FCCL and FOID Data by County

Hap

Here is a table of active FCCL and FOID cards by county as of early October 2014, courtesy of ISP via FOIA. I've included population estimates from census.gov (I used the 7/1/2013 figures, which are the most recent available, but will substitute the 2014 estimates when those are published) and, for comparison, have merged the county population and FOID statistics from Ol' Coach's 2007 spreadsheet. For reference, here is a link to that thread: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4538 .

Comments, complaints, requests are welcome. In particular, if you notice any data which appear to be incorrect or inconsistent with other data please let me know sooner rather than later.

Current issues: embedded spreadsheet does not freeze first row and column. If I can't come up with a fix I'll provide a direct link to the doc but leave the embedding here for convenience.

Link to web page version of spreadsheet data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FFTYppN0_jR1okW3d7NnoTysBYQvOWSXaLMU-GBGli0/pubhtml

The spreadsheet itself (thanks to mauserme for help with embedding spreadsheets):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=1FFTYppN0_jR1okW3d7NnoTysBYQvOWSXaLMU-GBGli0&output=html

Edited by Hap

Thanks for the info.

Its amazing how there are statewide 179,220 FOID holders and only 76,414 FCCL holders my opinion is cause to get a FOID it only cost $10 and you just have to fill out a little form but getting a FCCL the charges are $150 for ISP app and $100-$300 for training and will be more if you have to buy a gun too so a lot of people who are living paycheck to paycheck would rather use that money to pay bills or put food on the table. Thank the great state of Illinois for making it hard for people to protect themselves and enjoy their rights.

I like how the # of FOIDs has nearly doubled since '07

And everyone with a FOID is eligible to vote.

I didn't include these data in this table, but I've also got FOID #s from March 2013 and January 2014. One thing that stands out is that the Cook County FOID #s have increased fairly significantly since the passage of the FCCA. In early March 2013, Cook had 352,093 FOID cardholders. This had increased to 389,656 by 1/2/2014, and to 424,784 as of 10/2/2014. It's reasonable to suspect that much of the increase in FOID #s is due to interest in concealed carry.

If you look at how many have foid cards and how many has got a FCCL there is around 43% That's not to bad for not even a year

What numbers are you looking? Are you looking at a particular county or the over all? over all 4% of foid holders are carrying. .5% of the state are carrying.

Probably means that, statewide, 4.3% of FOID cardholders have FCCLs.

For comparison, as of early April 2014, 25,401 FCCLs had been issued.

Edited by Hapless

That's interesting considering the original estimates of 300K.

I think that was a realistic projection only if the fee was reasonable, training not requiring a couple days of your life, and the transportation restrictions making many urban dwellers legally overburdened to exercise the privilege. All speculation, but I believe the numbers would be tripled by now at $50 and 4 hrs. And double again if the out of state permits were not effectively banned in practice.

That's interesting considering the original estimates of 300K.

I think that was a realistic projection only if the fee was reasonable, training not requiring a couple days of your life, and the transportation restrictions making many urban dwellers legally overburdened to exercise the privilege. All speculation, but I believe the numbers would be tripled by now at $50 and 4 hrs. And double again if the out of state permits were not effectively banned in practice.

The original estimates may have been a little on the high side, but may also be a good indication of where we're headed. Compare the Illinois data with those from Minnesota, which issued its first Permits to Carry in 2003, had a brief hiatus due to a legal challenge, and started up again in 2005. The population of the state is about 5.4M, vs. Illinois' population of about 12.9M. Total Minnesota permits in effect at year end are as follows:

2003: 15,677

2005: 32,885

2006: 42,189

2007: 51,347

2008: 56,919

2009: 69,313

2010: 79,180

2011: 91,221

2012: 114,793

2013: 161,536

We are just getting started.

Edited by Hapless

After having a closer look at the 2007 data it looks like the FOID counts for White and Whiteside counties are switched. The county population figures for those years are OK. ISP reports FOID data using a 4-character abbreviation for county names and it's easy to get things switched. (Actually it's probably more correct to say that it's difficult to avoid getting something switched.)

The FCCL reports are much improved.

Somebody missed a decimal point. He typed 179,202 FOIDS. That should be 1,792,220 FOIDS state wide. 76,414 FCCL's make it 4.26% of gun owners have FCCLs. About .59% of the general population. About 13.9% of Illinoisians have a FOID card. I wonder what the "eligible" population is? I.E. not prohibited from owning a firearm by Federal law??

How many felons do we have in the state??

Anybody know how many LE we have in the state? I wonder if the number of FCCL holders is greater than the number of LE - I suspect it is.

Highland Park had 57 sworn police officers in 2013, according to the department's annual report, and 121 FCCL holders as of 10/1/2014 (out of about 2000 FOID cardholders).

Cook County had 19,554 FCCL holders as of 10/1/2014. I don't know how many police officers there are in Cook County, but Chicago as around 12,000. The population of Chicago is about 2.7M, and that of Cook County is about 5.2M. Based on these numbers it's reasonable to guess that the number of FCCL holders in Cook County is roughly comparable to the number of LEOs, but whether it's larger or smaller is anybody's guess. In a year the FCCL numbers will be a lot larger. Police staffing will still be constrained by budget, probably moreso than today.

It's certainly reasonable to expect that the number of FCCLs will far exceed the number of LEOs over time. There's no reason to expect Illinois will be different from anywhere else, as much as our politicians try to pretend otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I've added columns for population change 2007-2013, FOID growth 2007-2014, FOID as %population, and FCCL as %FOID. I think the FCCL as %FOID number is actually more useful than looking at FCCL as a percentage of population, since it factors out people who are FOID-ineligible or just plain not interested in gun ownership. I'd like to go further and have columns for FOID-eligible population but it would not be easy to come up with this number (although if anyone has any thoughts on the matter please let me know).

Note that statewide about 4.3% of FOID cardholders have FCCLs and that this percentage does not vary much across counties. In Cook, only 8.1% of the population has FOID cards, but 4.6% of the FOID cardholders have FCCLs.

Excellent. Could you freeze the top two rows so you don't lose the column headings when you scroll down? Freeze is under the View tab.

Done. (Yet another thing that didn't make it in the copy/paste from Excel.)

I've also frozen the first column so the county labels stay put.