BEWARE OF ONE MAN WHO ONLY OWNS ONE GUN

marathonrunner

YOU SHOOT MORE THAN ONE GUN?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. When you go to the range, how many guns do you bring to shoot?

2. 2. How often do you train with your CCW gun?

• Never
    • Every Time you go?
    • Occasionally?
    • When it is a full moon?
  3. 3. Which Gun manufacture makes the best quality handguns? Choose only one answer

4. 4. Which Gun manufacturer in your opinion makes the least qaulity firearms?

5. 5. If the person in line in front of you at a fast food restaurant dropped a $100 dollar bill, would you pick it up and tell him?

• Yes honesty is always the best policy
    • No I would keep it tough luck buddy
    • Maybe maybe not

Well, after being on this forum, I now see shooting different guns only leads to inconsistent results. I am wondering how many here shoot more than one gun or do you only use one gun and stick with that? I love my Shield but that is not exactly a fun gun for target. I love my target gun, but that serves a different purpose. I feel the one gun that will give me the most utility will be the one for CCW.

So my question for all, do you all shoot more than one gun when you go to range or just one gun? I have not shot my Shield in a long time but is the carry gun I use but two outings ago I shot like crap with it. I improved last week but now I realize shooting a single action like the CZ P09 can mess you up when you are also shooting striker fired. Anybody here can shoot multiple platforms and still get muscle memory down? So I want to take a survey. Please respond to the following

It sure will be interesting to see which gun manufacturer makes the best and which makes the worse. If you selected an answer, please tell us why you made your choice and on what basis.

Smith & Wesson:

- Seems to be leading the votes as far as being best quality. With the exception of a few cracked slides posts on the MP Shields, I have not seen anybody complaining about the gun malfunctioning.

Kimber"

- I am surprised that some chose this to be the least quality. I was always under the impression their high price commanded quality.

Walther Arms

- I also see some voting Walther Arms as least quality. I can vouch for their PPX does not seem to be all that and their PPS seems way over priced for what you get. But their PPQ I feel is their flagship and very well made .

Ruger Arms

- I personally love their striker fired guns and think the design, shape, and triggers are better than a stock Glock but the deal breaker for me was the endless complaints on forums from A through Z and their fit and finish don't seem that great. However, the SR22 I have to say i love

Well, after being on this forum, I now see shooting different guns only leads to inconsistent results. I am wondering how many here shoot more than one gun or do you only use one gun and stick with that? I love my Shield but that is not exactly a fun gun for target. I love my target gun, but that serves a different purpose. I feel the one gun that will give me the most utility will be the one for CCW.

So my question for all, do you all shoot more than one gun when you go to range or just one gun? I have not shot my Shield in a long time but is the carry gun I use but two outings ago I shot like crap with it. I improved last week but now I realize shooting a single action like the CZ P09 can mess you up when you are also shooting striker fired. Anybody here can shoot multiple platforms and still get muscle memory down? So I want to take a survey. Please respond to the following

Won't let me complete the poll without answering everything. I do not have experience with many of those brands.

Typically go to the range with one or two guns that would or might be carried, and possibly one that I am testing handloads with.

I want to know who the 2 were that voted for Sig as a least quality gun and there reasons for there vote . Has me shaking my head

I don't know if this is true, but have read that Sig's long rifles are not so great. I do think they make good pistols but if it was a choice between them and Heckler and Kock, I would pick Heckler and Koch all day. The only reason I did not choose Heckler and Koch was the price is way too much. If they had the same accuracy as Glock's I would consider but they don't seem to at least for me that is

I usually go to the range 2x a month. I always shoot 50-100rnds out of my carry gun. Sometimes more.

I generally bring 3-4 guns but don't always shoot them all. Depends what's going on that day. I don't always have time to clean everything,(I have OCD when it comes to cleaning after shooting)or I know I just won't feel like cleaning. So I won't shoot everything. Sometimes I'll walk around and talk with other shooters, so those days I only shoot my carry gun. Then there's range days that I want to shoot a little of everything.

I didn't do the poll. The "best" or "worst" guns will vary broadly from user to user. I never really thought about guns as great or horrible? There's some I like to shoot and some I don't like to shoot. The guy next to me might have the opposite opinion? Neither of us is wrong.

I want to know who the 2 were that voted for Sig as a least quality gun and there reasons for there vote . Has me shaking my head

I'm one of a few now. The old Sig guns are high quality and desirable. Not true of some newer releases. I'm pretty sure the same guy in management (Ron Cohen)who screwed up Kimber also screwed up Sig around 2005 upon becoming CEO. Mine had to be shipped back after a week because of light strikes and a dead night sight. They changed the sight, test fired it, and sent it back. It still light strikes on anything but Federal primers. Boo. That's not the quality I thought I was paying for.

The wording of "best quality" is a tough one. My answer of "best quality" and "most dependable" are quite different @ I show my friends my Kimber and show the bad guy my Glock!

That's a good one! As I said before I think Heckler and Kock make the best quality but not the most accurate from the ones I tried at least

I usually go to the range to test ammo in one thing at a time. Sometimes bring 2. That's usually plenty to keep me busy for hours. On rare occasions I might take 3. I don't practice with carry gun every time, basically because I'm usually doing something else.

I may be one of the few people who respond to this thread that has shot multiples of all of these brands. I own one or more of six of them and have buddies that own one or more of the other three (and then some.)

My response to the best quality of the group is, there is no definitive answer. All of these manufacturers are striving to put as good of a quality product on the market as possible to grab as much market share as possible. I know this seems like a generic answer but these kinds of questions when dealing with these manufacturers wont' generate much valuable information. It's always going to be somebody throwing out their opinion based on something they own and it all depends on who decides to respond. There will be people who are on both sides of the fence on every gun listed, depending on who answers. Almost all of them have hits and misses between given models and all of them may put out an occasional lemon.

Glocks and Rugers could be considered the most vanilla on the list. But the Glock may be the most reliable of the bunch through heavy use and all conditions. If you go and buy one of each, take them out of the box and fire 100 rounds, you may get some feedback. Not much. The true test is what happens after years of use. Thousands of rounds. What's been torture tested? You have to say the Glocks have been through it and performed. But they're the least likable. The least attractive IMO. But that doesn't necessarily mean the worst quality.

To lay a Kimber 1911 next to a Colt and say one is better than the other is meaningless. There are design differences. Finish differences. But most of it is cosmetic. Not enough there to warrant saying one is better than the other. They are certainly tighter than Glocks and have awesome triggers.

My buddy got an HK45 and he says he read they go through heavy testing at the factory. According to him,( I have not verified), but he says they jam a bullet down the barrel and then fire another live round behind it and they are required to stand up to this test and blow the front one out. How many of these would stand up to this test? Would that make an HK the best quality?

If somebody really wants to know, what holds up in the real world, they should go to the training forum and ask some of the instructors who have seen countless pistols of every type go through their classes over the years. I took a weekend course with Fortress Defense a year ago and we had many different brands there. Everybody got to try out everybody else's at one point. Was a fun break in the middle.

In their courses they fire hundreds of rounds in a weekend. Anywhere from 4 to 800 rounds. Some courses, each person goes through 1k rounds in a weekend. Through one gun. Of course this is extreme use, but this also forces everybody there to see what their guns are capable of. Whatever is going to break or fail, you're going to find out. Many people may never put even 500 rounds through their pistol in a lifetime. Most people here will but how long will it be before you do? I usually shoot 100 to 200 rounds in a range session, easily. I also reload though so I was able to go out through the shortages too.

Anyway, I will relay from that course that Frank (the owner and head instructor for Fortress) is a big fan of Glocks and S&Ws. He carries S&W M&Ps. Yes, plural. I believe he said he ran approx. 15k rounds through the M&P that year without a hiccup. Before I went to that class, I wasn't familiar with the M&P. I now own one and so do two of my buddies. Some people don't like the curled, break safety, triggers. I think it's fine. I love the gun and do carry it occasionally.

I know another guy that is a huge Springfield XD fan. He shoots competition with it. He claims to go through 20 to 25k rounds a year with it. He's on his third barrel in it. That's what he likes. I have an XDm .45. It has it's good points. Has never jammed on me. A little fat but can be carried (and have).

In warmer weather, I like to carry my Springfield EMP .40. It's a pricey carry gun but fits nice in IWB. In all honesty, out of the box it had failure to feed issues. I made an appointment at SA and drove it back to Geneseo myself. Set it in the box. They took it in and worked on it while I waited in the waiting room. The machinist came out and showed me that he needed to polish the nubs underneath the barrel to let it move easier. This lets the barrel move ahead a tiny bit when cycling which gains enough clearance for a .40 shell to climb the very steep ramp in this compact gun which uses a very high tension recoil spring.

That's all it needed. It never had another stoppage after that. I'm confident enough to carry it now but it was not looking good at first. Now, some people have had that same issue with them out of the box. Others have not. Does that make it a bad quality gun? It shoots awesome for a 3" barrel. It's a very nice gun.

I've seen another guy shooting a Ruger 1911 and have the front sight just shear off while he was shooting. Didn't drop it or anything. The slide slamming, sheared the front sight off. On some S&W M&Ps and shields, the rear sight gets loose and slides out of place with use.

IMO, there's too many factors and too many guns for most people you're going to meet to be able to give you a fair, knowledgeable assessment of what's the best and worst out of this list. Most people are not qualified to give an answer. There will always be some bias. I can only relay my own experiences as others will too. Which as a whole, may form some valuable, real life information.

I'm surprised so many people picked Ruger as making the worst quality firearms. I mean sure they make some lemons from time to time given the price range and mass manufacture but I think they have great quality all things considered.

Mic6010, if you google any gun manufacturer, you will find problems and issues with all guns. However, Ruger's seem to have more issues, more forums complaining, then any other gun manufacturer. If you google "SR9c problems" and google "MP Shield problems," you will find this

MP Shield

- Cracked slide

- Recall on trigger

Ruger SR9c

- Magazine pin walks out

- Trigger pin walks out

- Magazine release button falls out

- LIght primer strikes - Users disconnected mag disconnect release to fix that

- jamming issues

- failure to feed, extract

- Black finish uneven and wearing off alarming rate

- Slide locks back even with ammo in it.

I am not bashing Ruger here even though it sounds like I am. I am a fan of some of their product liine like the SR22 is a very fun gun to shoot and I love it, but will it hold up not sure. The LC9s I love that pistol and heard it shoots great, I love the trigger but for self defense not sure I could trust that. Same with the SR9c. Ruger's triggers are so much better than Glock, MP"s, Heckler and Kock, and the only pistol it cannot beat is the Walther PPQ.

I also think Ruger's are the cheapest or one of the cheapest so you get what you pay for.

Sig, Smith, Springfield, Glock should be at the top of the list.

I shoot multiple guns when I go to the range. I can switch between any gun I own and not have any issues. If you can't, you need more trigger time with each gun.

If I try someone else's gun, it may take a little getting used to, but slow fire, I'll shoot just as well no matter what I'm using. Faster shooting is the only time I notice a difference shooting a gun I'm not used to.

An example is while shooting my PPITH instructor qual. Consists of a 9" target, 21 feet, "accelerated pairs" two shot string in 2 seconds, repeated 10 tomes without missing. I made a mistake and didn't bring my range equipment. Just my XDM45 and 1 loaded mag which was what I was carrying and had in the car that day.

Since I only had 1 mag, I borrowed someone else's 9mm sig. First time ever shooting it, and I couldn't pass the qual with it. Just decided I'd have to reload my mag and used the XDM, passed no problem. If I had maybe had a longer time to get used to the Sig, I would've been fine. When I shot it slowly, my groups were the same as any other gun. Throw a little speed in, and I didn't shoot it as well.

Bottom line, you should be proficient with every firearm you own, and be able to shoot multiple guns in one session without any issues transitioning. Practice makes perfect.

This is why your poll sucks:

How often do you train with your CCW gun?
  1. Never
  2. Every Time you go?
  3. Occasionally?
  4. When it is a full moon?

I understood the "full moon" option to indicate once a month, since the moon cycle is 28 days. That is the option that I chose.

I also think the "best/worst" should be "represents greatest/least value".

OK, the quote, attributed to Clint Smith, is "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

What does a poll on who makes the highest quality firearms and who makes the lowest quality firearms have to do with that quote?

all for the sake of a bit of humor....I Haven['t been on this site in a long time but the few times I have checked in, it was the same ol same old ham sandwich. So trying to keep things lite. I dont' think there is a need to get upset about it .Sorry if that made you mad. I won't post anymore. Done

I practice with my EDC about once every two weeks.

I usually take at least 3 guns to the range and I spend a lot of time plinking with 22s. That doesn't ruin my ability to use my Rohrbaugh R9.

It is hard to say who makes the least quality. Glock basically only has one line of handguns. S&W has $1,000+ Performance Center offerings and a value offering in the SD9VE, Walther has some Umarex in their line.

Archived