Cook County Sherifs Dept tried to illegally confiscate my FOID

jolebole

There's this thing called jurisdictions. A Cook County Sheriff has no ability to serve notice or arrest outside of the jurisdiction of the office they represent. They can only retain powers while in fresh pursuit or if acting on a call for assistance from an agency with jurisdiction. Personally, I'd make a royal stink about it with local PD.
If I recall correctly, one of our members had cops from another jurisdiction show up on his door to confiscate his guns. He dialed Todd and added them the phone. When Todd was thru with them they handed the phone earlier back and slicked away.

Do you have a link to that?

At this point it looks like your FOID has been lost or stolen. Report it as such to ISP and apply for a replacement. Next carload of phonies who show up at your house, send 'em on their way.

I don't get this. If he still has his FOIDWHY would he say it's lost or stolen?

Sorry, I read the original as saying that they had taken the FOID. Rereading it on a decent-sized display it looks like they didn't. Sorry.

This whole thing is just so far beyond weird. Even for Illinois it's weird.

There's this thing called jurisdictions. A Cook County Sheriff has no ability to serve notice or arrest outside of the jurisdiction of the office they represent. They can only retain powers while in fresh pursuit or if acting on a call for assistance from an agency with jurisdiction. Personally, I'd make a royal stink about it with local PD.

If I recall correctly, one of our members had cops from another jurisdiction show up on his door to confiscate his guns. He dialed Todd and added them the phone. When Todd was thru with them they handed the phone earlier back and slicked away.

No, it was a while ago and doesn't come up in a search. Maybe the guy it happened to would want to tell the story again, or not. I'll leave it up to him.

A couple of things after watching the video. They look official but they are wearing blue jeans. Somehow I think that Tom Dart wouldn't sign off on his cops wearing jeans as part of the uniform, especially if the rest of the uniform is to be legit. I would expect some tactical cop pants at the very least.

Secondly, after watching the video on my phone I have to say the quality is quite good. I suspect you can read the plates off of a full sized monitor.

My final thought would be this... is it possible your address could be the same as or similar to one in Cook County? Maybe these guys were just stupid. If they are out of Maywood, maybe they were in unfamiliar territory and just showed up at the wrong house. They are really good at that, especially when it comes to kicking down doors.

A couple of things after watching the video. They look official but they are wearing blue jeans. Somehow I think that Tom Dart wouldn't sign off on his cops wearing jeans as part of the uniform, especially if the rest of the uniform is to be legit. I would expect some tactical cop pants at the very least.

Dont know how common it is as Ive only seen a tactical and warrant team once, but some of them were in jeans. Its been a while but one was CPD the other was Dupage SD. Edited by InterestedBystander

No, it was a while ago and doesn't come up in a search. Maybe the guy it happened to would want to tell the story again, or not. I'll leave it up to him.

It happened to a member whose firearm had been stolen and turned up in the city. Chicago PD traced the firearm back to him and came calling with a list of other firearms he had purchased and wanted to see them.

This situation is different. Main thing is that his FOID is still valid and has not been revoked.

It happened to a member whose firearm had been stolen and turned up in the city. Chicago PD traced the firearm back to him and came calling with a list of other firearms he had purchased and wanted to see them.

This situation is different. Main thing is that his FOID is still valid and has not been revoked.

Thanks. I try not to miss anything around here. Did they revoke the foid in the stolen gun case?

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

Wait...You're in DuPage?!

Total scam job. Call the...gulp...ATF...as well as ISP and report the attempted theft.

But how did he get found out as a foid card holder???
Assuming they are criminals they probably did the same scam to others not knowing in advance one way or the other.

OK that's still stinking garbage. Where exactly did they get a list? Unless he was a Chicago resident and registered them with city hall at some point they shouldn't have any way to compile a list.

If Chicago police came to Dupage and rang my bell...I wouldn't answer. I don't answer my door for anybody who hasn't called first. I might call 911 and have my local PD intercept them though. I'd bet they wouldn't be too happy about CPD making housecalls here.

Thanks. I try not to miss anything around here. Did they revoke the foid in the stolen gun case?

No

Edited by AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

I would absolutely and without hesitation report this incident to your local police department. But maybe stash your guns elsewhere first.

No

Ok. So the cops wanted to see the other guns they knew he had to make sure they weren't missing and not reported stolen or sold illegally etc. That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the info.

A small update but not much news. I spoke to a MstSgt from the ISP today, told him what happened, but he didn't seem to be much interested in proceeding further, like notify someone else or whoever is investigating these type of cases. In the mean time I got in touch with someone else who was more interested to get to the bottom of this. Can't say much more. I'll keep you posted. Cheers.

Edited by jolebole

A small update but not much news. I spoke to a MstSgt from the ISP today, told him what happened, but he didn't seem to be much interested in proceeding further, like notify someone else or whoever is investigating these type of cases. In the mean time I got in touch with someone else who was more interested to get to the bottom of this. Can't say much more. I'll keep you posted. Cheers.

You could contact crime stoppers and report it as a suspected fake cop theft ring and with any luck you could get a reward. You could also report the same to the ATF. I remember seeing an article about a Bronx fake cop theft ring busted and the gear used by the theft ring resembled the description of the gear you described including a badge and tactical gear a fake unmarked police car.

OK that's still stinking garbage. Where exactly did they get a list? Unless he was a Chicago resident and registered them with city hall at some point they shouldn't have any way to compile a list.

If Chicago police came to Dupage and rang my bell...I wouldn't answer. I don't answer my door for anybody who hasn't called first. I might call 911 and have my local PD intercept them though. I'd bet they wouldn't be too happy about CPD making housecalls here.

Did they go to a Cook County gun store and pressure them to give up 4473 data?

I dont think there is any LEO that would come knocking at your door with paperworks telling you your FOID had been revoked and take away your guns without receiving an official letter from ISP first informing you that your FOID was revoked. Once you recieved a letter from ISP telling you such, have a family member or friends with FOID to take possession of your guns. Dont turn them over to the cops, you might not see them again or it it could take a long process to get them back. Edited by splash

Reading in:

PUBLIC SAFETY
(430 ILCS 65/) Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

(430 ILCS 65/9.5)

Sec. 9.5. Revocation of Firearm Owner's Identification Card.
(a) A person who receives a revocation notice under Section 9 of this Act shall, within 48 hours of receiving notice of the revocation:
(1) surrender his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the local law enforcement agency where the person resides. The local law enforcement agency shall provide the person a receipt and transmit the Firearm Owner's Identification Card to the Department of State Police; and
(2) complete a Firearm Disposition Record on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police and place his or her firearms in the location or with the person reported in the Firearm Disposition Record. The form shall require the person to disclose:
(A) the make, model, and serial number of each firearm owned by or under the custody and control of the revoked person;
(B) the location where each firearm will be maintained during the prohibited term; and
© if any firearm will be transferred to the custody of another person, the name, address and Firearm Owner's Identification Card number of the transferee.
(B) The local law enforcement agency shall provide a copy of the Firearm Disposition Record to the person whose Firearm Owner's Identification Card has been revoked and to the Department of State Police.
© If the person whose Firearm Owner's Identification Card has been revoked fails to comply with the requirements of this Section, the sheriff or law enforcement agency where the person resides may petition the circuit court to issue a warrant to search for and seize the Firearm Owner's Identification Card and firearms in the possession or under the custody or control of the person whose Firearm Owner's Identification Card has been revoked.
The letter referenced from Section 9 is from the Illinois State Police and it is incumbent upon the gun owner to take the next steps - turn in FOID and a Firearm Disposition Records Form to local law enforcement.
The last paragraph © describes local enforcement getting a warrant and then knocking on your door per se and taking your FOID and firearms (but not ammo - reading the separate definitions of firearm and firearm ammunition).