New to AR-15, recommend a rifle rest to zero a red dot?

Constable85

You don't really need a fancy rifle rest to zero anything with a red dot imo. Just rest the gun on a sandbag, your folded up carrying case (that you don't mind getting dirty and full of lead dust) or anything like that. That's even how I zero scoped rifles. I never noticed any difference in the ability of a rifle to be zeroed with a purpose built rifle rest vs whatever you have laying around to prop it up with personally. YMMV.

If you are going to zero it that close, why not just use a laser boresight?

I might take a trip out to Buffalo Range to zero it. Then again, I'm kind of lazy and might not. They make targets for zeroing red dots at 25 yards that are supposed to be equal to zeroing at 100 yards. I'll probably go to RKA and do it. Something new to try.

If you are going to zero it that close, why not just use a laser boresight?

I might take a trip out to Buffalo Range to zero it. Then again, I'm kind of lazy and might not. They make targets for zeroing red dots at 25 yards that are supposed to be equal to zeroing at 100 yards. I'll probably go to RKA and do it. Something new to try.

GAT guns also has an indoor rifle range that has 50 and 75 yard lanes.

Not what you asked, but a (roughly) 50/200 zero is a flatter trajectory and closer to intended point of aim over more ground.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/02/13/zeroing-target-50200-yard-zero-at-10-yards/

I always just use my range bag. I figure if I ever get forced into using a rifle it will be a situation where I won't have any modern conveniences like rests or nice sandbags so I might as well get comfortable shooting off the bag I plan to grab on the way out the door.

What kind of dot/ mount do you have, and how does it co-witness the irons?

This thread contains the targets you need to do a 50 or 100 yard zero on a 25 yard range:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Zero_Targets_Optimized_for_Red_Dot_Style_Optics__Aimpoint__EOTech__etc____/18-529846/?

Those targets will get you pretty close and then you can fine-tune when you can get a chance to shoot at that actual distance...

TRJ said:

"Not what you asked, but a (roughly) 50/200 zero is a flatter trajectory and closer to intended point of aim over more ground."

Sage advice given by TRJ. After this at 25 meters you would aim just a tad lower and you will be on the money.

I use a 50/200 yard zero and try to use 55gr M193 ammo.

This chart gives you a good idea of what a 50/200 zero is.

***. Well it would if I could get the chart to load. ****

Can anyone recommend a budget rifle rest that I could use to zero my red dot at an indoor range (25 yards)? I'm new to Ar-15's and need some recommendations. Thanks!

If you are in the Chicago area I will happily give you my Lead Sled if you will get some use out of it. I have been in a pretty bad way due to a torn up knee in 2015 that has been reinjured to the point of near uselessness. I havnt used it in 3 years. Its yours if you want to pick it up, but you might want to consider a few small sandbags for future use. They more realistically approximate an improvised rest, and are a heck of a lot more comfortable prone.

Rocco

Can anyone recommend a budget rifle rest that I could use to zero my red dot at an indoor range (25 yards)? I'm new to Ar-15's and need some recommendations. Thanks!

If you are in the Chicago area I will happily give you my Lead Sled if you will get some use out of it. I have been in a pretty bad way due to a torn up knee in 2015 that has been reinjured to the point of near uselessness. I havnt used it in 3 years. Its yours if you want to pick it up, but you might want to consider a few small sandbags for future use. They more realistically approximate an improvised rest, and are a heck of a lot more comfortable prone.

Rocco

If the OP isn't interested in your Lead Sled, I would happily take it off your hands. I have been looking to acquire one for a bit but never got around to it. I'm up on the North Side, near Irving Park/Albany Park area, but I would gladly travel to wherever needed to pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

That will work. Im in Park Ridge, right down the street so to speak. Ill message you when I get home.

Was that a reply to my posting? I had some personal issues to deal with and got side-tracked from online stuff, but if you still have the sled and are willing to part with it, please let me know.

I tried to PM you, but got the message that you can't receive any more of those.

Archived