National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Going to House Floor Soon

Sigma

The issue with repeal...Even tho the Average Joe can't get a permit, there are plenty of "upper crust" folks that do have them in those states...and THEY won't want to give them up.

unfortunately they will have IL as a model to designate such "upper crust" folks as conservators of the peace or some such and wedge some legal carry for them

The issue with repeal...Even tho the Average Joe can't get a permit, there are plenty of "upper crust" folks that do have them in those states...and THEY won't want to give them up.

unfortunately they will have IL as a model to designate such "upper crust" folks as conservators of the peace or some such and wedge some legal carry for them

My understanding is that this is no longer the case. Back in the 80's there was a lot of that going on, but since then the laws have changed to require that these folks pass the same POST as a cop and complete the 400 hour police training...

heck I have a buddy that is a Will county reserve sheriff, patrols 16 hours a week or so, badge, uniform, duty weapon. Completed the 400 hours of training yet still cannot carry off duty...

Anyway, we all have heard the anecdotal stories about politicians and Chicago Aldermen being able to carry, but I want someone to point out where in Illinois law that resides, because I dont believe it is still there. if it is we should have made a bigger deal about it.

My understanding is that this is no longer the case. Back in the 80's there was a lot of that going on, but since then the laws have changed to require that these folks pass the same POST as a cop and complete the 400 hour police training...

heck I have a buddy that is a Will county reserve sheriff, patrols 16 hours a week or so, badge, uniform, duty weapon. Completed the 400 hours of training yet still cannot carry off duty...

Anyway, we all have heard the anecdotal stories about politicians and Chicago Aldermen being able to carry, but I want someone to point out where in Illinois law that resides, because I dont believe it is still there. if it is we should have made a bigger deal about it.

I would like to see it as well. At the same time I find it hard to believe one of the kings would ever be charged

I don't know if it's still in the city charter, but aldermen are (or were) considered law enforcement officers.

IF right to carry passes, they will be subject to the same training requirements as those who lawfully carry.

Elected officials or not, they're not exempt from the law unless done so through legislation. And that will NEVER pass.

I don't know if it's still in the city charter, but aldermen are (or were) considered law enforcement officers.

IF right to carry passes, they will be subject to the same training requirements as those who lawfully carry.

Elected officials or not, they're not exempt from the law unless done so through legislation. And that will NEVER pass.

It is not a matter of a city charter, but state law:

(65 ILCS 5/3.1-15-25) (from Ch. 24, par. 3.1-15-25) Sec. 3.1-15-25. Conservators of the peace; service of warrants. (a) After receiving a certificate attesting to the successful completion of a training course administered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board, the mayor, aldermen, president, trustees, marshal, deputy marshals, and policemen in municipalities shall be conservators of the peace. Those persons and others authorized by ordinance shall have power (i) to arrest or cause to be arrested, with or without process, all persons who break the peace or are found violating any municipal ordinance or any criminal law of the State, (ii) to commit arrested persons for examination, (iii) if necessary, to detain arrested persons in custody over night or Sunday in any safe place or until they can be brought before the proper court, and (iv) to exercise all other powers as conservators of the peace prescribed by the corporate authorities. (:rolleyes: All warrants for the violation of municipal ordinances or the State criminal law, directed to any person, may be served and executed within the limits of a municipality by any policeman or marshal of the municipality. For that purpose, policemen and marshals have all the common law and statutory powers of sheriffs. (Source: P.A. 87-1119.)

It is not a matter of a city charter, but state law:

(65 ILCS 5/3.1-15-25) (from Ch. 24, par. 3.1-15-25) Sec. 3.1-15-25. Conservators of the peace; service of warrants. (a) After receiving a certificate attesting to the successful completion of a training course administered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board, the mayor, aldermen, president, trustees, marshal, deputy marshals, and policemen in municipalities shall be conservators of the peace.

*SNIP*

.....For that purpose, policemen and marshals have all the common law and statutory powers of sheriffs. (Source: P.A. 87-1119.)

So the question is have they taken the training? Any bets on that one?

It has been my understanding that very few Chicago Aldermen become conservators of the peace. The few who do carry seem to be former CPD. I've been told, by a former Alderman, that most are not interested. as for Dorothy Tillman (famously waved her gun during a city council meeting)... Who knows. It is legend that one local TV journalist carried a small pistol on a lanyard under his shirt and tie in the old days. He was always given a pass by law enforcement. Others on the crime beat may have carried, as well.

Archived