Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

Ranger

• 3 weeks later...

What is the current tally of counties in Illinois that have passed such resolutions? Anyone have the most updated map?

Gun Rights Watch has said it's at 57.

Where did you find that information at? I searched their site but couldn't come up with anything, and the Facebook page that came up for them with that only listed 26.

What is the current tally of counties in Illinois that have passed such resolutions? Anyone have the most updated map?

Where did you find that information at? I searched their site but couldn't come up with anything, and the Facebook page that came up for them with that only listed 26.

Sorry about that. I'll be working on redesigning some features of the site this weekend to make it easier to find things.

It's here: http://gunrightswatch.com/news/2018/11/09/illinois/all-eighteen-gun-sanctuary-resolutions-in-illinois-passed/

Sorry about that. I'll be working on redesigning some features of the site this weekend to make it easier to find things.

It's here: http://gunrightswatch.com/news/2018/11/09/illinois/all-eighteen-gun-sanctuary-resolutions-in-illinois-passed/

Excellent! Thank you!

I love that horrendously eye-biting shade of green!

• 3 weeks later...

The unfortunate situation for those of us who live in Chicago, and have to due to both personal and professional necessities, is that it would have to be a lot colder in H ell than it is outside right now for that to EVER happen here. Essentially, the only viable possibility is court action, and I've tried on my own and with volunteering on here to be a plaintiff in a Second Amendment case, but to no avail.

Any suggestions for anything else other than that?

• 3 weeks later...

Under review in Kankakee county

full story at link

What: Committee of county board members to discuss pro-Second Amendment resolution

When: 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28

Where: 189 E. Court St. in Kankakee

Information: Call 815 937-3642

https://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/on-guns-county-may-moderate-rhetoric/article_d10e269a-3166-11e9-a62a-73e51900c613.html

...KANKAKEE — A Kankakee County Board member who wants his colleagues to adopt a pro-Second Amendment resolution says the county should “moderate the rhetoric” compared to other places.

Member Darrel Smith, a Republican from the northwestern part of the county, discussed the issue last week at the monthly meeting of the county board’s criminal justice committee. He noted Effingham County has taken the “most direct, hard line” of any of the more than 50 counties that have adopted the resolution.

He and others are pushing for such a resolution to send a message to Springfield against any legislation they believe violates the Second Amendment, which ensures the right to bear arms.

“We’re not going to roll over and take it,” Smith said. “We’re calling it Second Amendment advocacy.”

Effingham County’s resolution orders employees to not enforce new Illinois laws that would “unconstitutionally restrict the Second Amendment.” Although that can be read as a mandate to that county’s sheriff’s office, the state’s attorney’s office there said it wouldn’t control the decisions of the sheriff’s office.

Smith said the Kankakee County resolution would have no impact on local sheriff’s deputies because it is symbolic.

He said he has read legislative proposals on guns in Springfield that could result in retired law enforcement officers like himself being considered felons. He did not give details on why that was the case...

Added Edwards, Jersey, and Ogle Counties. Morgan County was made green on our map too, but their resolution was passed around 10 years ago. They were asked recently about a resolution and felt they didn't need to because they had already passed one.
http://gunrightswatch.com/news/2019/03/06/illinois/illinois-gun-owner-sanctuary-counties-just-keep-coming/

It seems like at least 62 counties have passed resolutions, with half a dozen or so more likely to do so at least, if I read the updated map correctly. That's out of the 103 counties total, so that's definitely a 3/5 majority of them. The issue is, again, how can this be leveraged to something actually substantive in functioning as a real deterrent to the Constitutionally infringing idiocy that a few handfuls of the more populated counties are trying to dump on to the rest of the state?

If it can't be, isn't this just like the pro-firearm version of virtue-signalling?

It seems like at least 62 counties have passed resolutions, with half a dozen or so more likely to do so at least, if I read the updated map correctly. That's out of the 103 counties total, so that's definitely a 3/5 majority of them. The issue is, again, how can this be leveraged to something actually substantive in functioning as a real deterrent to the Constitutionally infringing idiocy that a few handfuls of the more populated counties are trying to dump on to the rest of the state?

If it can't be, isn't this just like the pro-firearm version of virtue-signalling?

The next step is nullification: enforcement, prosecutorial, and judicial. Once rational facts are presented to state's attorneys and sheriffs we have had good luck securing public pronouncements in opposition to unconstitutional legislation. Effingham County's state's attorney added his public support on Sunday as well:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rural-sheriffs-defy-new-gun-measures-11552230000

The next step is nullification: enforcement, prosecutorial, and judicial. Once rational facts are presented to state's attorneys and sheriffs we have had good luck securing public pronouncements in opposition to unconstitutional legislation. Effingham County's state's attorney added his public support on Sunday as well:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rural-sheriffs-defy-new-gun-measures-11552230000

Yes, but that doesn't really seem like it does ANYTHING to prevent such laws from being passed, or ruled against as invalid by the courts, or really anything substantial as of yet.

ESPECIALLY for firearm owners who are stuck in anti-firearm counties.

The force multiplier is the masses of people voting directly against the unconstitutionality in ballot referenda. Of the 18 counties who put it to a vote in November, 2018, *ALL 18* voted in favor by an average of nearly 80%. What do registered voters also represent? Jury pools. What police, prosecutor, or judge thinks it would be wise to push garbage legislation when over 3/4 of the citizens of their counties (who elect and retain them) would toss bogus charges on their fellow citizens and hold the officials accountable?

We can't change the makeup of the legislature nor resident of the mansion overnight. What we can and must do is continue to drive forward in county by county nullification to thwart highly unconstitutional bills being brought out and enforced. Additionally, since my own state's attorney (Brandon Zanotti/Williamson County) was one of the first to publicly announce it, we have BIPARTISAN support for our efforts. Dozens of others statewide privately support what we are doing. :)

The force multiplier is the masses of people voting directly against the unconstitutionality in ballot referenda. Of the 18 counties who put it to a vote in November, 2018, *ALL 18* voted in favor by an average of nearly 80%. What do registered voters also represent? Jury pools. What police, prosecutor, or judge thinks it would be wise to push garbage legislation when over 3/4 of the citizens of their counties (who elect and retain them) would toss bogus charges on their fellow citizens and hold the officials accountable?

We can't change the makeup of the legislature nor resident of the mansion overnight. What we can and must do is continue to drive forward in county by county nullification to thwart highly unconstitutional bills being brought out and enforced. Additionally, since my own state's attorney (Brandon Zanotti/Williamson County) was one of the first to publicly announce it, we have BIPARTISAN support for our efforts. Dozens of others statewide privately support what we are doing. :)

I'd say that the fact that there is legislation pending in the general assembly to attempt to nullify these efforts show that the sanctuary movement is working! It might be petty, but I love that this is getting under the skin of these rabid gun grabbers.

Archived