Reviews of IL CCW Classes- post them here

askoop

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a shout out to Brian McNichols of MMI Guns. Had the CCW class with him this past weekend. The class was very informative, fun and Brian himself is a straight shooter. His class covered all the required material plus some. A lot of hands on with the class that I wasn't really expecting. Although I've been around pistols most of my life I still walked away with more education than before the class. Highly recommended.

Well, I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, and finally decided to make an account so I could post about my class that I took this past weekend. I took the 16 hour 2 day course offered by Top Shot Academy and hosted at the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates.

The class was excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Our instructors, Chip, Kevin, Tony, and Michelle were all outstanding. They were all extremely friendly, professional, and knew their stuff. They also kept the class fun and engaging while still conveying the seriousness of the material they were presenting.

The training with the SIRT pistols and holsters gave the class good fundamentals to build upon, and provided a very nice break to the "classroom" style material that helped the time fly by.

Again, I would highly recommend Top Shot Academy to anyone.

I also wanted to post one piece of constructive criticism and provide a suggestion as some feedback. There were times when the class felt somewhat hijacked by questions from the students - too many "what if" scenarios. I know it's important to get questions answered and the engagement with the class is great, but at the same time I want to hear what the professionals are trying to present. Perhaps cover the material in each section, and then have a 10 or 15 minute Q&A before breaks/lunch to cover any questions from the students about the material just presented. Just an idea.

Thanks again Chip, Kevin, Tony and Michelle - class was awesome and looking forward to doing more training with you guys!

Tony

Hey Tony,

Thanks for your kind words and feedback. I agree that sometimes the "what if" scenarios can go on forever, and we'll continue to try to manage those questions so they don't detract from the class. That said, typically if one student has a question, there's 5 or 10 more that are thinking the same thing. We strive to make sure everyone has a clear understanding of rights as well as risks and responsibility regarding concealed carry.

Hope to see you in the future for our advanced courses.

Best Regards,

- chip

Ya those what ifs are just not possible to answer, I just remind them that if the 3 things are in place at the same time in their what if scenario then force is justified. It's really as simple as that Ability, Oportunity, Jepordy, either those things are present or they're not. This is also why I do a section on situational awareness because the best kind of gun fight is the one you can avoid

I took my class last weekend from Mike Bius, Illinois Gun Pros. Price was reasonable, whole process was professional, training was very good and I felt like I learned some new things and am ready for the responsibility that goes along with carrying. But most of all the class did not seem to drag on like so many full day sessions can. It was interesting and kept fresh the entire day. I am so glad I chose this instructor.

I took my class last weekend from Mike Bius, Illinois Gun Pros. Price was reasonable, whole process was professional, training was very good and I felt like I learned some new things and am ready for the responsibility that goes along with carrying. But most of all the class did not seem to drag on like so many full day sessions can. It was interesting and kept fresh the entire day. I am so glad I chose this instructor.

Thank you.

I thought I would throw my review in here. I took my training at Independence Arms in Peoria. Class was a total of 7 people. Everyone except me (37) was at or near retirement age. I only had to take the 2nd day as I already have multiple permits.

Overall, it was a somewhat scary experience and the instructor was good but not great. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them but I also wouldn’t say it was bad training. Just average I guess.

The instructor didn’t know the law as well as I think he should, made up his own shooting requirements and allowed for way too many student “what ifs”. He has been teaching that it is illegal to have any alcohol in your system while carrying. Not true. He created his own shooting requirements that are tougher than what is required. I don’t have a problem with that as far as hitting the target goes but I don’t feel it’s fair to go above and beyond what the law states. There were way too many “what ifs” explored in the class. It caused the class to slow down to a snails pace at times.

Now for the scary part. Of the 7 students, 3 of them had never shot a handgun before this class (they shot Sat. after the 1st part of the class for the 1st time). Some students didn’t know how to operate their gun. They didn’t know how to make the slide lock back, how to release it, etc. Keeping that in mind, we started the shooting portion of class. After shooting a few practice shots and stepping away from the firing line I saw one student trying to clear a jam with the gun aimed down the firing line (not down range). The RO did correct him but still, it spooked me. After that I decided I was going to shot as quickly as possible and get off the firing line asap. Barely passed the shooting test but I don’t really care. I’m alive to do a review.

I thought I would throw my review in here. I took my training at Independence Arms in Peoria. Class was a total of 7 people. Everyone except me (37) was at or near retirement age. I only had to take the 2nd day as I already have multiple permits.

Overall, it was a somewhat scary experience and the instructor was good but not great. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them but I also wouldn’t say it was bad training. Just average I guess.

The instructor didn’t know the law as well as I think he should, made up his own shooting requirements and allowed for way too many student “what ifs”. He has been teaching that it is illegal to have any alcohol in your system while carrying. Not true. He created his own shooting requirements that are tougher than what is required. I don’t have a problem with that as far as hitting the target goes but I don’t feel it’s fair to go above and beyond what the law states. There were way too many “what ifs” explored in the class. It caused the class to slow down to a snails pace at times.

Now for the scary part. Of the 7 students, 3 of them had never shot a handgun before this class (they shot Sat. after the 1st part of the class for the 1st time). Some students didn’t know how to operate their gun. They didn’t know how to make the slide lock back, how to release it, etc. Keeping that in mind, we started the shooting portion of class. After shooting a few practice shots and stepping away from the firing line I saw one student trying to clear a jam with the gun aimed down the firing line (not down range). The RO did correct him but still, it spooked me. After that I decided I was going to shot as quickly as possible and get off the firing line asap. Barely passed the shooting test but I don’t really care. I’m alive to do a review.

Let me guess...American Firearms and Ammo? They are doing their own classes now.

You are correct Craig. I haven't had any issues with them as far as purchasing guns, etc. but I can see how some folks would not get along with the woman who runs it.

We used to teach there before they decided to do their own Illinois. Boog (Greg) was there before that.

Yeah, I took my FL and UT class there too but it was C.C.Anywhere (or something like that) that taught the class. I don't know for sure but I heard that they don't let outside company's teach there anymore. That would be a shame.

You are correct Craig. I haven't had any issues with them as far as purchasing guns, etc. but I can see how some folks would not get along with the woman who runs it.

We used to teach there before they decided to do their own Illinois. Boog (Greg) was there before that.

Yeah, I took my FL and UT class there too but it was C.C.Anywhere (or something like that) that taught the class. I don't know for sure but I heard that they don't let outside company's teach there anymore. That would be a shame.

That is correct. They eliminated all the other outside instructors. It's just them now. A gun shop/range only getting 7 people for IL CCL class tells me it must be slow for everyone.

GSL Defense Training

Last Saturday my father, my wife, and I took the second 8 hour class with John Boch and crew at the DeWitt Sportsman Club. As a long time shooter and someone who read the law as soon as the veto override occurred, will say that I was impressed at how well the class was run.

My wife and father had never drawn from a holster and by the end of the day both felt a lot more comfortable about carrying once we all get our CCL's.

I highly recommend GSL Defense Training. (While not directly attached the club GunsSavesLives.com, most of the instructors are in leadership positions of the club.) Disclaimer: I am a member of the club "GSL.com".

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I took the 16 hour plus Utah course from Craig and Kevin Celia at SAFE. Excellent course, well presented. All of the instructors were knowledgeable and above all patient. Everyone learned a lot, and had a great time as well.

Love those SIRT pistols!

I can recommend SAFE without reservations to anybody needing CCW training.

Last weekend I took the 16 hour plus Utah course from Craig and Kevin Celia at SAFE. Excellent course, well presented. All of the instructors were knowledgeable and above all patient. Everyone learned a lot, and had a great time as well.

Love those SIRT pistols!

Wow, thank you for the kind review. Yes, those SIRT's are a great tool!

CCW-USA
Instructor: Dan Brewster.
*** ABRIDGED Version: ***
Pros: (In no particular order)
Small class room size
Knowledgeable instructor
Great variety of teaching methods/classroom aides
SIRT Guns
Wide variety of firearms
Instructor demeanor
Cost
Willing to help before/after class
Responsive to inquiries
Focus on safety
Holster draw practice with eye on safety
Cons:
NRA Basic Pistol class material aimed more at novices
Ambiguity and confusion around law/rules
No Utah permit if desired
Overall, a great experience. Would recommend this to others who need the 16 hrs of training.
If you want to see the details of the whole experience.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48496

GSL Defense Training Last Saturday my father, my wife, and I took the second 8 hour class with John Boch and crew at the DeWitt Sportsman Club. As a long time shooter and someone who read the law as soon as the veto override occurred, will say that I was impressed at how well the class was run. My wife and father had never drawn from a holster and by the end of the day both felt a lot more comfortable about carrying once we all get our CCL's. I highly recommend GSL Defense Training. (While not directly attached the club GunsSavesLives.com, most of the instructors are in leadership positions of the club.) Disclaimer: I am a member of the club "GSL.com".

gunssavelife.com This is the correct web site, the one you listed is a completly seperate enity. I am also a long time member and since my retirement last spring allways try to make the meetings. I will be in Rantoul this comming Tuesday. Jim.

gunssavelife.com This is the correct web site, the one you listed is a completely separate entity. I am also a long time member and since my retirement last spring always try to make the meetings. I will be in Rantoul this coming Tuesday. Jim.

You're correct, by the time I realized my mistake, I could not edit my post and can't currently afford to be a supporting member. Maybe someday I will come back and correct the post.

Atwood Guns

Instructor: Heath Fleener

I took the full 16 hour class even though I only needed 8. We decided that due to my disability it would probably be best and you can never have too much training. The first day consisted of weapons instruction, safety, general knowledge and in my case one on one with another trainer. I still learned a lot even though I have been around firearms most of my life.

The second day covered Illinois Law, Case Law, and Exceptional detail of when to use force and when not to. Additionally my personal trainer Nick helped me determine the best way to carry and any modifications needed to the way I shoot. see attachment

Range day was actually fun. Nick worked with me personally and Heath even provided me with extra ammo for the speed shoot.

Heath is a Police Firearms Instructor, Use of Force Instructor, as well as a Police Officer and Investigator. I was impressed at how he teaches looking from the perspective of the person that is going to respond if I have to use force.

Additionally, taking the courses from Heath, 40% goes to local charity organizations.

I would Highly recommend Atwood Guns, Heath, and his Staff for classes.

post-10511-0-02270000-1399743995_thumb.gif

What the heck. I'll tell you about my IL CCW class.

My lovely wife and I took a class put on by GSL Defense Training at the DeWitt County Sports Club near Clinton last October.

It wasn't the cheapest at $250 per person, but my wife and I came together and if you sign up in pairs, you save half price on the second person. That was nice. My wife was less than thrilled at going, but accompanied me anyway.

I chose them because I knew a bunch of their instructors were involved with leadership of Guns Save Life and heard lots of good things from their past students I talked with on my occasional visits to the GSL meetings in Rantoul. I heard nothign but raves and liked Wright, Naese and Boch, three of the main guys from GSL who were also involved in this training group.

When we pulled in and saw all the cars we thought "uh oh". It was teaming with people. I was expecting a few people (we had six in our Basic Pistol class, to put it into perspective), but not this many.

There were roughly 35 students there. Demographic: Third plus women, ages from twenties to eighties. Some disability issues, particularly from the older folks. Some had little experience, some like me had some previous training (intro to tac pistol) and some there looked and sounded as though they could probably teach the thing. My wife falls into the little experience (she's a little anxious around guns, even after taking Basic Pistol with me a few years ago).

My first impression once we got started: These people are PROFESSIONAL.

They had eight or ten instructors, men and women, all wearing sharp-looking, professionally done uniforms. Some had been teaching for fifteen plus years. Their interaction among one another was fun. It was easy to see their passion for teaching and educating people. It was just plain fun. Two or three lawyers were there, a former FBI Agent and firearms trainer, another cop trainer, a college professor turning administrator - even an intern instructor learning the ropes. They made even the most serious subject light-hearted at key moments and played off one another. And that Frank Wright, he was hilarious with subtle one-liners that sometimes took a few seconds to sink in, but did good stuff to keep us engaged and chuckling. They either were all like best friends forever, or they did a masterful job putting off that vibe.

Oh, and they had staff members who helped with admin roles, food (snacks and drinks and anything else we needed from aspirin to getting us souvenir T-shirts).

They had all sorts of bonus material in with the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course materials. Including a fabulous syllabus so we didn't have to take notes.

Saturday morning was a little slow, as they reviewed safety and marksmanship fundamentals, sprinkling in some stuff to keep it at least half-way interesting for me. My wife like how they took it slow and didn't assume we all knew the basics.

Dry fire before lunch, then lectures and shooting. They separated all the couples into separate groups. Wife unit was a little nervous at first, but looking back, it was genius. By late Saturday they were running two simultaneous lines. Various exercises. LOTS of one-on-one attention to everyone. They had this tap you on the shoulder drill where they have you load under the careful supervision of an instructor. They analyzed us for the smallest flaw and I must admit, they changed a couple of things in my grip and it didn't "feel" right, but when my groups got smaller, I was sold.

Great lecture on the moral and ethical considerations, and the post-shooting interactions was priceless.

Sunday was more shooting and lectures. Gun cleaning. Tons of stuff. "Like drinking from a firehose."

Ended up shooting nearly 250 rounds per person. The "shoot-don't shoot" targets and step-and-drag exercise at the end was a perfect cap to the weekend's shooting exercises. They pushed each of us to the edge of our comfort zones and got the adrenaline going a little. I did great until I slapped the trigger and winged a hostage in the shoulder. Oh well, just a flesh wound.

Test Sunday late, which everyone passed. Qual was passed by all, including the 80-something woman with palsy. These instructors were masterful at helping us overcome things we were doing wrong and their patience was deep and wide.

My wife LOVED the positive reinforcement and soft-spoken corrections on what she was doing wrong.

On the ride back to Bloomington, she raved at what a good time she had. She thanked me for talking her into going and said she was up for going back for their next level class with me. For a woman who has never been real "into" guns and shooting, I was pleased with the transformation.

While I'm looking for something more exciting for the "next level" (like Masaad Ayoob or Chris Costa-like), I'll probably bring my wife to their next class later this fall. It'll be a fun and different weekend with the wife and a happy wife is a happy life.

I liked the class too. The GSL Defense peeps were head and shoulders about the quality of my basic pistol instructors and the class was more professionally done that either of the classes I've been to before. I felt like it was money and ammo well spent. The fact that the wife had a great time made it even more special.

She still wears her pink GSL Defense Training T-shirt to bed from time to time, too. ;-)

litte self promotion here

I did enjoy the class. We were out in the garage after we got home cleaning the pistols and were discussing the class. We all agreed that it was informative, held our interest, and was a great learning experience for us on different levels. It was not boring and dull, and you did a nice job of explaining, illustrating, and teaching the information. I personally learned many things during the 16 hours. The most important thing to me was my grip. It has never been comfortable or effective. That has completely changed since the classes. I feel so confident now about my grip that I don't even think much about it and can concentrate on other things. The next most important thing was my sight picture. You really brought that home for me as well. Anyway, great job and thanks.

Bill

Love those SIRT pistols!

I agree Nanook, I was also there last weekend, I took my Utah from Craig and Kevin last year,

very informative, and well presented

Love those SIRT pistols!

I agree Nanook, I was also there last weekend, I took my Utah from Craig and Kevin last year,

very informative, and well presented

Thanks Guys!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I did my training with TSI Firearms (Tactical Security Institute).

www.tsifirearms.com

For the first 8 hours of training, I opted to go with the NRA basic pistol course they offer for $112. I was pleased with the instructor and what was taught.

The second 8 hours I took their 'phase 2' course which mainly covered the law and use of force for $100. I was again pleased with the instructor and materials covered. They were able to answer everyone's questions in as much detail as needed.

Lunch was served at the American Legion hall and the range time was done at Rink's. (Lunch was included in the class fee)

It is nice to see them offered FEMALE ONLY NRA Basic Pistol courses as well! They also have application assistance available, as well as finger printing.

I was EXTREMELY pleased with my whole experience with this group and have nothing negative to say about them! I look forward to furthering my training with them in the near future in the PPOTH, PPITH, and their tactical pistol courses.

I did my "2nd 8 hours" training at QCI Firearms Training in Bettendorf, IA with Frank and Darin. These guys were really cool and knew their stuff - I think they are both former/current police and military and have a lot of experience training people, and with defensive shooting. The class went over a lot of legal instruction, including self-defense law, and information on things like carry insurance which I found to be really useful. What was really great, though, was all the actual hands-on training with simulators (Glock-style guns with lasers in them) including draw, stance and grip. Their focus was on "combat shooting" rather than simply scoring well on a target. There were about 7 of us in the class, mostly veterans, and it all went really smoothly. Towards the end we all got to practice on a machine that provided scenarios where you had to decide whether to shoot or not at a potential attacker (that may have been extra due to covering some material too quickly). I really liked these guys and thought it was some of the best pistol training I've ever had. I'd definitely go to them again for NRA Basic Pistol or some of their other courses (when I get some extra money!). Their price was decent and they offer a discount for Veterans and people who have trained with them before. They also provided everyone in the class with a CD containing all of their training materials at the end of the class and everyone was able to take their qualification targets home with them (I got 96% because I dropped one shot to the bottom of the silhouette and it was outside the rings). It was also really easy to register for the class by just going to their website and paying with PayPal, but you can pay in person, too. On top of that they offered to help people with computer-literacy issues, or who didn't have access to their own computer, complete the application. I don't think we had anybody with that particular need in my class but it was nice they offered to help.

The only gripes I have about the place would be parking, which was really limited near their building so I had to park over a block away; and the range was across the river in Moline. Hopefully they'll get enough business they can build their own range or move to a place with a bigger parking lot, but this is not something that would stop me from recommending them or going to them again.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I took the class with Top Shot Academy. I had completed the NRA basic pistol course but I did the full 16 hours along with my wife. I am happy that I did!

I had fun and learned a lot. The best part is that my wife loved the class and wants to shoot now. (She never fired a pistol before the class) Chip and Tony and the crew do an excellent job at getting the requirements met and relating them to practical situations, Chip is quite passionate about the training and the current political climate as it relates to our 2A rights. Safety,fun,and knowledge were partners through the course.

I did here some rumors about a kilt but I can't prove anything. :ermm:

My wife did wonder on the ride home from the first half of the class if Chip yells at the news like I do :getlost:

Archived