Call to Action: Support SB553 SFA 1

mauserme

Done, but only because it's technically a favorable change to the FCCA for our side, and those are rare.

Personally, though, I disagree with supporting something that gives rights to military non-residents while ignoring other non-residents.

But these military are actually here in Illinois, unlike non-residents who are not.

Done

Done, but I am a bit confused by the line in red:

In lieu of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the applicant shall submit documentation and information required by the Department to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, including an affidavit that the non-resident meets the mental health standards to obtain a firearm under Illinois law, and the Department shall ensure that the applicant would meet the eligibility criteria to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification card if he or she was a resident of this State.

Who is to sign this affidavit? Will it require a psych visit? Will a military doctor be required to sign off? I suspect many military commands may not allow their physicians to sign off on this.

Our military members will not be applying for a non-resident license under that section.

Who is to sign this affidavit? Will it require a psych visit? Will a military doctor be required to sign off? I suspect many military commands may not allow their physicians to sign off on this.

The affidavit requirement applies only to applicants from states approved in the preceding section of the statute (i.e., the substantially similar states). Military members stationed in Illinois on permanent change-of-station orders qualify for a FOID card, so there is no need for a signed affidavit.

Nonresident applicants from substantially similar states sign the affidavit themselves--it isn't validated by physician or mental health provider.

And why limit it to military who are stationed in the state? Just perpetuating the discrimination that we need to be fixing.

The ISP can track mental health reporting, criminal behavior, etc. for military members stationed in Illinois to the same degree as others who reside here. This bill brings the FCCA in line with the FOID Act and Federal law that considers military members to be residents of the state in which they are stationed for the purposes of conducting firearm transfers.

But of course I wholeheartedly agree military members not stationed here, and all other nonresidents, should be able to carry here, too. Unfortunately we won't get anywhere without a favorable court ruling.

Yeah, we were told that about LEOSA too.

Special perks for some are not a gateway to solving a general problem, they are an impediment.

I've always viewed bearing arms as a right, not a perk. Regardless, this bill is much more about "where you live" and less about "who you are."

Done, but only because it's technically a favorable change to the FCCA for our side, and those are rare.

Personally, though, I disagree with supporting something that gives rights to military non-residents while ignoring other non-residents.

One reason might be, non-resident military are normally here by no choice of their own. It's likely other non-residents do have a choice.

I can see your point, but I look at this as the first step in getting rid of that silly part of the law that prevents residents of all but 5 other states from applying for one of our licenses.

Yeah, we were told that about LEOSA too.

Special perks for some are not a gateway to solving a general problem, they are an impediment.

A special perk for someone who lives here? Do the other non-residents LIVE here? We win these things in steps, we fight on the legislative and judicial front. The court challenge continues on.

Archived