Old permit, now what?

Kaeghl

Okay, I just got the reminder letter from ISP about getting my permit renewed. So far, no problem....but I wondered, what do I do with the old one?

The law says the permits remain the property of the ISP, they just have our names and addresses on them. And if revoked, must be sent back to the ISP.

Do the old, expired actual permits have to be sent back? Or do/can we keep them in the drawer with the old expired Florida permits with Charles Bronson's signature on them?

Okay, I just got the reminder letter from ISP about getting my permit renewed. So far, no problem....but I wondered, what do I do with the old one?

The law says the permits remain the property of the ISP, they just have our names and addresses on them. And if revoked, must be sent back to the ISP.

Do the old, expired actual permits have to be sent back? Or do/can we keep them in the drawer with the old expired Florida permits with Charles Bronson's signature on them?

Where do you see in the FCCA or on your old CCL that the card is the property of the ISP? The only mention of the "property" that I can find in the FCCA regards real property. None the uses of the word "license" says that the ISP owns the card. All uses of "possession" refer to the licensee possessing the card and/or a concealed firearm.

Destroy it or keep it locked up in safe place as a souvenir, if you want.

I will not comply, its expired so it's my souvenir. I also have a FL permit autographed by Charles Bronson. I have one from rockstar Denny Nau too.

Comrade Pritzker thinks he's screwing gun owners by starving the licensing department for resources.

That's OK.

I'll be carrying on an expired license for the next decade...

Is JB planning on doing the same thing Quinn did (slashing department funding to <50%)?

Probably not. I would expect JB to increase funding and than direct ISP to use the funding to collect revoked FOIDs and confiscate guns.

Comrade Pritzker thinks he's screwing gun owners by starving the licensing department for resources.

That's OK.

I'll be carrying on an expired license for the next decade...

Is JB planning on doing the same thing Quinn did (slashing department funding to <50%)?
It is explicitly called out in the law how much of each fee goes into the ISP firearm services fund. It would be interesting to know if it was getting appropriated elsewhere. (or how much exists in current fund)

======

State Police Firearm Services Funding - amount per fee going to fund

FOID (over 2.1M issued)

$3 per new card

$10 per renewal

$5 per corrected or replacement card

CCL (over 301K issued)

$120 per new or renewal card

$250 per non-resident new or renewal card

$60 per replacement card

(20 ILCS 2605/2605-595)

Sec. 2605-595. State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(a) There is created in the State treasury a special fund known as the State Police Firearm Services Fund. The Fund shall receive revenue under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act and Section 5 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The Fund may also receive revenue from grants, pass-through grants, donations, appropriations, and any other legal source.

(b ) The Department of State Police may use moneys in the Fund to finance any of its lawful purposes, mandates, functions, and duties under the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act and the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, including the cost of sending notices of expiration of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, concealed carry licenses, the prompt and efficient processing of applications under the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act and the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, the improved efficiency and reporting of the LEADS and federal NICS law enforcement data systems, and support for investigations required under these Acts and law. Any surplus funds beyond what is needed to comply with the aforementioned purposes shall be used by the Department to improve the Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) and criminal history background check system.

(c ) Investment income that is attributable to the investment of moneys in the Fund shall be retained in the Fund for the uses specified in this Section.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-756, eff. 7-16-14.)

That's interesting how the funding works, I've heard about the fees (as well as potential fines outlined in the act) getting put into that as well as a couple others (at least, according to the FOID/CCL acts).
There was a post here a while back stating Illinois profits from CCLs. They shouldn't be making any profit on that. If they are, it's unconstitutional. They can't make a profit off of "allowing" us to exercise a right. It's like requiring a $150 permit to assemble, then saying "well, we're netting 75 bucks a pop on these." They can (should only be able to) get away with charging cost. No more.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived