Update 9/16 talks with state police

Tvandermyde

Oh, if I get the green light for a signed column, there will be dang little positive about it. Bottm line question for ISP: "Y'all unable or unwilling?"

Sorry, but that's what it comes down to.

My app will probably get approved when hades freezes over.

Todd and I both have explained that they are "unable" until the computer fix is in. Why would you run an article asking if they are unwilling?

Oh, if I get the green light for a signed column, there will be dang little positive about it. Bottm line question for ISP: "Y'all unable or unwilling?"

Todd and I both have explained that they are "unable" until the computer fix is in. Why would you run an article asking if they are unwilling?

molly .... are we talking a day ot two or more like a couple weeks?

You and Todd don't owe anyone any answers.

ISP, on the other hand, is a state-funded agency under a mandate from the General Assembly. While they do not have a mandate per certifiying instructors, they do have some deadlines to meet, and this -- unless fixed -- could jam that up.

Also, I said "column" ... signed, with my handsome mug on top, on the op-ed page.

If you'd truly like me to hold off, pm me. I value your advice.

So they really are unable to process a single instructor application, or a single curriculum application?

So for the disbelief, but if they have such a catastrophic failure, maybe a small statement with a little transparency from the ISP would help things out.

So for the disbelief, but if they have such a catastrophic failure, maybe a small statement with a little transparency from the ISP would help things out.

I don't think it would. If those folks won't believe Todd and I, two people they know and trust, I dare say they won't believe the ISP either. They seem to want to believe the conspiracy, foot-dragging, intentional sabotage theory. Can't seem to convince them otherwise.

And no dis to you at all, Molly, but to a degree the state is the state and sets its priorities. If it can afford $700,000 for copper plated doors to the statehouse, could it afford to bring in some pros to look at ISP's issues?

It's a rhetorical question. I know you are not the state.

But sometimes, in Illinois, state agencies don't understand jack until there's a fire burning under their tushies. You remember the governor/IDOC's first early release program. That went horribly. And silently, too, until the AP busted them out.

You see the story the Illinois Policy Institue guy did on how much Madigan and Cullerton spent on use of state planes?

We Everyday Joes and Josephines don't renew plates, licenses, pay taxes on time, etc., we get fined and such. The state can't make its own deadlines or pay its bills on time ... "Whatever. Just the way it is."

Forgot being a firearms instructor for a moment ... the everyday grind of it just gets old.

I don't think it would. If those folks won't believe Todd and I, two people they know and trust, I dare say they won't believe the ISP either. They seem to want to believe the conspiracy, foot-dragging, intentional sabotage theory. Can't seem to convince them otherwise.

Really? They have all of our email addresses, submitted electronically during the application process to a database that they have. I know I for one would cut a little slack if I got a simple email saying sorry for the delay in processing applications guys but were having a few problems, etc., etc.

And no dis to you at all, Molly, but to a degree the state is the state and sets its priorities. If it can afford $700,000 for copper plated doors to the statehouse, could it afford to bring in some pros to look at ISP's issues?

But sometimes, in Illinois, state agencies don't understand jack until there's a fire burning under their tushies. You remember the governor/IDOC's first early release program. That went horribly. And silently, too, until the AP busted them out.

You see the story the Illinois Policy Institue guy did on how much Madigan and Cullerton spent on use of state planes?

We Everyday Joes and Josephines don't renew plates, licenses, pay taxes on time, etc., we get fined and such. The state can't make its own deadlines or pay its bills on time ... "Whatever. Just the way it is."

Forgot being a firearms instructor for a moment ... the everyday grind of it just gets old.

Oh, I agree, it's just that in all the years we've been involved in this fight, not one media outlet or group has ever gotten behind the Right to Carry fight. I'll be shocked, shocked I tell you, if anyone other than the chief sponsors of the law rise up in support of us or indignation at how this is being handled.

Oh, I agree, it's just that in all the years we've been involved in this fight, not one media outlet or group has ever gotten behind the Right to Carry fight. I'll be shocked, shocked I tell you, if anyone other than the chief sponsors of the law rise up in support of us or indignation at how this is being handled.

Sounded to me like MGFs column might rise up in support of us and express indignation at how this is being handled. If it gets to a media outlet I can't see how it could hurt.

Looks like Maryland is also having difficulties.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41388&do=findComment&comment=564863

Here is another teaser:

You demonstrate a total absence of professionalism throughout the editorial, beginning with your very first sentence, characterizing the debate over Maryland’s undisputed delays in processing background checks for prospective purchasers as “crying.”

Molly, I don't think it's distrust for you and Todd. I think it's anger with the state's ineptitude.

As Todd wrote, ISP spent 30 days trying to get out from under the burden. Heck, Brandon's only been introducing that same bill for how many years? And they run FOID. And they thought someone else was going to handle this?

Distrust for you and Todd -- no.

Distrust for Pat Quinn and Hiram Grau -- yes.

They have power to fix this. The question is, will they?

No conspiracy theorizing ... just a 49 year old citizen who was born, raised and educated here. And for some reason I stay. Personally, I'm tired of the state being in a sorry state of affairs.

The current constipation at ISP is neither your fault nor Todd's -- but it's somebody's. And they are either in state office or on the state payroll.

Sometimes the only way to get noticed and get things done is by making waves. Make Quinn and his administrators squirm by negative media that reflects poorly on him. To quiet it down, he will respond.

OK, I'm "outing" myself here, and I don't know how my editor or publisher will feel about it, but I work for a small- to medium-size newspaper in Southern Illinois. We do have a good-size Web and social media reach, though.

In any case, our editorial page the last four or five years has been pretty solidly Pro-2A. You can check that with Brandon. We also run stories on HS shooting clubs, briefs for Friends of the NRA dinners, announcements of the Williamson County sheriff's continuing one-day firearm safety courses for his residents, etc.

In fact, here's an opinion column of mine from spring 2012:

http://thesouthern.c...1871e3ce6c.html

And here's a Page 1A Sunday story from this spring that my boss assigned me (probably because he knew I had the contacts):

http://thesouthern.c...19bb2963f4.html

Southern Illinois on the sparse side in terms of population, but not in terms of shooters. And, to give a shout out to two of my own training counselors, the Heartland Training Team has done tons for accuracy in the media when it comes to gun issues by making themselves, their classrooms and their firing lines accessible to news people.

Sorry about the thread drift.

Strange days when people are being dissuaded from exercising their 1st Amendment right by a website that focuses on their 2nd Amendment right.

We've been told to contact our elected officials, only to now see one of those telling us to do that believes it's essentially pointless because they won't actually do anything.

I realize I'm a lowly '13er, but something doesn't smell right. Would the tune be different if CLIC was approved?

Strange days when people are being dissuaded from exercising their 1st Amendment right by a website that focuses on their 2nd Amendment right.

We've been told to contact our elected officials, only to now see one of those telling us to do that believes it's essentially pointless because they won't actually do anything.

I realize I'm a lowly '13er, but something doesn't smell right. Would the tune be different if CLIC was approved?

Sir or madam, I think you are unintentionally out of line. Molly B has been out front from the start and, IMO, now is doing what she can via persuasion and negotiation. No one perhaps Ms. Shepard has put more on the line than Molly. I think hinting at chicanery on her part is ill-informed. Respectfully submitted.

The price tag of the capital building renovation is set at $50 Million dollars and the price of the supreme court building is $12.6 Million dollars which should be pointed out at orals since it strengthens our case since if that money financed the ISP we would likely already have a carry system in place.

Who wants to go have lunch with me and harass the crap out of Quinn?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkptno1pfvm2u29/Quinn%20Postcard.pdf

I'm not forgetting what Molly has done. I just know enough about how this state works. I would have no problem if what was in my first post was true as long as we are aware. CLIC is going to be a big help for the process, so if we should be quiet until its approved, so be it. It's no surprise to many of us how the Illinois political machine works, so if the game must be played then we play it. The game has been played against this cause for long enough, so it would be sweet if it was our turn to play.

Questioning why we would or dissuading is from the exercise of our 1st Amendment right or calling people conspiracy theorists bothers me though. And it makes it seem like we are being played again.

Archived