What's your *carry gun?

kurt555gs

I have been lucky enough to work part time in Texas for the last couple of years. I have also traveled extensively around the country as well. I have a pretty good selection of pistols in my safe to choose from for my carry piece, but I have one, that may actually be surprising to many here that is my day to day *carry work horse.

I love big bore revolvers, but *carrying one all day in urban areas is actually impossible. I also have some very nice automatics like the Kimber Super Carry Pro .45, or my FN FiveseveN. *Carrying those would be OK, until I found in a traffic stop that I had unknowingly broken some obscure Oklahoma firearms law and have it confiscated. I also have some good service grade automatics and even a tiny .380.

No, when I can *carry every day I have ended up with a Ruger LCR .38 with a Tritium front sight, and a Simply Rugged Pancake holster. I also have an LCR with a Laser but I don't really like it. This combination is light, reliable, and with the pancake OWB holster virtually unnoticeable through clothing. In Texas, that is a big deal because you will be arrested if your *carry piece shows through. They call that "printing". So, light, reliable, concealable, and comfortable in the long run points to my LCR.

How about you?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36782200/2012-03-24%2008.58.59.jpg

* Outside of Illinois, or unloaded and enclosed in a case within Illinois.

My holsters (a CompTac Minotaur and a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe) fit all of my Springfield XDMs (except for my XDM45) and my Sig P229 SAS. I have carried them all. Lately, I have carried my latest acquisition, a Springfield XD40sc that I bought used -and it was barely used; like new, really!- from a friend. It is my "camera bag" gun here in IL and is just handy to grab, so it has been going with me when I go out of state. They all carry very comfortably with those holsters and a decent belt. I haven't invested in a nice carry belt yet, but found a Dickies leather work belt at Walmart for about $12.00 that has worked just fine.

Here is a pic with the Crossbreed, which I find a bit more comfy than the Minotaur. Both holsters are great, though.

http://i40.tinypic.com/5tt37a.jpg

Hi,

I prefer my Glock 26. For comfort and convenience, a Ruger LCP often gets the nod. I also sometimes carry a stainless J-frame Smith. However the Glock has twice the capacity of either, without a reload. And if I may be going into no-laser jurisdictions, the LCP is out anyway.

I used to carry a HK P-7, which I still have and love dearly. It's a very thin, sort of expensive 9mm with grip cocker that makes it really safe, a low bore axis for quick reacquisition, and an absolutely indestructible Robar finish, so I never have to worry about moisture in our sweaty summers. Then my son got me into Glocks...

And by the way, what a crazy thing laser laws are. If people were logical, they'd realize how lasers actually represent a step up in public safety -- not something sinister.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

G26 for me also. That is when i carry in a free state utilizing my Florida or Utah permit. G30 is usually in the vehicle with me every where. In a legal condition of course. They are both accurate, reliable weapons that i trust completely. Recently sold an lcr in 38. Very nice weapon. Just prefer the capacity of the 26, and seem to shoot it a little better. The 30 is an absolute joy to fire. Probably the most accurate, easy to shoot weapon i've ever owned. It's OD too!

Well when I transport my firearm, unloaded and encased, its usually my T9. If we ever get legalized carry, I will purchase a crossbreed for it. I have been looking for a micro 1911 lately to replace the T9, simply because I love the 1911 platform so much. The T9 is beautiful, reliable and definitely "almost" every day carryable, with jeans, dress pants or cargo shorts but anything lighter than that I would have a problem. Hmm...do I need an even smaller gun added to the stable? Oh no....rolleyes.gif

Summertime: S&W 642, Glock 27, Glock 19, or Kimber Ultracarry - all IWB

Wintertime: Kimber 5" or Glock 22 (occasionally a full-sized .40 XDM) - all OWB

I feel very comfortable with any of those guns, and am pretty proficient at handling and firing them all (most proficient with the Glock 22, however). I often shoot any one of them in local IDPA matches. Tactically, I suppose it would be better to shoot and carry only one type of handgun. But I feel confident with all of them ... so, I carry whichever one strikes my fancy.

Summertime: S&W 642, Glock 27, Glock 19, or Kimber Ultracarry - all IWB

Wintertime: Kimber 5" or Glock 22 (occasionally a full-sized .40 XDM) - all OWB

I feel very comfortable with any of those guns, and am pretty proficient at handling and firing them all (most proficient with the Glock 22, however). I often shoot any one of them in local IDPA matches. Tactically, I suppose it would be better to shoot and carry only one type of handgun. But I feel confident with all of them ... so, I carry whichever one strikes my fancy.

Amen, last year at this time I was extremely anti Glock, then I bought a used G22 sight unseen from Buds. Some say they are ugly, I think its one of the most beautiful pieces in my collection. If I had only 1 and needed to defend myself, I would trust it with my life. Once that CCW license is in my wallet I may actually come to enjoy the cold weather.

It depends on where I am going and how I am dressed . I can carry either the PF-9 or the Kimber tactical ultra IWB . I also can carry the Kimber OWB or with a shoulder holster.

For everyday carry around my home ( inside or outside ) I use a belly band holster to carry my PF-9 in the open.

^^^ I REALLY LIKE THAT!

The EMP is a sweet pistol! I had the pleasure of test-firing one at a Springfield Armory Days event at a local shop. Sweet sweet pistol. I'm kind bummed my wife didn't win the EMP IllinoisCarry.com raffled off.

Living in a border community, I end up carrying with my non-res Utah permit almost every weekend. I have a lot of trigger-time invested in Glock pistols, so I bought a G26 last year. It rides pretty comfortably in an Old Faithful holster. Winchester 124-grain SXT for ammo. After all the time I have spent training with a full-size Glock, I can shoot the G26 instinctively and naturally. At fifty feet or less, it is as accurate or better than my larger Glocks.

-- Frank

ETA: I use a 5.11 Leather Casual Belt because of the internal polymer stiffener. It gives great support for the holster. Nice and stiff.

Wow!

I am really envious. Unfortunately, my entire firearm collection was lost in a tragic boating accident. It was the same weekend that Lou turned all of his in at a Father Snuffy gun buy back. He used the Wal Mart gift cards he got for his guns to buy a new Sony Bravia 55" TV (he had a LOT of guns)

Seriously, have you ever heard "the Internet is forever?"

Wow!

I am really envious. Unfortunately, my entire firearm collection was lost in a tragic boating accident. It was the same weekend that Lou turned all of his in at a Father Snuffy gun buy back. He used the Wal Mart gift cards he got for his guns to buy a new Sony Bravia 55" TV (he had a LOT of guns)

Actually Bud, I didn't have that many to turn on. I was only able to buy the 40 inch Sony GT40 but it does allow me to surf the Internet while watching Fox News.

Wow!

Actually Bud, I didn't have that many to turn on. I was only able to buy the 40 inch Sony GT40 but it does allow me to surf the Internet while watching Fox News.

Hmmm... all I got was a DVD of Rio Bravo out of the $5 bin and a lousy t-shirt!!

When I'm in the "enlightened" states; I carry a S&W M&P 9C with a Comp-tac IWB. To be completely comfortable with an IWB, I wear a "wife-beater" t-shirt. Darn leather sticks if I don't. Wife carries a Ruger SP 101 or Walther PK 380 in a carry purse. Irritates the cr@p out of us to have to unholster/unload when entering Il after travelling.

Archived