Chicago Tribune prints absurd column, again

vito

Its not unusual for the Chicago Tribune to be publishing articles and columns that are blatantly anti-gun, anti-2nd Amendment, and sometimes they make an argument for their position that is not totally emotional in nature, even if still false. But today I was really taken aback by the column titled "I'm Glad I wasn't armed when a second grader pointed a gun at me". The writer, a schoolteacher, forms her entire view of the subject of arming teachers and classroom safety based upon a single alleged incident in which a child who does not want to listen to her instructions points a gun at her and threatens to shoot her. She goes on to describe how she calmly took the gun away from the child and that it was unloaded, but how had she been armed or another teacher been armed it might have ended with the child being shot, and thus it "proves" that teachers should not be armed! Its incredible to me that the newspaper, supposedly run by at least halfway intelligent adults, could have published this drivel. I have no doubt that if I wrote a column and submitted it for their publishing, about being confronted by a band of thugs who threatened to kill me, and that because I had a Thompson machine gun with me I was able to kill all of the 20 thugs involved, and that this incident PROVES that we should be allowed, nay, encouraged, to carry a machine gun, it obviously would not be published.

The alleged incident described in the column could well have been quite different, with the gun loaded and the child shooting several other children while the unarmed teacher stood there petrified and frozen with fear and unable to stop a SECOND GRADER from slaughtering his fellow students. Had that happened, and another teacher nearby entered the classroom and stopped the carnage with an illegally carried handgun, I doubt that the Tribune would believe that this justified allowing all teachers to carry a concealed firearm.

I would love to ask the author of this column, and those at the Tribune that thought it worthy of putting into the newspaper, how this teacher's tactic of calmly approaching the child with the gun and attempting to take the gun from him would have worked with Nicholas Cruz in Parkland, FL a few weeks ago. Maybe she actually thinks that if someone had just told him not to shoot anyone and to hand over his rifle, all would have ended well. Of course we all know that this is not the case, and what would have happened is that this teacher would just be another casualty of this mass shooting while the shooter was unopposed by anyone with the means of stopping him.

I should know better, and not be surprised by this garbage in the Chicago Tribune, but it did get my blood boiling anyway.

The Chicago Tribune used to at least pretend to present both sides of an issue - not any more.

A few years ago Bruce Dold took over as Publisher and Editor-In-Chief and the paper took a hard left turn.

They started losing print subscribers (no surprise there) and had to reduce staff.

The staff they got rid of was mostly the actual journalists that tried to be evenhanded.

Dold made a point of promoting and giving more ink to the far left progressives.

They had to reduce even more staff just last week. They don’t learn.

The Tribune is a shell of what it once was.

Mr. Dold might enjoy hearing some feedback: Bdold@chicagotribune.com.

I read the Tribune online. I have no idea how to create a link to a specific article or column, and if I copy the link to the online edition, non subscribers cannot open the link. If anyone can tell me how to create such a link I will do so in the future. Thanks to Lou for the link to the same article.

The Chicago Tribune used to at least pretend to present both sides of an issue - not any more.

A few years ago Bruce Dold took over as Publisher and Editor-In-Chief and the paper took a hard left turn.

They started losing print subscribers (no surprise there) and had to reduce staff.

The staff they got rid of was mostly the actual journalists that tried to be evenhanded.

Dold made a point of promoting and giving more ink to the far left progressives.

They had to reduce even more staff just last week. They don’t learn.

The Tribune is a shell of what it once was.

Mr. Dold might enjoy hearing some feedback: Bdold@chicagotribune.com.

Why thank you. I sent a short little note on my opinion of his stewardship in general, and that particular piece specifically.

I read the Tribune online. I have no idea how to create a link to a specific article or column, and if I copy the link to the online edition, non subscribers cannot open the link. If anyone can tell me how to create such a link I will do so in the future. Thanks to Lou for the link to the same article.

Non subscribers can usually read by opening browser in private or incognito mode or clearing trib cookies.

It's in the opinion commentary section

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-teachers-gun-trump-police-officers-0316-story.html

I would like to see proof / provenance of the incident, since the anti's are generally "the ends justify the means" type of people.

Plus - knowing that either someone in the school is armed, perhaps even YOUR teacher, could change the decision "dynamic" of even a second grader.

Too bad the unarmed teachers that were murdered "protecting" their kids can't relate THEIR experience.

As I grew up I spent time in Chicago Public Schools (in the 60's and 70's), and there were RUMORS some of the teachers were packing - including some rather attractive women teachers (hey - it was the 60's!!! Mini-skirts were all over. It served to put a damper upon the "toughs" in the classes. "Don't cross the line with Miss ####, she'll SHOOT yer @## !!! " .

Didn't scare me, even as a kid, it more reassured me....

Of course I'm DIFFERENT.... Had an interesting experience - AFTER one of the Chuck's guns counter protests, things were long wound down and only a very very few were yakking and shopping, i.e. hadn't left yet, and I was in the middle of the customer area, surrounded by guns in cases, rifles on the wall, in a gun store, behind a locked buzzer door, and I had NEVER felt SO COMFORTABLE, and "at home", relaxed in my entire life. Not even when I was actually AT home.

Actually, if the story is true, I too am glad the Teacher in question isn't armed. Why? Because, in her mind just having a gun, and being trained in it's proper use in a defensive situation, would make her use it for every altercation, of any level, she is ever in. And, since SHE needs the Government to protect her from herself, and her own inability to have any agency and control, NATURALLY, she projects that everyone is the same, over-emotional, non impulse-controlled moron as her. Hmm, given that kind of psyche, perhaps she shouldn't be teaching anyone, let alone children, at all.

... Because, in her mind just having a gun, and being trained in it's proper use in a defensive situation, would make her use it for every altercation, of any level, she is ever in....

Projection: "I cannot be trusted with a gun, therefore you cannot be trusted with a gun."

Raging Against Self Defense:

A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

When I read the article, it reminded me of another WAPO article about how arming teachers was going to be bad for black and Hispanic students because teachers are going to assume they are the shooters/criminals. Totally stupid. Wanted to puke when I read that.

Also like I have read in opinions pieces about how arming teachers is going to be dangerous for students because a teacher may get mad at them for not listening or following the rules and threaten them with their gun. Again, totally stupid. I think I did puke when I read those.

Obviously, these are rabidly against the "gun culture" and are using their own character flaws as a basis to judge how other people (those who have undergone the psychological and ethical choice to arm themselves as means of self-defense) would react in that situation.

I can come up with real and imagined scenarios why certain people in certain instances should not have a hammer or a circular saw. That probably doesn't persuade you that no one should have those items or that they're not useful in other circumstances.

We know kids are being killed in schools. Statistically, children are safer in American schools than just about any other place they can be. They're safer than at a baseball game, in their own home, in their own parents' car. However, if we want the number of kids being killed in schools to be zero...we have to do more than just put "no guns" signs on school doors. Banning certain guns won't work...and then we will have to ban even more guns...which won't work either.

I have two possible solutions.

1) Allow teachers who have a CCL and desire to carry guns in schools to do so. Also, any CCL holders who visit schools should be allowed to carry. Concealed means concealed. No one...even administrators...should know which teachers might be carrying.

2) Deputize citizen volunteers to perform guard duty. Allow them to open carry. I recommend rifles. Have one volunteer posted at every door. Give them police radios. I'd be more than willing to take a week off from work to do the job at my kid's school.

3) Have armed police with AR-15s posted on a rotation at different schools. No one will know what school he's at on any particular day.

I can come up with real and imagined scenarios why certain people in certain instances should not have a hammer or a circular saw. That probably doesn't persuade you that no one should have those items or that they're not useful in other circumstances.

We know kids are being killed in schools. Statistically, children are safer in American schools than just about any other place they can be. They're safer than at a baseball game, in their own home, in their own parents' car. However, if we want the number of kids being killed in schools to be zero...we have to do more than just put "no guns" signs on school doors. Banning certain guns won't work...and then we will have to ban even more guns...which won't work either.

1) Allow teachers who have a CCL and desire to carry guns in schools to do so. Also, any CCL holders who visit schools should be allowed to carry. Concealed means concealed. No one...even administrators...should know which teachers might be carrying.

2) Deputize citizen volunteers to perform guard duty. Allow them to open carry. I recommend rifles. Have one volunteer posted at every door. Give them police radios. I'd be more than willing to take a week off from work to do the job at my kid's school.

3) Have armed police with AR-15s posted on a rotation at different schools. No one will know what school he's at on any particular day.

I couldn't agree more. Ampa! Protek me!

... Because, in her mind just having a gun, and being trained in it's proper use in a defensive situation, would make her use it for every altercation, of any level, she is ever in....

Projection: "I cannot be trusted with a gun, therefore you cannot be trusted with a gun."

Raging Against Self Defense:

A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

The Trib should print this article.

I couldn't agree more. Ampa! Protek me!

Thanks. If this is a state of emergency, we should treat it as such. You could deputize CCL holders on a temporary basis right now. Zero waiting time. You already know they've had background checks and training in the appropriate use of deadly force. If you deputize them, they can carry on school campuses and in schools. They'd become law enforcement officers. If a CCL holder owns a rifle, let them carry that. Lend them body armor if they want it.

Another option is to call up national guard to protect schools.

Archived