Get a Permit from another state threads

Chris

Okay so the current "valid" licenses/permits I have are IL and PA (I even drove to PA to renew mine when they stopped doing it through the mail)! I'm getting my AZ, as I just emailed them to mail me the packet to do so. I plan on getting my FL since I know I can get that on my IL "training". I do think I may go ahead and start going "full on" "collector", so I may seek the additional UT "training" and get that one too. Any others you fellow "collectors" recommend? Just to cover the list again the ones I have or will/plan to have are: IL, PA, AZ, FL, UT - what else may I consider adding to this list !?

If you already have those you're mostly covered. You could get a CT license which would get you CT. You could get a New Hampshire which would get you NH. Maine would be easy but not get you anything after their constitutional carry kicks in. Minnesota would require an MN class and a trip there to apply, and not get you anything extra. Idaho enhanced or Nevada would require a trip to Idaho/Nevada for their special class and application, and not get you anything extra. Similarly you could get Washington for no extra states. Other states I can think of that would actually get you anything extra will be essentially impossible to get a non-res license out of, like CA, OR, SC, CO, NY. OR and CO need their own versions of Sheriff Nau who will issue to non-residents.

"Okay so the current "valid" licenses/permits I have are IL and PA (I even drove to PA to renew mine when they stopped doing it through the mail)! I'm getting my AZ, as I just emailed them to mail me the packet to do so. I plan on getting my FL since I know I can get that on my IL "training". I do think I may go ahead and start going "full on" "collector", so I may seek the additional UT "training" and get that one too. Any others you fellow "collectors" recommend? Just to cover the list again the ones I have or will/plan to have are: IL, PA, AZ, FL, UT - what else may I consider adding to this list !?"

You are certainly entitled to spend your money as you wish, but I see no benefit of having both Utah and Arizona. They are honored by the same states, except Utah's is recognized by Washington state and Minnesota while Arizona's is not recognized by either one. It does not look like Florida will give you anymore. I did not check fees or length of licensure which is something else to consider.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Instead of collecting redundant permits you might consider donating to a pro-2A club or organization in one of your named states, here, or nationally. Again, it is your choice how you spend your money. I am just throwing out something else to consider.

You are certainly entitled to spend your money as you wish, but I see no benefit of having both Utah and Arizona. They are honored by the same states, except Utah's is recognized by Washington state and Minnesota while Arizona's is not recognized by either one. It does not look like Florida will give you anymore. I did not check fees or length of licensure which is something else to consider.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Florida is the only way to get Florida, if your home state doesn't have it.

Arizona would get you NM which Utah doesn't have. Florida does also. If you actually need NM, I would go for redundancy as they change reciprocity on a whim it seems like. Nevada also, which Arizona (and IL) have but FL and UT do not.

FL, NM, MN, WA are all in play for non-residents. If you don't have an IL license, there is also NV and WI that vary between them.

The fluidity of recognition is one the reasons I suggested donating to pro-2A organizations.

I got Florida because I have family in Georgia. With IL and Florida I have AZ and NM. Since I go to Pennsylvania fairly often, I am getting a license there. I hope that will be enough. There are other states that would recognize Illinois permits, if Illinois would recognize theirs.

We have our own choices to make. For many of us just Illinois is enough. For others it gets more costly and complicated.

Personally, at this point, I'm just becoming a collector - I don't really mind or care if it "gains" me any additional states or not, I know I'm pretty "set" off even just my IL and PA alone, not to mention the AZ and FL that I'm definitely getting... I don't / wont "need" UT either, but I also don't "need" my AZ, I'm actually just getting my AZ because that's where I eventually want to end up (living), I want to support AZ, AND it's a mere $60! I am also well aware that AZ is now "constitutional carry", but they do still issue licenses for reciprocal agreements, which is furthermore why I would like to directly be in support of AZ. Any state that has/supports constitutional carry is A OK with me! They've "earned" my $60 in my eyes! I just want their card in exchange for said $60, so I can add it to my beginning "collection" of carry cards :)

I would be looking for the "easiest" to get, as I do not want to have necessary travels or training (that wouldn't already be covered under my IL 16 hour), so something that could be applied for/had through either "online" or "snail mail". The only one I'm open to "additional training" is the UT, and that's because it's so common and there are UT trainers around here (and no trip to UT)... PA will still continue to earn my renewals because of how awesome they've been to date! I still hope, now that we have to go there in person to apply/renew, to one day shake Sheriff Nau's hand for being such an upstanding Sheriff/man!

As far as "memberships" (or "donations") I just renewed my NRA membership for 5 years, and I believe my SAF is current too (also subscribe at a 5 year rate). I probably should sign up for the ISRA though...

Personally, at this point, I'm just becoming a collector - I don't really mind or care if it "gains" me any additional states or not, I know I'm pretty "set" off even just my IL and PA alone, not to mention the AZ and FL that I'm definitely getting... I don't / wont "need" UT either, but I also don't "need" my AZ, I'm actually just getting my AZ because that's where I eventually want to end up (living), I want to support AZ, AND it's a mere $60! I am also well aware that AZ is now "constitutional carry", but they do still issue licenses for reciprocal agreements, which is furthermore why I would like to directly be in support of AZ. Any state that has/supports constitutional carry is A OK with me! They've "earned" my $60 in my eyes! I just want their card in exchange for said $60, so I can add it to my beginning "collection" of carry cards :)

I would be looking for the "easiest" to get, as I do not want to have necessary travels or training (that wouldn't already be covered under my IL 16 hour), so something that could be applied for/had through either "online" or "snail mail". The only one I'm open to "additional training" is the UT, and that's because it's so common and there are UT trainers around here (and no trip to UT)... PA will still continue to earn my renewals because of how awesome they've been to date! I still hope, now that we have to go there in person to apply/renew, to one day shake Sheriff Nau's hand for being such an upstanding Sheriff/man!

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/non-resident%20application%20package.pdf

Get a Maine then to start, $60, no fingerprints, your IL training should suffice, and they just passed constitutional carry.

I was disappointed that Sheriff Nau was out of the office when I went in to renew :( The dispatcher was telling me how high the stacks of boxes used to be when they were processing them by mail. I did express my appreciation and thanks.

I stopped by the Bucks County Sheriff's office in Doylestown, PA earlier today. Apparently they stop taking applications for permits at 3:30pm. The ladies in the office did prequalify me (checked to see if I had permits from my home state, drivers license, etc) before giving me an application. I told them thank you very much and that I'd return with Reese's Peanutbutter Cups tomorrow. I'll post up how it goes tomorrow. That way, if any of you guys who don't have a PA permit end up in Philly you will know if heading a little north will be a fruitful endeavor.

Gamma, Sorry to hear that Sheriff Nau is no longer in office. My wife got one of the last PA LTC issued by mail, her FOID card had to be renewed when her application went in and he said they'd hold the application till a copy of it was sent in. It expires the 29th of April next year.

Mine expires the 29th of March next year, might have to make a trip east if I get my IL FCCL by then

Also, Sheriff Nau is still in office, he just wasn't in the office when Gamma stopped in

http://centrecountypa.gov/index.aspx?NID=401

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I just got home from picking up my PA permit from Sheriff Donnelly's office in Doylestown, PA. I never saw the sheriff. Officer Ingram was the person that took care of everything.

While I was there, Officer Ingram informed me that being a Utah resident was a good thing. He said that soon they will no longer be issuing permits to residents of states that do not recognize the PA permit. The conversation about this was shorter than I wanted it to be because there was another person waiting to obtain their permit. He said the feeling is that those states don't want to recognize their residents 2A Rights, so why should they waste their time issuing permits to residents of those states. I tried to explain that's not the fault of the people, but of the government, and tried to inform him that some states, such as Illinois have no means to enter into recognition agreements at this time, regardless of what the pro 2A people in those states, the same people that would obtain a PA permit, want. Officer Ingram specifically referenced New Jersey, and based on Bucks County's proximity to New Jersey, I can understand where they are coming from after surviving Illinois for 3 years.

I do not know if this is a department thing, or a statewide thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a statewide thing. The PA Attorney General is said to be anti-2A. She's been pushing for reform, and for a period of a few months had terminated the recognition agreement with Utah. A few months after that happened s new recognition agreement had been established where they only recognize Utah resident agreements now.

I wanted to share this info since it has the potential of affecting you guys in Illinois.

I was there Aug 6. I downloaded and filled out the application ahead of time. I was in and out of the building in less than 10 minutes with a Pennsylvania permit. It would have been shorter if I had not gone down the wrong hallway.

They issue permits M-F, 10AM - 4 PM. You need to present your Illinois CCL, Illinois drivers license (or state ID), and $20 cash.

http://www.eriecountypa.gov/county-services/safety-law/sheriff/divisions/firearms.aspx

I'm considering getting a few non-resident permits.

I know I want Florida's non res to be able to carry in Florida.

That's all I am certain on. Basically I just want as close to 50 state coverage as possible with as few permits (and the costs associated with them) as possible.

It's looking as though I'm going to begin traveling for work and it's impossible to know where all I'll be going, which is why I want maximum coverage.

It appears after my current Illinois and future Florida Non Res, that every other permit just adds one or two states at a time on top.

The highest number of states covered I could find was 38 and it took me 4 permits to get to that point.

Anyone able to advise me, maybe I'm looking at something wrong.

I'm considering getting a few non-resident permits.

I know I want Florida's non res to be able to carry in Florida.

That's all I am certain on. Basically I just want as close to 50 state coverage as possible with as few permits (and the costs associated with them) as possible.

It's looking as though I'm going to begin traveling for work and it's impossible to know where all I'll be going, which is why I want maximum coverage.

It appears after my current Illinois and future Florida Non Res, that every other permit just adds one or two states at a time on top.

The highest number of states covered I could find was 38 and it took me 4 permits to get to that point.

Anyone able to advise me, maybe I'm looking at something wrong.

I basically went over all that in my post at the top of this page.

Once you get IL + (FL or UT or AZ) you're only adding one or two more states each by getting additional licenses.

If you have IL+FL, then adding AZ gets you nothing. Adding Utah would get you WA&MN. Adding PA would get you PA. Adding NH would get you NH. Adding CT would get you CT. Maine is going consitutional carry in a couple months so I wouldn't worry about getting one from there.

The remaining New England states, SC, CA, & OR are impossible at a practical level. CO really is as well unless you could find a Sheriff willing to issue you a 90 day "emergency" permit which doesn't require residence (and AFAIK, none will).

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

The USA carry interactive map is pretty good at showing you combined coverage from combinations of permits if you want to look for yourself.

I saw someone else say 38. That sounds about right. I have 32 states covered with Illinois, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The states recognized by others can change, but I think there is a general trend for more states to recognize the permits of others. It may be practical and less costly to wait for others to recognize Illinois CCL, or others, we may have. I think there is proposed legislation to get Illinois to be more active toward reciprocity. If that should give us more states. Without a major Supreme Court decision or a national reciprocity law states like California will probably hold out forever. There are political and philosophical arguments pro and con concerning a national reciprocity law.

Getting as many states may not be practical, but just kind of a hobby or feel good thing. On the other hand two years from now a loved one's wedding, funeral or other special event may occur in a state for which you are not covered. You may not to be able to get carry coverage in time for that state.

I saw someone else say 38. That sounds about right. I have 32 states covered with Illinois, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The states recognized by others can change, but I think there is a general trend for more states to recognize the permits of others. It may be practical and less costly to wait for others to recognize Illinois CCL, or others, we may have. I think there is proposed legislation to get Illinois to be more active toward reciprocity. If that should give us more states. Without a major Supreme Court decision or a national reciprocity law states like California will probably hold out forever. There are political and philosophical arguments pro and con concerning a national reciprocity law.

Getting as many states may not be practical, but just kind of a hobby or feel good thing. On the other hand two years from now a loved one's wedding, funeral or other special event may occur in a state for which you are not covered. You may not to be able to get carry coverage in time for that state.

You kind of have to make a value judgement also, what are the chances of me going to that state, and how costly is it going to be to get a license for it? PA for example is stupid simple, walk in to the sheriff's office (in a suitable county), walk out with a license in maybe 10-15 minutes at probably $20 cost. If you're there, go in and pick it up, if you're not there, you don't need it anyway. Versus, $100 for a 4 year license from New Hampshire, and you can't even get to New Hampshire with a handgun by ground anyway. Same with CT.

I saw someone else say 38. That sounds about right. I have 32 states covered with Illinois, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The states recognized by others can change, but I think there is a general trend for more states to recognize the permits of others. It may be practical and less costly to wait for others to recognize Illinois CCL, or others, we may have. I think there is proposed legislation to get Illinois to be more active toward reciprocity. If that should give us more states. Without a major Supreme Court decision or a national reciprocity law states like California will probably hold out forever. There are political and philosophical arguments pro and con concerning a national reciprocity law. Getting as many states may not be practical, but just kind of a hobby or feel good thing. On the other hand two years from now a loved one's wedding, funeral or other special event may occur in a state for which you are not covered. You may not to be able to get carry coverage in time for that state.You kind of have to make a value judgement also, what are the chances of me going to that state, and how costly is it going to be to get a license for it? PA for example is stupid simple, walk in to the sheriff's office (in a suitable county), walk out with a license in maybe 10-15 minutes at probably $20 cost. If you're there, go in and pick it up, if you're not there, you don't need it anyway. Versus, $100 for a 4 year license from New Hampshire, and you can't even get to New Hampshire with a handgun by ground anyway. Same with CT.
That's completely false. Interstate Transport Law. Iirc, from the top of my head 18 USC 926a is it.

You kind of have to make a value judgement also, what are the chances of me going to that state, and how costly is it going to be to get a license for it? PA for example is stupid simple, walk in to the sheriff's office (in a suitable county), walk out with a license in maybe 10-15 minutes at probably $20 cost. If you're there, go in and pick it up, if you're not there, you don't need it anyway. Versus, $100 for a 4 year license from New Hampshire, and you can't even get to New Hampshire with a handgun by ground anyway. Same with CT.

That's completely false. Interstate Transport Law. Iirc, from the top of my head 18 USC 926a is it.

FOPA is only as good as your finances and legal team, since the Federal gov won't enforce it.

Get caught with a handgun in NY and you're going to be in a mess.

I do not know if this is a department thing, or a statewide thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a statewide thing. The PA Attorney General is said to be anti-2A. She's been pushing for reform, and for a period of a few months had terminated the recognition agreement with Utah. A few months after that happened s new recognition agreement had been established where they only recognize Utah resident agreements now.

It's a fluid situation and yes, PA's AG Kathleen Kane is definitely not a 2A supporter.

Kane is going through some significant professional and personal challenges right now, under accusations of obstruction, official oppression, criminal conspiracy, perjury and false swearing. These are unrelated to any 2A issues, but could potentially end up with her resigning or being forced out of office.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/pa-attorney-general-arraigned/

While I was there, Officer Ingram informed me that being a Utah resident was a good thing. He said that soon they will no longer be issuing permits to residents of states that do not recognize the PA permit.

Officially, PA is "shall issue" by statute to residents and nonresidents who possess a license or permit from their state of residence. The AG can't legally override this via policy. This is probably a county decision.

I suspect the only reason sheriffs are able to get away with refusing to issue to nonresidents is simply that nonresidents have the option to visit friendlier counties, and choose to do so rather than challenging those sheriffs in court.

Got my PA permit in hand a couple of hours ago, right on the spot. Folks in the Erie County Sheriff's office were friendly, polite, and a LT even walked me out to my car a block away to get me going an easy way to the highway since a number of downtown streets were closed in preparation for a festival this weekend.

Got my PA permit in hand a couple of hours ago, right on the spot. Folks in the Erie County Sheriff's office were friendly, polite, and a LT even walked me out to my car a block away to get me going an easy way to the highway since a number of downtown streets were closed in preparation for a festival this weekend.

Welcome to the "elite" group of PA LTCF holders! (I wonder if we can catch up to Florida?)

I'm glad my fellow Pennsylvanians took good care of you, Marie.

Welcome to the "elite" group of PA LTCF holders! (I wonder if we can catch up to Florida?)

I'm glad my fellow Pennsylvanians took good care of you, Marie.

They took very good care of me. What a difference from Cook County or CPD! I was in and out in about 20 minutes. The deputy who did the background check and processed app recognized my occupation on app (licensed customs broker) as he used to be a truck driver doing cross border runs with Canada. He said my federal background check through CBP for customs broker license (2 years ago) probably helped the thing go through so quickly. I had wondered if that background check being done showed up anywhere.

It was very pretty country around there, between Cleveland and Erie. Must be gorgeous with fall color. So much nicer than the flat land we've got!

Archived