun manufacturers responsible for criminal acts) seem reasonable. And that's the goal of the sponsor, who shall probably remain anonymous.

This is along the lines of certain people running for public office. It used to be that if you committed a crime or people thought you did something "unsavory," you didn't run. Even the product of one of the most "entitled" families ever, Ted Kennedy, excused himself from consideration when Chappaquiddick was mentioned. People now don't see things that way, and it's not the politicians' fault. We're the one's who vote for them (no matter the party). And it's us that don't seem to care when things don't work out until the end when all heck breaks loose. The painful truth is that the crappy choices we have right now are mostly (cheating not considered) our own doing. The only hope now is to vote with your conscience, and that means you have to vote. Casing a 3rd party vote or staying home is not voting, no matter what you tell your neighbors or friends. No vote is a vote for Hillary, as is a 3rd party vote. Illinois doesn't have to be a blue state, but it will be if people don't get out and vote their conscience.

Its more like 50% + expenses

Just the same someone has to pay for Remingtons legal expenses Do they Not ??????????

DD123, they can contact the families. This is the modern era of attorney "ethics." You and I grew up in the era when attorneys were not even allowed to advertise. Things have changed. See the billboards? See the tv ads?

Eric D. Nobody funded this. The vultures take it on a contingency basis. That's why the families hired them.....no out of pocket cost. Arguably, they might have been smarter to enlist the financial help of some antis, but this is such a loser case that even the dumbest of the antis (and that's saying something!) wouldn't put up a dime to advance this cause. So these legal bozos roll the dice, push a lousy case, and hope they get lucky. And, often they do!

The really sad thing is that these families are being twice victimized. First, loss of their kids. Second, being led down the false path of some kind of recovery, or revenge against Remington, or whatever they've bought into (for free) in a legal case with no chance whatsoever of any favorable result for them, because this is a hopeless case. Meanwhile, the law firm vultures string them along, because they can, and probably will, appeal the dismissal. It costs the vultures nothing but a little time and filing fees to keep moving this forward. And the families that have signed on to this....so sad.

DoverGunner

The general rule, by statute, for lawyer's contingency fees in Connecticut is as follows:

(In any such contingency fee agreement such fee shall be the exclusive method for payment of the attorney by the claimant and shall not exceed an amount equal to a percentage of the damages awarded and received by the claimant or of the settlement amount received by the claimant as follows: (1) Thirty-three and one-third per cent of the first three hundred thousand dollars; (2) twenty-five per cent of the next three hundred thousand dollars; (3) twenty per cent of the next three hundred thousand dollars; (4) fifteen per cent of the next three hundred thousand dollars; and (5) ten per cent of any amount which exceeds one million two hundred thousand dollars.

In other words, 1/3 and declining for scale. No way it's 50% plus expenses.

I see no reason not to believe that at least some of the families were thinking lawsuit of some type from the beginning.

Many of the claims of the interviewer and lawyer were disgusting and ridiculous. The hunting term "big game" has always referred to large animals. They mocked the "Man Card" Bushmaster ad. The Bushmaster was the mother's gun, not the killer's.

Are not attorneys rated by their superiors by case success? If an attorney (or attorneys) take on too many cases that didn't generate any revenue like this one, and added huge costs to the firm, I'd think they'd get fired.

It is for this reason I doubt that this case was taken strictly on contingency - unless they put not many hours into the case. I suspect someone showed up with a briefcase full of money, or maybe one of the lawyers wants to run as a leftist politician and wanted to put this in their campaign ad, or was a crony of a leftist politician. Maybe one of the partners is a leftist politician and will be saying that he sued the gun manufacturers (shhh, don't mention the loss).

There must be some benefit to the firm.

I hope the law firm is sanctioned for costs.

There is coming a time when, as more progressive judges are appointed at Federal levels, the likelihood of one reviewing a case like this will see standing and allow it to proceed.

Yeah, and that time is coming fast! As in November 8, 2016.

The case - according to the shyster's website - is Soto et al v Bushmaster. FBT CV 15 6048103 S, and it includes many gems:

4. The AR-15 was designed as a military weapon. Born out of the exigencies of modern combat, the AR-15 was engineered to deliver maximum carnage with extreme

efficiency.

5. The AR-15 proved to be very good at its job. It has endured as the United States Army's standard-issue rifle and has more recently become a valuable law enforcement weapon.

In both contexts, soldiers and officers must undergo advanced training and adhere to regimented safety protocols.

6. The AR-15, however, has little utility for legitimate civilian purposes. The rifle's size and overwhelming :firepower, so well adapted to the battlefield, are liabilities in home defense.

7. But there is one civilian activity in which the AR-15 reigns supreme: mass shootings. Time and again, mentally unstable individuals and criminals have acquired an AR-15 with ease, and they have unleashed the rifle's lethal power into our streets, our malls, our places of worship, and our schools.

8. Defendants - makers and sellers of the Bushmaster XM15-E2S - have, like all Americans, watched mass shootings become a harrowing yet predictable part of modem life.

9. Defendants know that, as a consequence of selling AR-15s to the civilian market, individuals unfit to operate these weapons gain access to them.

10. And defendants know that the AR-15's military firepower, unsuited to personal defense or recreation, enables an individual in possession of the weapon to inflict unparalleled civilian carnage.

11. Despite that knowledge, defendants continued to sell the Bushmaster XMl 5-E2S to the civilian market.

12. In order to continue profiting from the sale of AR-15s, defendants chose to disregard the unreasonable risks the Bushmaster XM15-E2S posed outside of specialized, highly regulated institutions like the armed forces and law enforcement.

13. Plaintiffs seek nothing more and nothing less than accountability for the consequences of that choice.

Wow 4-13 all pathetic lies. No wonder the judge dismissed it.

4. The AR-15 was designed as a military weapon. Born out of the exigencies of modern combat, the AR-15 was engineered to deliver maximum carnage with extreme

efficiency.

The AR-15 was designed as a civilian rifle, check the history. It is not the M-16 or the M-4 which are automatic and designed for the military. A .223 bullet wasn't engineered to deliver maximum carnage because is one of the smallest and least powerful bullets compared to most rifle bullets but designed for the rifle to be light and to wound the enemy and take them out of the fight. The military has been asking for years for more powerful bullets as in Somalia the bullets went through insurgents and they kept advancing.

5. The AR-15 proved to be very good at its job. It has endured as the United States Army's standard-issue rifle and has more recently become a valuable law enforcement weapon.

In both contexts, soldiers and officers must undergo advanced training and adhere to regimented safety protocols.

It has become the best selling civilian rifle in America and for good reasons. There is no advanced training or regimented safety protocols needed as is similar to other rifles. More lies.

6. The AR-15, however, has little utility for legitimate civilian purposes. The rifle's size and overwhelming :firepower, so well adapted to the battlefield, are liabilities in home defense.

The AR-15 has a lot of utility for legitimate civilian purpose thats why is the best selling rifle. To the contrary the rifle's size which the stock can be adjusted and customized and this feature and low recoil make it very appealing for self defense. The pistol grip and flash supressor or muzzle brake don't make it an "assault weapon" either but are used so people are not blinded by the flash at night and don't go deaf from the noise of the blast. Also the handguard or barrel shroud is used so people don't burn their hands. The propaganda and lies say these features make it an "assault weapon". A 30 round magazine is standard capacity and needed for self defense and a 10 round magazine is low capacity and the billionaire king from New York can't decide what capacity we think is appropriate to defend ourselves and the more rounds the better. Just because criminals who disregard laws anyway use them to commit crimes is not an excuse to make them illegal for more than 99.9% of law abiding gun owners. So essentially a rifle is called a deadly "assault weapon" by the way is held, shouldered and gripped. The definition keeps changing and this bogus excuse is used in some places by politicians paid by the king in New York to advance his agenda and take people's 2nd amendment rights. There is no such thing as an assault weapon and it was coined by Hitler for propaganda for the Sturmgewehr 44 rifle which was automatic.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjp1s_Uyt7PAhUCPj4KHUooC7kQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.m.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAssault_rifle&usg=AFQjCNGM-FLwcIaSEcAC4xNljRZzd0Ia7Q

It was resurrected in the 80's by Josh Sugarman and has been pushed by the controlled media since then for propaganda and is a conspiracy to outlaw modern sporting rifles and is funded by the king as is this lawsuit. Also funded the laws passed in New York in the middle of the night and Connecticut, Maryland, Colorado and California after Sandy Hook. The underwhelming firepower make it so well adapted to civilians. It has almost no recoil when fired which even women and children can shoot and have used in self defense which are assets for home defense. They can't do that with a shotgun which is a lot more powerful and uncomfortable and painful to shoot.

7. But there is one civilian activity in which the AR-15 reigns supreme: mass shootings. Time and again, mentally unstable individuals and criminals have acquired an AR-15 with ease, and they have unleashed the rifle's lethal power into our streets, our malls, our places of worship, and our schools.

More propaganda, less than 3% of shootings are done with modern sporting rifles. Blame the criminals not the rifles which in most cases were not acquired legally.

8. Defendants - makers and sellers of the Bushmaster XM15-E2S - have, like all Americans, watched mass shootings become a harrowing yet predictable part of modem life.

Which doesn't make them responsible for the actions of criminals and no laws will have prevented those shootings.

9. Defendants know that, as a consequence of selling AR-15s to the civilian market, individuals unfit to operate these weapons gain access to them.

99.9% of law abiding gun owners use these rifles for lawful purposes and the unfit individuals don't get them legally and have to pass a background check.

10. And defendants know that the AR-15's military firepower, unsuited to personal defense or recreation, enables an individual in possession of the weapon to inflict unparalleled civilian carnage.

More hyperbole and demonizing of a rifle. That's what makes it the best selling rifle in America because is best suited for self defense and recreation and that's why people buy them.

11. Despite that knowledge, defendants continued to sell the Bushmaster XMl 5-E2S to the civilian market.

It was designed for the civilian market and is legal to sell contrary to the king's wishes.

12. In order to continue profiting from the sale of AR-15s, defendants chose to disregard the unreasonable risks the Bushmaster XM15-E2S posed outside of specialized, highly regulated institutions like the armed forces and law enforcement.

There is no unreasonable risk because is a rifle similar to other rifles and designed for civilians. This is America and we have the Constitution and rights and freedoms. This is not a police state or a banana Republic that only people who have money and connections have rights and can defend themselves. When you ban them from your bodyguards which we can't afford. There is a reason why law enforcement uses these rifles and they call them personal defense weapons not assault weapons.

13. Plaintiffs seek nothing more and nothing less than accountability for the consequences of that choice.

Plaintiffs seek to take people rights away with lies and to set a legal precedent. Accountability belongs to the criminal who committed the crime and lawful gun owners and companies who make these rifles should not be punished for his actions. Outlawing these rifles will give criminals the upper hand.

Don't you love how it takes, what, two years to resolve a statutorily barred lawsuit? Plain and simple, PLCAA bars vicarious liability actions against firearm manufacturers. It is not ambiguous. No analysis necessary. Should have been chucked at the first status hearing.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived