Intro to Action Pistol Clinic- Steel, IDPA, USPSA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

It's getting to be that time of year again and the calls are coming in from people wanting to take up action pistol shooting like IDPA.
North Porter County Conservation Club, a private shooting range club about 30 miles east of Chicago, sponsors our running the Intro to Action Pistol Competition day clinic every spring to get new competitors ready to come to the range on Sundays to shoot Steel Challenge, IDPA, and USPSA.
There are two dates scheduled:
Saturday, March 25th, 2017
Saturday, April 15th, 2017
The class runs all day, from 9am Central (Chicago) time til about 5:30pm.  The class fee, thanks to the subsidy from NPCCC, is only $120.
We will cover:
Safety and gunhandling
Range rules and protocols
The rules of each sport, beginning with Steel, then IDPA, then USPSA
Lots of live fire on the outdoor range beginning with simple draw and fire drills on steel and progressing through the disciplines with more-complex drills and mini-stages.
You'll expend at least 150-200 rounds.  You'll want to have your service-type pistol and a range-type OWB holsters.  Micro guns and concealment holsters will take up time better spent on the fundamentals of the draw, presentation, speed shooting, movement, multiple targets, reloads, and all the rest.  Transitioning to the carry guns later is easier and less costly than the other way around.
Your instructors are TD Roe, female USPSA competitor sponsored by Canyon Creek Custom Guns and SnS Casting Bullets, one of the top women competitors in USPSA;
Bill Zeller, multi-discipline match director: USPSA (at North Porter and Oak Park), IDPA, multi-gun, ICORE and others.
Scheduled to assist is Mike Gnyra, USPSA Grand Master in Limited and Single Stack divisions.  (Watching a GM run a handgun is educational all by itself!)
A guide to what equipment you'll want to have is on our website along with registration, which we need in advance to plan.
www.exceltraininggroup.com.
Our Facebook page has updates, too.

11057963_1269140773113757_71161037244153

And a video of the closing USPSA stage, Mark S. showing good form:

https://www.facebook...69684156392752/

Winter may change to summer, but the silly season goes on and on...

#2 mcspider

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Great experience. Highly recommend. btw, that's me in the middle from last year, dark grey shirt...

#3 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

The website mentions another session at Pine Tree. Any word on the date for that one?

#4 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

The Pine Tree one was previous; this year, we did two women's events there and didn't have a time to do the Intro to AP.

Maybe next year.

I am, however, plotting to do an Intro to IDPA at GAT Guns someday.  The store supports the idea, and now it's a schedule/pricing thing.

#5 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

OK, good to know. I'll see if there is still space available when I have all the necessary gear assembled (just ordered an OWB holster, since I don't have a good one)

#6 cherryriver

Actual Member

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

geomick, for these and any class with holsters and related gear, we always bring a big box of gear.  Just let us know what you're running and we likely have something for you to use.

#7 geomick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

geomick, for these and any class with holsters and related gear, we always bring a big box of gear.  Just let us know what you're running and we likely have something for you to use.

I just ordered stuff from AlienGear, including multiple shells. I will decide which of the three (CZ 75b, P-07 or P-09, and paddle vs belt loop) options I want to train with. (P-09 is less likely, since I only have the original 2 magazines).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users