Does an 8 Hour credit apply for an NRA Instructor?

riverbend

I was contacted by an individual who is an NRA certified Pistol Instructor.

She wishes to obtain an Illinois FCCL.

The ISP will issue up to 8 Hours of credit to a person who has completed Basic Pistol as a student, but makes no mention of Instructor.

I know today one must complete BP as a student before being certified as an instructor, but that was not the case a few years ago.

How can i help her? I can give her the additional 8 hours, but can i accept her NRA Basic Pistol Instructor as 8 hours credit ?

She might as well just become a CCL instructor with the credentials she has and get her CCL without the additional training costs.She will have to pay for finger prints, no way around that.

I thought new CCL instructors had to take day two now?

I received a reply from instructor_docs.

I will proceed to enroll this student planning on allowing 8 hours of credit.

Yes.

Illinois State Police

Concealed Carry Firearms
Instructor/Curriculum Section
801 S Seventh Street, Suite 400-M
Springfield, IL 62703

I was contacted by an individual who is an NRA certified Pistol Instructor.

She wishes to obtain an Illinois FCCL.

The ISP will issue up to 8 Hours of credit to a person who has completed Basic Pistol as a student, but makes no mention of Instructor.

I know today one must complete BP as a student before being certified as an instructor, but that was not the case a few years ago.

How can i help her? I can give her the additional 8 hours, but can i accept her NRA Basic Pistol Instructor as 8 hours credit ?

If she is an NRA instructor she can do 2 things... 1 write herself her own BP certificate. 2 forego your class and apply to be an ILFCCL instructor and then write another certificate for herself to be a ILFCCL licensee.

I think you have to have a CCL prior to becoming an ISP certified instructor nowadays. It wasn't that way when the program first rolled out.

Wow news to me, and actually that's not bad. Too many instructors haven't read the laws so at least taking a class is a step in the right direction.

I think you have to have a CCL prior to becoming an ISP certified instructor nowadays. It wasn't that way when the program first rolled out.

Wow news to me, and actually that's not bad. Too many instructors haven't read the laws so at least taking a class is a step in the right direction.

Yes, instructors who are IL residents (or residents of a substantially similar state) must have an IL CCL or be in the process of obtaining one.

Nonresidents of all other states must have carry licenses from their own states of residence.

Archived