Chicago Self Defense Guidance

P_Bacon

My family is planning a trip to Chicago for a few days and we will be in the down town area some of the trip like around Navy Pier and I am trying to get a feel for what I can carry as a self defense measure.

If I understand correctly a small container of pepper spray would be legal since I have no intent to maliciously use it. There may be a issue with concealing it but if it became a issue the repercussions would be manageable.

Can I carry a folding knife in Chicago?

What about a collapsible baton? I see a lot of conflicting info on this and wonder if I am mixing up state vs city ordinances.

I thought about carrying a walking stick like a cane but being young and having no limp that would probably end up being considered a weapon if it came to a legal issue.

I have a Indiana Resident permit, I know IL does not recognize my permit but are there ways to carry a pistol in a car in Chicago like taking the ammo out and locking the gun in the glove box? So while in IL not carry it on me but have it locked somewhere in the car.

Do any of the destinations like the Navy Pier or The Field Museum have metal detectors or anything like that? I would hate to have to throw away some pepper spray or a folding knife before going into an establishment like that.

I believe you are fine with pepper spray, so long as you don't misuse it.

Folding knives are fine, but not switchblades. Also, Chicago has an ordinance regarding the length of the blade.

If you have in Indiana resident carry license, you can carry your pistol ready to use with you in your car. When you exit your car, the pistol must either stay in the car or be unloaded and enclosed in a case before removing.

I know of no issues with walking sticks, and so long as you either use it only for a walking stick or in self-defense.

Navy Pier is an open fair, so no metal detectors except for possibly at some of the attractions. But I would strongly advise against bringing anything there that is forbidden by ordinance. Field Museum may or may not have metal detectors, but same applies.

Hope that helps.

My family is planning a trip to Chicago for a few days and we will be in the down town area some of the trip like around Navy Pier and I am trying to get a feel for what I can carry as a self defense measure.

If I understand correctly a small container of pepper spray would be legal since I have no intent to maliciously use it. There may be a issue with concealing it but if it became a issue the repercussions would be manageable.

What about a collapsible baton? I see a lot of conflicting info on this and wonder if I am mixing up state vs city ordinances.

I thought about carrying a walking stick like a cane but being young and having no limp that would probably end up being considered a weapon if it came to a legal issue.

I have a Indiana Resident permit, I know IL does not recognize my permit but are there ways to carry a pistol in a car in Chicago like taking the ammo out and locking the gun in the glove box? So while in IL not carry it on me but have it locked somewhere in the car.

Do any of the destinations like the Navy Pier or The Field Museum have metal detectors or anything like that? I would hate to have to throw away some pepper spray or a folding knife before going into an establishment like that.

Thanks for the info. We will probably take the L into downtown and wont have a option to keep something in the car if needed so I am thinking about just taking a small pepper spray device. Worse case any idea if that would be forbidden at one of these locations or what happens if you pull it out to go through a metal detector?

Another location is the Sky Deck and from what I read they do have a metal detector. I guess I could find a place to hide it until done for a relatively cheap pepper spray container.

It pisses me off they make it so hard to protect your family on a vacation.

Downtown there's a much greater risk of your car's grill be assaulted by a pedestrian walking out in front your vehicle. I can't believe the risks Chicagoans take in this day where people text and drive all the time. But they're very friendly as long as you're not wearing a Trump t-shirt.

If you're taking the L downtown you should be fine. I have fond memories of taking the Amtrak downtown for the SAFR rallies IllinoisCarry used to organize. Goodtimes!

Folding knives are fine, but not switchblades. Also, Chicago has an ordinance regarding the length of the blade.

If I recall correctly, Chicago has a ban on any knives with a blade length of greater than 2.5". I don't have the ordinance but here's some guidance from kniferights.com

http://us.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282

Here's a thread discussing carrying a baton: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25275

Regardless of the state or city laws, an occupancy can require you to remove any items on a banned list. So, if they say no knives, regardless of whether or not the knife is compliant with city or state law they may still prevent your entry while carrying it.

I have a Cold Steel City Stick that I have added a sharpened pointed brass ferrule to (for rough terrain) and a quick-removal rubber walking tip. I don't walk with a limp, but rather I have nerve damage in one leg that causes it to buckle unexpectedly sometimes, so the Department of Veterans Affairs doctors recommended that I use a "walking aid." This is what I carried before I got my CCL and I still use it presently, if I am not using a modified version of a tactical/hiking hammer as a cane (the doctors don't want me to use that so much, because I lean on it like a crutch sometimes).

I have been able to take my City Stick into any building, including courthouses, airports (including on airplanes), police stations, Federal buildings, et cetera, without any problem whatsoever. I also taught non-firearm and unarmed combat to tactical security and military contractors, and I will say that the City Stick with the sharpened tip is the most effective hand-to-hand weapon, including over a knife, that one can carry. Previously, I used it in multiple self-protection situations, against knife and even firearm-armed attackers, as well as multiple attackers, to great effect. It is extremely fast, nearly unbreakable, and delivers both a disabling wallop or a potent stab. It's essentially a combination of a mace and a spear that you have literally at the ready at any moment.

That would be my recommendation for the most effective "in hand" self-protection tool.

Archived