States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

And if I were a legislator in another state, I'd be fighting for my constituents rights, first and foremost and against states that deny the rights of my citizens.

I don't think you understand the concept of "rights", if you think your constituents should have some privilege that others do not.

Huh? I said I'd want my constituents to have the SAME rights when they visit Illinois that Illinois citizens have when they visit my state. No more, no less. It's an unknown concept to Illinoisans, but some legislators in other states actually treat their constituents as citizens and not subjects and they fight for their people.

It's hard for others to understand, but some legislators treat all people like people and don't play tit for tat with their rights

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly interested in any response. My understanding is that TX only likes to do it on a reciprocal basis, altho that is not law.

This is what Texas law is. Illinois would fall under the "or" provision.

411.173 Nonresident License.

(b

The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that provides for the issuance of a license

to carry a concealed handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or

shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state

if the attorney general of the State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued by

that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license

is issued. For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search of the National Crime

Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of

Investigation

I'm certainly interested in any response. My understanding is that TX only likes to do it on a reciprocal basis, altho that is not law.

This is what Texas law is. Illinois would fall under the "or" provision.

411.173 Nonresident License.

(b

The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that provides for the issuance of a license

to carry a concealed handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or

shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state

if the attorney general of the State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued by

that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license

is issued. For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search of the National Crime

Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of

Investigation

Right, they have a bunch of recognition states by proclamation, including many of the new england states as well as Oregon that don't have reciprocity/recognition like IL.

For as much media attention as there was in IL on concealed carry, it was blacked out in the nationwide media and there were and remain many around the country who are ignorant as to Illinois having carry.

I recently sent an email to Washington state, as their reciprocity page still said that there was no concealed carry in Illinois for residents or non-residents. I see they've changed the page in the last few days.

If you want another one to call Molly, try Virginia. They have a handful of states listed for one-way recognition but best anyone could tell me they've never analyzed Illinois toward that end. AFAIK that would be the last of the possibilities for one-way recognition states unless there's a law change somewhere. New Mexico could in theory but in practice they only do formal reciprocity.

I spoke with the Texas Attorney General's office again today and they asked me to submit a formal inquiry and request to recognize Illinois CCL, which I did. Now we wait for a response.

Texas law requires them to do that... why do they need a formal request for them to obey their own law?

The law gives no specific time frame in which to do it. Their first priority is to govern and administer in their own state. The formal request gets their attention. While we are concerned about the rights of those in all the states most of us are not actively petitioning the governments of California, New York, etc. concerning the rights of their citizens. Our priority is Illinois; in Texas it is Texas.

I spoke with the Texas Attorney General's office again today and they asked me to submit a formal inquiry and request to recognize Illinois CCL, which I did. Now we wait for a response.

Texas law requires them to do that... why do they need a formal request for them to obey their own law?

The law gives no specific time frame in which to do it. Their first priority is to govern and administer in their own state. The formal request gets their attention. While we are concerned about the rights of those in all the states most of us are not actively petitioning the governments of California, New York, etc. concerning the rights of their citizens. Our priority is Illinois; in Texas it is Texas.

When I read through the Texas statutes I think it required an annual review by the Attorney General's office.

"When I read through the Texas statutes I think it required an annual review by the Attorney General's office".

It looks like you are correct. I was going by the provisions posted in post 217. This is the rest of the section.

"(c ) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall annually:

(1) submit a report to the governor, lieutenant governor, and speaker of the house of representatives listing the states the attorney general has determined qualify for recognition under Subsection (b ); and

(2) review the statutes of states that the attorney general has determined do not qualify for recognition under Subsection (b ) to determine the changes to their statutes that are necessary to qualify for recognition under that subsection.

(d ) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall submit the report required by Subsection (c )(1) not later than January 1 of each calendar year".

- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/GV/4/B/411/H/411.173#sthash.qJhcYk0a.dpuf

How much pressure a non-Texan can exert on their state government is another question. A larger body e.g. a state or national organization would probably get more notice. I do not want to get too negative on Texas here. There may be additional applicable laws of which we are unaware. It could just be a matter of simple oversight and Molly's reminder may be all that was needed. They did move rather quickly who Ohio changed its laws. That was state government to state government rather than a single nonresident.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"When I read through the Texas statutes I think it required an annual review by the Attorney General's office".

It looks like you are correct. I was going by the provisions posted in post 217. This is the rest of the section.

(1) submit a report to the governor, lieutenant governor, and speaker of the house of representatives listing the states the attorney general has determined qualify for recognition under Subsection (b ); and

(2) review the statutes of states that the attorney general has determined do not qualify for recognition under Subsection (b ) to determine the changes to their statutes that are necessary to qualify for recognition under that subsection.

(d ) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall submit the report required by Subsection (c )(1) not later than January 1 of each calendar year".

- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/GV/4/B/411/H/411.173#sthash.qJhcYk0a.dpuf

How much pressure a non-Texan can exert on their state government is another question. A larger body e.g. a state or national organization would probably get more notice. I do not want to get too negative on Texas here. There may be additional applicable laws of which we are unaware. It could just be a matter of simple oversight and Molly's reminder may be all that was needed. They did move rather quickly who Ohio changed its laws. That was state government to state government rather than a single nonresident.

Any new information on Texas, we are doing a hog hunt in Feb 2016 and looks like our travels to Texas are covered on carrying, but not Texas, would be nice to travel all the way to San Antonio and back with some protection, in and out of the car.

Any new information on Texas, we are doing a hog hunt in Feb 2016 and looks like our travels to Texas are covered on carrying, but not Texas, would be nice to travel all the way to San Antonio and back with some protection, in and out of the car.

Texas honors Arizona license. Your IL training will get you the AZ license. Finger prints and $15.

Texas honors permits from several different states.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

This is from the Texas Department of Public Safety site.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/index.htm

Texas honors Arizona license. Your IL training will get you the AZ license. Finger prints and $15.

A good option. (One of many). Texas honors 43 permits. Plenty of non-res choices :)

Way to go Molly thank you for all you do and the leg work to..

Prompted the Texas Att. General's office again this morning. Waiting to hear back.

sirflyguy it looks like if that were to happen they would have to change their laws since both have laws that are all inclusive for CCL holders with Missouri being MUCH more open even if you don't have a CCL.

Kentucky

"A person who is not a resident of Kentucky and who has a valid license issued by another state of the United States to carry a concealed deadly weapon in that state may, subject to provisions of Kentucky law, carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky, and his or her license shall be considered as valid in Kentucky."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=43452

Section 20a

Missouri

" Missouri's carrying concealed law recognizes all out-state-permits, including those from out-of-state political subdivisions. Also keep in mind that Missouri's peaceable journey law applies to travelers, including those who do not have a permit."

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Edited by spec5

Prompted the Texas Att. General's office again this morning. Waiting to hear back.

Thank you!

-Keith.

I second that Molly! Also thanks to you folks again for helping me get the State of IL to reinstate my permit a month or so back.

I also requested an AZ out of state application just in case.

Edited by ASRM

MollyB, have you heard anything about MO and another nearby state (can't remember which one, maybe KY) that is considering rescinding its recognition of the IL FCCL? I heard this rumor from only one source, so I do not want to be unduly alarmed.

I have seen silly rumors like this several times being passed around on social media, both Missouri and Kentucky. Both states are "recognize all permits" by statute, they do not specifically recognize the Illinois license. Some states (such as I believe Indiana) make specific mention of not recognizing the Illinois FOID as a carry license this is sometimes misinterpreted as the state "no longer recognizing Illinois carry licenses".

There are some IL residents who seem to perpetuate rumors like that as a sort of defense mechanism, to provide excuses for why they don't get an IL carry license.

ASRM, if by chance you'd happen to be traveling to or through Pennsylvania prior to your Texas trip, the PA licenses are easy and inexpensive and are recognized in Texas as well.

Edited by Gamma

I have seen silly rumors like this several times being passed around on social media, both Missouri and Kentucky. Both states are "recognize all permits" by statute, they do not specifically recognize the Illinois license. Some states (such as I believe Indiana) make specific mention of not recognizing the Illinois FOID as a carry license this is sometimes misinterpreted as the state "no longer recognizing Illinois carry licenses".

There are some IL residents who seem to perpetuate rumors like that as a sort of defense mechanism, to provide excuses for why they don't get an IL carry license.

Correct. MO & KY recognize all states by statute. The only way they would stop recognizing the Illinois FCCL is if they passed a new reciprocity law that was very restrictive and overwrote their existent one. Very unlikely.

With your Illinois permit, you can legally carry in 26 states (including carrying permitless in ME, since ME doesn't recognize IL) I very much doubt this will number will go down. But it probably won't go up by more than 1 or 2, unless other states switch to "permitless carry" or to "recognize all state permits". Most of the rest of the states only recognize those states who recognize them.

sirflyguy it looks like if that were to happen they would have to change their laws since both have laws that are all inclusive for CCL holders with Missouri being MUCH more open even if you don't have a CCL.

Kentucky

"A person who is not a resident of Kentucky and who has a valid license issued by another state of the United States to carry a concealed deadly weapon in that state may, subject to provisions of Kentucky law, carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky, and his or her license shall be considered as valid in Kentucky."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=43452

Section 20a

Missouri

" Missouri's carrying concealed law recognizes all out-state-permits, including those from out-of-state political subdivisions. Also keep in mind that Missouri's peaceable journey law applies to travelers, including those who do not have a permit."

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

I figured as such. Thanks for the info.