Looking for CCL classes for people who don't currently own a gun

Trixie

I currently don't own a gun but have an active FOID card. Are their any CCL classes / courses available for people that don't yet have their own gun yet? I've been through beginner and intermediate classes at one range but they stated that I would need to purchase my own gun first to continue training and for CCL. . I can't purchase a gun through an FFL until after October 22, 2017 (One year after the expiration date on the medical cannabis card that I had to get just to see if medical cannabis would work (no doctor would treat my pain with traditional pain medication because of the "opioid crisis".) but it didn't so I didn't renew my MC CARD. They make you wait an entire year after the expiration date to "try to purchase through an FFL. I could purchase through a private seller (loop hole confirmed by both the ISP and ATF). Would I still be able to get a CCL with a privately purchased gun or does CCL go through a federal background check as well?

Yes there are classes that the instructors allow students to rent the gun(pay for the ammo) and take the class. I don't know if there is one in your area or not.

As far as how you purchased a gun or for that matter what gun you took the class with, ISP and/or the ATF have no idea, nor do they care what gun you use to take the class. The class is to instill the laws in you and to demonstrate the basic principals and skills of safe gun handling. The pistol you take the class with is irrelevant beyond the fact it must be a safe functioning firearm.

As far as the background check for your FCCL, it is a very complete background check that involves the ability for local police departments to object, criminal records check (local, state, national), and health records (mental) check.

Would I still be able to get a CCL with a privately purchased gun or does CCL go through a federal background check as well?

You cannot be denied a CCL in IL for having a MMC.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

If I am a qualifying patient or designated caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act and hold a valid Medical Cannabis Card, are my Firearms Owners Identification Card and Concealed Carry License still valid?
Medical marijuana cardholders will not have their FOID or CCL cards revoked, or be denied issuance of a FOID or CCL card, due to their status as a medical marijuana cardholder. Such cards are State-issued, governed by State law, and State law requires that a person's status as a medical marijuana cardholder not result in the denial of any right or privilege.

Its not a private sale "loop hole", its called the second amendment. And that's exactly the reason why our firearm laws are set up the way they are. Shall not be infringed !!!

Tell the federal government to go pound sand in this instance. They have nothing to do with the law in Illinois.

The state of IL says that you can own and use firearms while you have a medical marijuana card. The state of IL says that you can posses a FOID card and a CCL license when you have a medical marijuana card.

Honestly I cant even believe I'm defending this states laws. Usually its the other way around and IL is the repressive regime barring us from exercising our constitutionally enshrined rights. However in this instance IL has it right.

College of DuPage. They provide the firearm and you use the police academy facilities. Since it's a College campus you couldn't bring your own even if you wanted to.

http://www.cod.edu/hsti/classes/concealed_carry_with_confidence.aspx

You could bring your own if the rules allow, you just can't carry it on campus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Its not a private sale "loop hole", its called the second amendment. And that's exactly the reason why our firearm laws are set up the way they are. Shall not be infringed !!! Tell the federal government to go pound sand in this instance. They have nothing to do with the law in Illinois. The state of IL says that you can own and use firearms while you have a medical marijuana card. The state of IL says that you can posses a FOID card and a CCL license when you have a medical marijuana card. Honestly I cant even believe I'm defending this states laws. Usually its the other way around and IL is the repressive regime barring us from exercising our constitutionally enshrined rights. However in this instance IL has it right.

Does "tell the federal government to go pound sand" mean the same thing as "lie on your 4473"? Just curious. And yes, private transaction is fine, if you find someone selling what you want to buy. But if it is at a gun show or across state lines, we are back to form 4473, question 11.e, valid FOID or CCL not withstanding.

I currently don't own a gun but have an active FOID card. Are their any CCL classes / courses available for people that don't yet have their own gun yet? I've been through beginner and intermediate classes at one range but they stated that I would need to purchase my own gun first to continue training and for CCL. . I can't purchase a gun through an FFL until after October 22, 2017 (One year after the expiration date on the medical cannabis card that I had to get just to see if medical cannabis would work (no doctor would treat my pain with traditional pain medication because of the "opioid crisis".) but it didn't so I didn't renew my MC CARD. They make you wait an entire year after the expiration date to "try to purchase through an FFL. I could purchase through a private seller (loop hole confirmed by both the ISP and ATF). Would I still be able to get a CCL with a privately purchased gun or does CCL go through a federal background check as well?

Did you try Otto or something REAL high in CBD and not THC?

99% of what they sell is high THC which won't help, you must have the CBD.

There's still no guarantee it will help, but the normal stuff just makes you wasted and hungry.

I have what I now call my CCL loaner, I've loaned it out at least 5 times to people getting their carry license it's a Ruger MK if you can't pass with that don't even buy a gun at all your to dangerous to society ;)

Its not a private sale "loop hole", its called the second amendment. And that's exactly the reason why our firearm laws are set up the way they are. Shall not be infringed !!! Tell the federal government to go pound sand in this instance. They have nothing to do with the law in Illinois. The state of IL says that you can own and use firearms while you have a medical marijuana card. The state of IL says that you can posses a FOID card and a CCL license when you have a medical marijuana card. Honestly I cant even believe I'm defending this states laws. Usually its the other way around and IL is the repressive regime barring us from exercising our constitutionally enshrined rights. However in this instance IL has it right.

Does "tell the federal government to go pound sand" mean the same thing as "lie on your 4473"? Just curious. And yes, private transaction is fine, if you find someone selling what you want to buy. But if it is at a gun show or across state lines, we are back to form 4473, question 11.e, valid FOID or CCL not withstanding.

I never told anyone to lie on a 4473. And you can't anyways because if you have a medical license its in a system and that information can be found out.

That would be extremely stupid. Only people that use alcohol or smoke cannabis legally in recreational states are allowed to lie on 4473s.

You would be surprised what you find for sale privately though. Maybe somebody you know buys the exact firearm you want and then after a while decides they don't like it and sells it to you.

I never told anyone to lie on a 4473. And you can't anyways because if you have a medical license its in a system and that information can be found out.

That would be extremely stupid. Only people that use alcohol or smoke cannabis legally in recreational states are allowed to lie on 4473s.

You would be surprised what you find for sale privately though. Maybe somebody you know buys the exact firearm you want and then after a while decides they don't like it and sells it to you.

Be careful you don't fall into a situation where it could be considered a "straw purchase."

Advocating illegal activity is also against the Code of Conduct at IllinoisCarry.

Be careful you don't fall into a situation where it could be considered a "straw purchase."

Advocating illegal activity is also against the Code of Conduct at IllinoisCarry.

And again...I'm not advocating or even implying anyone break the law. You guys clearly just have vivid imaginations. Stop assuming I have nefarious purposes or are trying to get people to break the law because I'm not. Everything I'm advocating is 100% legal.

Buying firearms off your friends that they bought for themselves is not a straw purchase. I buy guns off my friends all the time. You would be surprised how often people buy the exact gun you want and then end up not liking it and sell it or trade it off for a good price.

You don't need to own a gun to get your CCL. Many of my students rent the gun from the range where we do the training. Many have used my 22LR for the qualification. Talk to your instructor and they should be able to help you. If not, find a new instructor.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in Lake County. I'd rather not say the name of the range that I was going to in Crystal Lake but I was told that because of the denial letter to purchase a gun (because of having an active medical cannabis card at the time of the attempted gun purchase) that they could no longer even rent a gun to me.

The gun I was trying to buy was the Glock 19 gen 4. I had only tried about 6 guns at that point and that was the one that I liked best. It might be a little large for a conceal although the first instructor said that it is used as a conceal. I would like to try a few more guns but figured if one range wouldn't rent to me even with an active FOID card that others might not either.

What general area are you located? Almost all classes I looked at had "loaners" available for class qualification in various calibers/models and in some cases, even provided the ammo with class fees. Alternatively, if you are at a range with rentals, that may provde another option.

Lake county....northern suburbs

And again...I'm not advocating or even implying anyone break the law. You guys clearly just have vivid imaginations. Stop assuming I have nefarious purposes or are trying to get people to break the law because I'm not. Everything I'm advocating is 100% legal.

Buying firearms off your friends that they bought for themselves is not a straw purchase. I buy guns off my friends all the time. You would be surprised how often people buy the exact gun you want and then end up not liking it and sell it or trade it off for a good price.

I had an acquaintance willing to sell me his used Glock 19 gen 4 for the price of him buying himself a NEW Glock 19 gen 4. Yeah, no thanks.

You don't need to own a gun to get your CCL. Many of my students rent the gun from the range where we do the training. Many have used my 22LR for the qualification. Talk to your instructor and they should be able to help you. If not, find a new instructor.

What area do you teach in?

Did you try Otto or something REAL high in CBD and not THC?

99% of what they sell is high THC which won't help, you must have the CBD.

There's still no guarantee it will help, but the normal stuff just makes you wasted and hungry.

I have what I now call my CCL loaner, I've loaned it out at least 5 times to people getting their carry license it's a Ruger MK if you can't pass with that don't even buy a gun at all your to dangerous to society ;)

Yes, tried the high CBD....dry, edible, oil. Nothing helped and I didn't like the smell or taste of it.

Its not a private sale "loop hole", its called the second amendment. And that's exactly the reason why our firearm laws are set up the way they are. Shall not be infringed !!!

Tell the federal government to go pound sand in this instance. They have nothing to do with the law in Illinois.

The state of IL says that you can own and use firearms while you have a medical marijuana card. The state of IL says that you can posses a FOID card and a CCL license when you have a medical marijuana card.

Honestly I cant even believe I'm defending this states laws. Usually its the other way around and IL is the repressive regime barring us from exercising our constitutionally enshrined rights. However in this instance IL has it right.

You can own what you currently have but they will deny purchase of new ones if you go through an FFL WHILE HAVING AN ACTICE MC card regardless of whether you are using any product or not. They will deny new purchases up to one year after the expiration date on the MC card

You can own what you currently have but they will deny purchase of new ones if you go through an FFL WHILE HAVING AN ACTICE MC card regardless of whether you are using any product or not. They will deny new purchases up to one year after the expiration date on the MC card

Yes I understand that. So you will not be able to purchase a gun from an FFL and you will have to go the private sale route if you want one now. Your friend that wanted to sell you his Glock 19 for the price of a new one sounds like the person you should be talking too. Again there's nothing illegal about that transaction between the two of you at all. He clearly purchased the gun for himself long before you asked about it. Its not a straw purchase or illegal for him to sell you that firearm. As you both have a valid FOID card and follow all IL laws regarding the transfer you're fine.

What amount hes asks for and what he does with that money after you pay him for it is his business. There's nothing illegal about him using that money from the sale of his firearm to go buy another firearm with it, even if it's the exact same one. Don't let some of these nanny state loving clowns scare you from engaging in perfectly legal activities and thus make things harder on yourself than they need to be.

Congrats on taking the steps to get your CCL and welcome to the wonderful word of firearm ownership. Enjoy.

Would I still be able to get a CCL with a privately purchased gun or does CCL go through a federal background check as well?

You cannot be denied a CCL in IL for having a MMC.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

If I am a qualifying patient or designated caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act and hold a valid Medical Cannabis Card, are my Firearms Owners Identification Card and Concealed Carry License still valid?
Medical marijuana cardholders will not have their FOID or CCL cards revoked, or be denied issuance of a FOID or CCL card, due to their status as a medical marijuana cardholder. Such cards are State-issued, governed by State law, and State law requires that a person's status as a medical marijuana cardholder not result in the denial of any right or privilege.

You just can't buy a gun anymore under Federal Law

Archived