Photo

Wilson v. Cook County (Semi-Auto Gun Ban)

• Please log in to reply
731 replies to this topic

#601 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Good question.. Anyone know?

#602 officedrone

With Liberty and Justice for all

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

I think everyone has died of old age waiting for this thing to actually progress.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#603 Yas

• Members
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

A few days ago I was going thru my wallet and found a card from IGold about 4 years back.  Is Edward Ronkowski still the Atty of record on this?

#604 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 8,650 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

I think everyone has died of old age waiting for this thing to actually progress.

I certainly have more white hairs now compared to when this process first started lol

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#605 Capt_Destro

• Members
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

I certainly have more white hairs now compared to when this process first started lol

skeleton-in-waiting-room.png

When picking a firearm, you want one that is like a heavy chick. A gun that is reliable, doesn't mind getting rough, and one that goes bang every time. What's the point of having something pretty looking it isn't up for the task?

#606 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

skeleton-in-waiting-room.png

I wonder what the date is on that paper ... :hmm:

#607 Druid

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Happy New Year!

I spoke with lead counsel, Vic Quilici, and here is the update.  Because of prior commitments in the Friedman case, the Wilson case moved somewhat slower. The Judge generously granted a continuance to the State’s Attorneys and the case is now set on the trial calendar for June of this year. 

Depositions had to be taken of 9 expert witnesses in the case, and soon a pre-trial  will be  held.

In  answer to the question regarding Ed Ronkowski, he was one of four attorneys on the case. He is no longer an attorney in Wilson. and is enjoying his retirement.

#608 dadude999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Cool, thanks for the update!

#609 domin8

• Members
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Keep in mind that Friedman is not over. An appeal has been filed. "Cry, 'Havoc and let slip the dogs of war." - William Shakespeare
Uinta Firearms Training, Inc.
a subsidiary of Uinta Preparations, Corp.

Supporting Member
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
USCCA Member
SAF Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor

NRA Range Safety Officer

Training@UintaFirearms.com

#610 armadroid

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

let hit them where it hurts!

I get an adrenaline rush whenever we make progress. let's hope it works!

#611 officedrone

• 3,522 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

So, Friedman is done.

What's going on with Wilson?

-Roger Williams

#612 Hap

• 1,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

So, Friedman is done.

Did I miss something? Or by "done" do you mean "not done"?

Ad utrumque paratus

#613 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

Friendman is far from done
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#614 stm

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

Where is that "like" button?

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#615 Druid

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

So, Friedman is done.

What's going on with Wilson?

The Cook County lawyers are obviously delighted with the Friedman ruling and trying to see how they can use it against Wilson. It's a scary time.

Besides that, next Court Date for Wilson is in just a few weeks as everyone prepares for the trial.

#616 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Cook I think filed for a stay pending friedman
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#617 rubicon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

The Friedman Decision is a mixed bag of fruit, yes, two Judges made a decision and a Ruling that was unfavorable... but, one Judge also wrote a scathing Dissent, based on Precedent and SCOTUS Rulings. While some could say we lost, I on the other hand believe it is just another step towards victory, like in McDonald, Heller, Diggins, Gowder and Shepard/Moore. When you read the Dissent by the Honorable Judge Daniel Manion, every single word of it makes sense and is absolutely based in legal facts and Court Precedent. So, read the opinions / feelings and comfort seeking analogy in which Judge Easterbrook based his decision and ask yourself... what is correct, what is based on facts and legal precedent, it is obvious and that is why we will WIN!

#618 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

The Friedman Decision is a mixed bag of fruit, yes, two Judges made a decision and a Ruling that was unfavorable... but, one Judge also wrote a scathing Dissent, based on Precedent and SCOTUS Rulings. While some could say we lost, I on the other hand believe it is just another step towards victory, like in McDonald, Heller, Diggins, Gowder and Shepard/Moore. When you read the Dissent by the Honorable Judge Daniel Manion, every single word of it makes sense and is absolutely based in legal facts and Court Precedent. So, read the opinions / feelings and comfort seeking analogy in which Judge Easterbrook based his decision and ask yourself... what is correct, what is based on facts and legal precedent, it is obvious and that is why we will WIN!

just hold this thought

#619 Druid

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

The NRA probably will go for a fast petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari.   I know from talking to my attorney in Wilson, lead counsel, that the County filed for a Stay & summary judgment, in the alternative. Our counsel will fight the County’s motion, but Wilson is literally being dragged down by the awful decision in the Friedman case.

#620 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

Would it be premature, then, to start researching parts for an AR build?
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#621 Druid

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

Today, the Judge in Wilson did not ask for any briefs but stated he had read the decision in the Friedman case and decided to “stay” the Wilson case, as requested by the County, until Friedman has been given a chance to possibly be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.  The Friedman attorneys backed by NRA decided it would be best to pass on a Petition for a hearing en banc  (Before the 7th Circuit judges) andinstead, petition the U.S. Supreme Court for Certiorari (for SCOTUS to decide the case). Wilson was continued by the Judge to October 1, 2015. That means Wilson is victimized by the adverse decision in Friedman.  My counsel in the Wilson case is requesting that NRA file its petition for cert as soon as possible, although it has 90 days to do so.  

In October of this year the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to  grant or deny certiorari in cases petitioned.

#622 Talonap

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

Gee, what a surprise. Another jerk decision ... or lack of. It seem no one wants to touch this thing. And when they do, they screw it up.

#623 officedrone

• 3,522 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

When are these courts going to stop kicking the can???

-Roger Williams

#624 kwc

• 3,383 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

If SCOTUS denies the petition in Friedman, can NRA revert back to CA7 en banc review or will that window of opportunity have passed by that time?
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#625 Davey

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

I think there's a higher chance of scotus granting cert for Friedman since the case is simply about ownership and possession and not carrying in public. It also seems like a logical continuation of Heller and Mcdonad. "Okay so people have a right to own guns, now we just need to figure out which guns the right pertains to."

Im just guessing. I'm not a lawyer and I also didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

#626 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

I think there's a higher chance of scotus granting cert for Friedman since the case is simply about ownership and possession and not carrying in public. It also seems like a logical continuation of Heller and Mcdonad. "Okay so people have a right to own guns, now we just need to figure out which guns the right pertains to."
Im just guessing. I'm not a lawyer and I also didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

My concern is that SCOTUS has refused to take a lot of gun cases lately, and weren't some of them pertaining to AWBs? I really think that requesting an en banc hearing would've been better, since it would've been quicker and likely resulted in the overturning of the AWB.

If they take it, can we really rely on the SCOTUS ruling correctly? You have four justices definitely in favor (Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Scalia) four definitely opposed (Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Breyer, and Kagan) and the wildcard that is Kennedy. All you need is Kennedy or even Roberts saying that these guns aren't covered and its game over, and not just for us but for NY, Maryland, California, and everywhere else inbetween.

Now if they do take it and rule correctly, I'll be very happy. But not only for us, but for people living in places like NYS. Personally I'd love to watch the response from the pols in NY as their precious NY SAFE Act is gutted.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#627 kwc

• 3,383 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

I've read that SCOTUS receives approximately 10,000 petitions each year and grants/hears oral argument in about 75-80 of those cases. I sure hope the Friedman case has what it takes to catch the court's attention.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#628 Hap

• 1,833 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

The Heller decision pretty clearly states that it leaves lot of ground uncovered and that the court will need to revisit the subject. If the Court doesn't revisit the subject soon it's not clear why any legislative body should take any of the Court's edicts - and not just Heller and McDonald - seriously.

Ad utrumque paratus

#629 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

The Heller decision pretty clearly states that it leaves lot of ground uncovered and that the court will need to revisit the subject. If the Court doesn't revisit the subject soon it's not clear why any legislative body should take any of the Court's edicts - and not just Heller and McDonald - seriously.

I'm really curious why they haven't heard any gun cases lately. They certainly don't come up as often as other constitutional issues, which would make it seem that they warrant additional attention.

-Hapless

#630 Rail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

We still have Kolbe v. O'Malley in Maryland and Haynie v. Harris in California percolating up through the courts. There are also a couple of other cases in the Northeast that are waiting for rehearings, I believe.

I think right now, a case involving "carry" will be taken up by SCOTUS before a case involving "arms", but it wouldn't shock me to see the court granting cert for both some time late this year or early next. Peruta is the most likely candidate for SCOTUS review once en banc at the 9th Circuit is done.

Edited by Rail, 09 May 2015 - 07:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users