Gun owners losing concealed carry licenses at fault of instructors

Patriots & Tyrants

The latest back door attempt from the corrupt to take away our rights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. The article clearly states the instructor only provided 8 hours of training. Anyone that read the CCW information would know 16 hours is required. It’s not the instructors fault the applicants did not follow the law.

I disagree. The article clearly states the instructor only provided 8 hours of training. Anyone that read the CCW information would know 16 hours is required. It’s not the instructors fault the applicants did not follow the law.

I'll gladly admit that, had I not been a member of this site and known the FCCA backwards and forwards before classes were even available, I'd have trusted that an instructor was teaching me what was required by law.

I'll gladly admit that, had I not been a member of this site and known the FCCA backwards and forwards before classes were even available, I'd have trusted that an instructor was teaching me what was required by law.

Insert obligatory "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" comment

I'm honestly surprised no one reported him before now, he must not have had all that many students

There are exceptions that reduce the time to 8 hours. It's spelled out in the law explicitly.

and since when are news articles the gold standard of facts?

To me it looks like they only provided six hours of a required eight hours of training. The other eight was probably waived by statute. I don’t have a problem with suspending the licenses but it should be done in a more reasonable fashion. These people may be the victims of a crime or shotty training, they are not offenders.

It would be more appropriate to send a suspension notice stating that they have 90 days to provide proof of adequate training and explain why the current training has been deemed invalid. If they do not receive the new documents of training within 90 days then the license is suspended. It would allow time for this to be taken care of before entering any appeal or legal process.

^ this ***

Exactly.

The student gets caught up in the mess. But in fairness, they did not complete the qualifications. This was, of course, no fault of theirs, but their instructors. This happens in other areas as well. A couple of years ago a bunch of pilots all lost their certifications because a DPE was not performing the check rides correctly. They all lost the cert until they could restest with the FAA. The difference here seems to be that unlike the FAA which expected to have to recert people, the IPS was not prepared for the affected former CCL people to take a new approved class and resubmit paperwork to get their CCL reinstated. Nothing nefarious, just some basic incompetence.

There is a positive to look at. It shows that the training is being taken seriously and that the state is making sure that substandard training does not result in ill-trained people carry concealed. This is a good thing to show to the entire populace that the system is working and that no additional training or bureaucracy is required.

These people may be victims or willing participants in fraud. The training certificate states the number of hours the student supposedly received. It is signed by both the instructor and the student.

They should have known they did not receive the required amount of training.

There have been other threads about instructors doing much shorter classes and marking the certificate for 16 hours. They charged less. There was less preparation boring classroom time for instructor and student. Everyone is happy.

Archived