National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Going to House Floor Soon

Sigma

Friday, November 04, 2011

We continue to report on the importance of H.R. 822—the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011” and to detail the truth about why the legislation is very good for gun owners. The bill will be heading to the U.S. House floor soon, and it is imperative that you contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to support this critically important legislation.

A great deal of misguided, unfounded, and incorrect information has been circulated about the legislation, but the allegations are simply not true.

Simply put, H.R. 822 is a good bill and is good for gun owners. The bill will enable America’s millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states by requiring states to recognize each others' lawfully-issued carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing or registration system; does not establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; does not involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permit; and it does not destroy or discourage the adoption of permitless carry systems such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

Again, H.R. 822 will soon be on the House floor. Please IMMEDIATELY contact your member of Congress and urge him or her to support the earliest possible consideration of H.R. 822.

You can find contact information for your U.S. Representative by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org. You may also contact your Representative by phone at (202) 225-3121. Additionally, you may CLICK HERE TO EMAIL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS.

H.R. 822 is a good bill for gun owners. Don’t listen to false claims. Read the bill yourself and READ OUR FACT SHEET to get more facts.

To listen to an NRANews interview about H.R. 822 with the bill’s sponsor Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), please click here.

To listen to an NRANews interview about H.R. 822 with NRA-ILA Director of Research and Information John Frazer, please click here.

On the Senate side ... looks like we just lost Scott Brown.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1080707.html

:lol: And the senate is where it actually matters. With all the co-sponsors, it should pass the house. But here in Illinois, we'll be 0 for 2 on the Senate votes. Anyway, I did call my Rep to ask him to support HR822.

My guy Tim Johnson is good to go! I tell ya, Rep Johnson usually flies under the radar and I sometimes get frustrated when he doesn't stand up and be vocal but when it all comes down to it, 99% of the time he's on the right side of the issue thumbsup.png

he does kinda fly under the radar doesn't he. Thanks for posting this saved me a phone call.

Does anyone think this is a trojan horse of a bill. There are some saying that any influence of the federal gov't in this opens the door to national registration, and a whole host of other issues. I am somewhat uneducated on the actual text also, so any links on either side of the argument would be appreciated.

DM

Sounds like you've read Dudley's email. :thumbsup:

Read it here. It's a pretty sure read. It doesn't have anything to do with registration.

I read that email and replied, not that anyone will read the reply but I felt better. I told him he sounded like the brady bunch. There were absolutely no facts in his email, just a bunch of scare tactics. It really turned me off. Not once did he put any verbiage from the bill in it.

Does anyone think this is a trojan horse of a bill. There are some saying that any influence of the federal gov't in this opens the door to national registration, and a whole host of other issues. I am somewhat uneducated on the actual text also, so any links on either side of the argument would be appreciated.

DM

Sounds like you've read Dudley's email. :thumbsup:

Read it here. It's a pretty sure read. It doesn't have anything to do with registration.

Read the Amendment in this link. Sounds like anyone from IL with a non-resident permit from another state will not be allowed to carry in other states? Am I reading this correctly?

DM

Sounds like you've read Dudley's email. rolleyes.gif

Read the Amendment in this link. Sounds like anyone from IL with a non-resident permit from another state will not be allowed to carry in other states? Am I reading this correctly?

I don't read that at all. What part makes you think this??

I don't read that at all. What part makes you think this??

may possess or carry a concealed handgun

2 (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has

3 been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign com-

4 merce, in any State, other than the State of residence of

5 the person, that—

6 ‘‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the

7 State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed

8 firearms; or

9 ‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed

10 firearms by residents of the State for lawful pur-

11 poses.

When I first read it, I thought that the bolded (by me) text above referred to the State of residence, but I have trouble deciphering lawyer speak.

After reading it again, I think it means if you are in a state that you don't live in and that state (that you're visiting) doesn't have any prohibitions on CCW, then you can carry with whatever state permit you have. It really doesn't DIRECTLY address non-resident permits that I can see, just that any valid permit would be good in any state as long as you follow the laws of the "visited" state.

At any rate, I thought the same as Talonap at first and now I think I misread it.

I don't read that at all.

I read it the same way as GF.

Under Arlticle 1, Sec 10 of the Constitution, this is one area of law where Congress is specifically empowered to act. In a technical sense all the concealed carry reciprocal agreements between the states are null and void because Congress has not authorized them. But as lazy as Congress is the lack of objection to such compacts is taken as tacit approval. Considering this issue tinkers with a fundamental right as opposed to drivers licenses, professional licenses and agreements on tax collections, you would think the federal government would step in and set some ground rules governing restriction by the states of this fundamental right.

After reading it again, I think it means if you are in a state that you don't live in and that state (that you're visiting) doesn't have any prohibitions on CCW, then you can carry with whatever state permit you have. It really doesn't DIRECTLY address non-resident permits that I can see, just that any valid permit would be good in any state as long as you follow the laws of the "visited" state.

At any rate, I thought the same as Talonap at first and now I think I misread it.

Correct. An IL resident with an AZ permit for example...could carry in any state except IL....and DC. IL because it is your home state (and doesn't have a permit system) and DC because it doesn't have a permit system.

On my way home from work tonight, I stopped at Uncle Pete's in Moline to pick up some gyros for the family for dinner. As I walked in, I saw Rep. Bobby Schilling (R-17) eating in a booth with the owner. I wanted to go up, shake his hand and thank him for co-sponsoring HR822, but I decided not to. I didn't want to disturb his dinner and interrupt their conversation.

Ironically, when I got home, there was a message on my machine from the NRA urging me to call Rep. Schilling and thank him for co-sponsoring HR822, and remind him to vote in favor of the bill with no amendments next week.

After smacking myself in the head, I sent him a nice email before digging in to my gyro.

-- Frank

Archived