National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Going to House Floor Soon

Sigma

What is gyro? logik.png

Geico guy

What are you living under? A rock?

/Geico guy

Heh, seriously though it's lamb meat all cooked up and served on a, I think, pita bread. Grilled onions, cucumber sauce. You know it's good when the onion gases rip through your nose and right into your medula oblongata. Nostrils and throat burn like you're in the middle of a chemical plant burning to the ground. Then the cool cucumber sauce pays a visit and cools it all down like you're swooshing and swishing down a snowy mountain side.

Really tasty and totally bad for you. Also it's pronounced yeerow and not jiro.

Oh, and hr822 is good.

Maybe this is an ufounded concern, but could we discuss this:

Here in Illinois, we're gaining traction, and support for RKBA, and specifically HB0148. What happens, if this reciprocity bill is passed before we get a carry bill here. I see it as another possible "excuse" for the legislators on the No side of things to vote against 148 ( since there is no reciprocity built in to that bill). I think this could hurt us here in Il, and bad, if it becomes law before we get RTC. After we get it, not so much.

Thoughts??

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Unfounded concern, is my thought.

Both things will eventually happen. I don't think it matters which one comes first. Illinois will drag IRS feet without national recognition. If national recognition comes first, Illinois will continue to be the unprotected paradise it currently is. That can only help us.

Maybe this is an ufounded concern, but could we discuss this:

Here in Illinois, we're gaining traction, and support for RKBA, and specifically HB0148. What happens, if this reciprocity bill is passed before we get a carry bill here. I see it as another possible "excuse" for the legislators on the No side of things to vote against 148 ( since there is no reciprocity built in to that bill). I think this could hurt us here in Il, and bad, if it becomes law before we get RTC. After we get it, not so much.

Thoughts??

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I've had that exact thought. However, we can simply point to our neighboring states (IA, IN) that honor ALL RTC permits from ALL states. They haven't had any problems there. Why should we expect problems here?

I seriously doubt that it will see the light of day in the Senate. It will get buried in an unfriendly committee.

And even if it did get passed by some miracle, does anybody really think BHO won't veto it in a heartbeat?

Its only possible chance is to get attached to a bill he can't afford to kill.

I do not think you have to worry to much about a veto. I am guessing this bill will suffer the same fate as similar legislation has for many years.

It would be interesting though if NYC had to start honoring permits from outside of NYC.

My personal opinion is this bill is more about offering up red meat to the faithful than a serious attempt at legislation. But it gets a little closer every time. It may eventually go over the top.

They are having a hearing on hr822 today 5pm If one (or more) of you folks that know more about this could take a look at #2 and #4 and give a little feedback as to what they mean, i would appreciate it.

http://www.rules.hou...aspx?NewsID=587

edit: Sorry, you have to click on the ammendment tab after you follow the link

They are having a hearing on hr822 today 5pm If one (or more) of you folks that know more about this could take a look at #2 and #4 and give a little feedback as to what they mean, i would appreciate it.

edit: Sorry, you have to click on the amendment tab after you follow the link

Thanks for pointing these out.

[#4: Would allow individuals with Concealed Carry Permits who are residents of a state or jurisdiction with Conceal Carry Permits to travel through, or maintain their permit in, a state or jurisdiction without Concealed Carry Permits. Would allow citizens of a state or jurisdiction without Concealed Carry Permits to lawfully obtain a Conceal Carry Permit from another state and maintain that permit in their state of residence.]

After a couple of reads... I like this one. The Illinois clause? I can't imagine how it would work in big cities with home rule. Seems to have been proposed by our own Timothy Johnson. A backwards way to bring CC to Illinois.

[#2: Would require a person provide at least 24 hours notice to a law enforcement officer of the State of the intention to possess or carry a concealed handgun in the State]

Sounds like a call to the state police before you travel... From a Texas Democrat. I could live without this one. All LE jurisdictions COULD just presume that everyone with a lawful permit would make use of it all the time...

edit: Sorry, you have to click on the ammendment tab after you follow the link

those amendments have already been voted on...only the one listed as #8 actually passed. See this link Bill Markup

Not sure what to think about Johnsons amendment

You smell a rat? Probably doesn't stand a chance with these amendments anyway.

My concern would be that it passes in the house which it will but then because of this amendment it fails the house. It wouldn't be fair for the whole country to lose national carry just because we can't get carry passed here. Much like it's not fair that the rest of us in IL can't carry because the residents of chicago can't get their shhh.....stuff together.

Not sure what to think about Johnsons amendment

You smell a rat? Probably doesn't stand a chance with these amendments anyway.

My concern would be that it passes in the house which it will but then because of this amendment it fails the house. It wouldn't be fair for the whole country to lose national carry just because we can't get carry passed here. Much like it's not fair that the rest of us in IL can't carry because the residents of chicago can't get their shhh.....stuff together.

Understood. Seems a shame that it can't be an even 50 states instead of 49.

The rule as published is below. this lists the amendments that will be considered and the time alloted for each portion of the debate.

Rule Information for H.R. 822

COMMITTEE ACTION:

REPORTED BY VOICE VOTE on Monday, November 14, 2011.

FLOOR ACTION ON H.RES. 463:

MANAGERS: Nugent/McGovern

1. Structured rule.

2. Provides one hour of general debate equally divided and controlled by the chair and ranking minority member of the Committee on the Judiciary.

3. Waives all points of order against consideration of the bill.

4. Provides that the amendment in the nature of a substitute recommended by the Committee on the Judiciary now printed in the bill shall be considered as original text for the purpose of amendment and shall be considered as read.

5. Waives all points of order against the committee amendment in the nature of a substitute.

6. Makes in order only those amendments printed in the Rules Committee report. Each such amendment may be offered only in the order printed in the report, may be offered only by a Member designated in the report, shall be considered as read, shall be debatable for the time specified in the report equally divided and controlled by the proponent and an opponent, shall not be subject to amendment, and shall not be subject to a demand for division of the question.

7. Waives all points of order against the amendments printed in the report.

8. Provides one motion to recommit with or without instructions.

Summary of Amendments to be Made in Order:

(summaries derived from information provided by sponsors)

Sponsor

#

DescriptionDebate Time1. Woodall (GA)

Would protect the rights of states that already have reciprocal agreements in place for the concealed carry of firearms to continue enforcing those preexisting agreements.(10 minutes)2. McCarthy, Carolyn (NY)

Would specify that the legislation can only go into effect in states that have passed legislation enacting the bill.(10 minutes)3. Hastings, Alcee (FL)

(LATE) (REVISED) Would exempt states from issuing a carry permit on the basis of state reciprocity which do not require individuals to apply for and complete a carry permit application at their local law enforcement station. (10 minutes)4. Jackson Lee (TX)

Would require a state to create a comprehensive database that would contain all permits and licenses issued by the State for carrying a concealed weapon and would make this comprehensive database available to law enforcement officers from all states 24 hours a day. (10 minutes)5. Conyers (MI)

Would preserve state laws with respect to eligibility for concealed-carry.(10 minutes)6. Johnson, Hank (GA)

Would require the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a state to be subject to that state's law regarding concealed carry in regards to firearm safety training that includes live-fire exercise. (10 minutes)7. Cohen (TN)

Would exempt from the bill any State law requiring a person to be at least 21 years of age to possess or carry a concealed handgun.(10 minutes)8. Jackson Lee (TX)

(REVISED) Would require a person provide at least 24 hours notice to a law enforcement officer of the State of the intention to possess or carry a concealed handgun in the State(10 minutes)9. Cicilline (RI)

Would limit the bill from taking effect in a state until the State Attorney General, head of the State police, and the Secretary of State have jointly certified that the other state's carry laws are substantially similar to its own licensing or permitting requirements. (10 minutes)10. Reichert (WA)

(LATE) (REVISED) Would require a GAO study on the ability of state and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of out-of-state concealed firearms permits.(10 minutes)

Those actual amendments, and the summaries provided above by Todd, can be found at the link below. Remember that the sponsor of H.RES.463 is a co-sponsor of HR822.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&dbname=cp112&sid=cp112o8fLU&refer=&r_n=hr283.112&item=&&&sel=TOC_7778&

Here is the language of the actual amendments:

1. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE WOODALL OF GEORGIA OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 5, line 25, strike `that--' and insert `that does not have in effect an agreement with the State that issued the license or permit providing for reciprocal treatment of such licenses or permits issued by the 2 States, and that--'.

-

2. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE MCCARTHY OF NEW YORK OR HER DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 5, line 25, strike `that--' and insert `that has in effect a law providing that the provisions of this section shall apply with respect to the State, and--'

-

3. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE HASTINGS OF FLORIDA OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 1, insert `(A)' after `(1)'.

Page 6, line 4, strike `(2)' and insert `(B.)'.

Page 6, line 5, strike the period and insert `; and'.

Page 6, after line 5, insert the following:

`(2) provides for the issuance of such a license or permit, and requires the applicant for such a license or permit to complete and submit the application to the State in person.'.

-

4. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE JACKSON LEE OF TEXAS OR HER DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 1, insert `(A)' after `(1)'.

Page 6, line 4, strike `(2)' and insert `(B.)'.

Page 6, line 5, strike the period and insert `; and'.

`(2) maintains a complete database of all permits and licenses issued by the State for the carrying of a concealed handgun, and makes that database available to law enforcement officers from all States 24 hours a day.'.

Page 6, after line 5, insert the following:

-

5. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE CONYERS, JR. OF MICHIGAN OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, beginning on line 8, strike `, except as to eligibility to possess or carry,'.

-

6. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE JOHNSON OF GEORGIA OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 14, after the period insert the following: `Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State shall be subject to any law of the State that limits the eligibility to possess or carry a concealed handgun to persons who have received firearm safety training that includes a live-fire exercise.'.

-

7. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE COHEN OF TENNESSEE OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 14, after the period insert the following: `Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State under this section shall be subject to any State law limiting the eligibility to possess or carry a concealed handgun to individuals who have attained 21 years of age.'.

-

8. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE JACKSON LEE OF TEXAS OR HER DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 21, strike the close quotation marks and the following period.

Page 6, after line 21, insert the following:

`(d) A person may not, under this section, carry or possess a concealed handgun in a State, unless the person provided at least 24 hours notice to the designated law enforcement agency of the State of the intention of the person to carry or possess a concealed handgun in the State.'.

-

9. AN AMENDMENT TO BE OFFERED BY REPRESENTATIVE CICILLINE OF RHODE ISLAND OR HIS DESIGNEE, DEBATABLE FOR 10 MINUTES

Page 6, line 21, strike the close quotation marks and the following period.

Page 6, after line 21, insert the following:

`(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply with respect to the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State on the basis of a license or permit issued in another State, unless the Attorney General of the State, the head of the State police, and the Secretary of State of the State have jointly issued a certification that the laws of both States which provide for the issuance of such a license or permit are substantially similar.'.

Archived