Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Was thinking of maybe trying Target Sports out for my next purchase (after browsing their site I almost wonder how much of a markup most brick-and-mortar stores are using). They asked for my FOID when I created my account (which I uploaded), do they only need the front side of the permit/do they need your DL as well or anything else? Also, do you need to be physically home when they deliver or can it be held somewhere if you're not home (like a secure access locker or FedEx/UPS store/pickup location)?

I believe they just need the FOID front and back. If they want anything else they will ask.

Technically FedEx and UPS stores aren't supposed to hold ammo or similar, but I've done it a few times and not heard any complaint from FedEx or UPS about it. If you're not home they may leave a notice asking you to go get it from the distribution center or request redelivery.

Thanks, this was helpful. Do they usually contact you to schedule a delivery time then? Also, are there any restrictions wrt Chicago ordinances as to what types of ammo you can order (I've heard places such as MidwayUSA are finicky about this)?

Was thinking of maybe trying Target Sports out for my next purchase (after browsing their site I almost wonder how much of a markup most brick-and-mortar stores are using). They asked for my FOID when I created my account (which I uploaded), do they only need the front side of the permit/do they need your DL as well or anything else? Also, do you need to be physically home when they deliver or can it be held somewhere if you're not home (like a secure access locker or FedEx/UPS store/pickup location)?

I believe they just need the FOID front and back. If they want anything else they will ask.

Technically FedEx and UPS stores aren't supposed to hold ammo or similar, but I've done it a few times and not heard any complaint from FedEx or UPS about it. If you're not home they may leave a notice asking you to go get it from the distribution center or request redelivery.

Thanks, this was helpful. Do they usually contact you to schedule a delivery time then? Also, are there any restrictions wrt Chicago ordinances as to what types of ammo you can order (I've heard places such as MidwayUSA are finicky about this)?

You can sign up for an online account with both and get delivery updates.

The only ammo you can't have shipped to you from the best of my knowledge is 50 BMG and armor piercing. AP is banned outright.

• 2 months later...

You can sign up for an online account with both and get delivery updates.

The only ammo you can't have shipped to you from the best of my knowledge is 50 BMG and armor piercing. AP is banned outright.

Makes sense, thanks. From what I've read earlier on in this thread it seems standard defensive carry ammo is ok though? Also, any idea how they'd ask you for the signature if you live in an apartment (as opposed to a house where they can just walk up and ring your doorbell for delivery)?

There is a signature required or not option in the shipping section of the checkout.they leave it on my porch at home,I chose the no signature option,though my wife is home and looking for it.in a apartment I imagine they would ring your bell if you want to sign,if not probably leave it in your vestibule.I am a target prime ammo member and not only do you get a discount on all ammo you order,you also get unlimited free shipping.I like that,if I see a box that I want to buy,I feel comforted that the cost of shipping does not exceed the cost of ammo.I normally receive my order in 4-5 business days.

• 3 months later...

I just placed an order online for some Garand ammo from this PA outfit. I triple checked with them and they said OK with my Chicago address and e-mailing them a copy of my FOID.

I will report back when/if the ammo arrives so they can be added to the list one way or the other.

https://www.chestnutridge.com/products/ammo.asp

Ammo arrived safe and sound to my Chicago address. Please add Chestnut Ridge to the database of vendors that WILL ship to Chicago.

Thanks for the new add. I'll note they shipped rifle ammo. Most of the difficulty has been around handgun ammo, but no reason people can't try them anyway.

Ammo arrived safe and sound to my Chicago address. Please add Chestnut Ridge to the database of vendors that WILL ship to Chicago.

Awww yeah, they gots .25 ACP! Gonna feed my Phoenix Arms Raven .25 goooot now! Ring of fire, baybee! Ring of fiiiii-yaaaah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A note to add about Buds:

Yes, they ship to your door, even if you live in Chicago. However, don't expect them to get the order right, or for it to show up on time. I've had two orders with them that were messed up where I didn't get a tracking number. Currently I'm waiting on a portion of an order that was listed on a specific tracking number that never showed up. They also had a huge delay because they forgot to forward my FOID to their distributor, and never reached out to me until I raised an issue with them due to the massive delay. They also don't pack well; I had 2000 rounds of Magtech sitting in the rain without anything to protect them from the elements, no plastic wrap on the box to keep them dry.

When you chat them online (because the phone is always busy), they cannot help you without getting a supervisor. Because you'll have to work to get your ammo (or a refund in my case, since I'm done with Buds for good), I would recommend ordering from other vendors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just tried BoneFrog, they don't ship ammo or mags to Illinois.

What did they tell you exactly? A few people here have ordered from them previously with no problem and their website says they just need scans of your Driver's License and FOID

Targetsportsusa.com usually has free shipping if you order 1000 rounds of - say 9mm or other pistol rounds. Not sure what they do with rifle or shotgun rounds. The only quirk is that if you order, say 1000 rounds of target ammo and 100 rounds of hollow point, they will still charge you for shipping the hollow points. But if you watch for their 1/2 price hollow point sales, it is still a pretty good deal.

What did they tell you exactly? A few people here have ordered from them previously with no problem and their website says they just need scans of your Driver's License and FOID
Ah, I think I made a mistake, as when I was going through the checkout process a pop-up stating "Unable to Ship to Your Address" came up. After reading through the terms more closely, Used where they say that you just have to upload the proper credentials. I'm emailing them to double check on 15 round Mags, just to be sure on that specifically.

post-21074-0-09461800-1581625825_thumb.png

Also, I found a new website that ships ammo to Chicago.

lg-outdoors.com

Lgoutdoors will also ship mags 10 rounds and lower to Chicago.

I know I keep posting a lot, lol, the website isn't letting me edit comments for some reason. But anyways, Venturamunitions.com will ship ammo and 10 round mags to Chicago, and they sound willing to change their policies if given evidence of updated laws.

Their phone is (855)438-8626.

Email: (Customer Service) customerservice@venturamunitions.com

(Sales): Sales@venturamunitions.com

... the website isn't letting me edit comments for some reason.

Once you become a Supporting Member, you will be able to edit at will.

Until then, you have only a short window to edit.

For me, and others I'd guess... loss of edit privileges is a reminder to make the annual donation!

The Subscription button is at the top of the page near the center.

I know I keep posting a lot, lol, the website isn't letting me edit comments for some reason. But anyways, Venturamunitions.com will ship ammo and 10 round mags to Chicago, and they sound willing to change their policies if given evidence of updated laws.

Their phone is (855)438-8626.

Email: (Customer Service) customerservice@venturamunitions.com

(Sales): Sales@venturamunitions.com

Thanks for letting us know about LG, I've added them. Unfortunately, Ventura used to be on the list here and they were removed because people keep getting different responses from them. Initially, they were shipping ammo to Chicago without issue, then a while back someone tried to order from them and they were denied/order canceled because "selling ammo to Chicago isn't allowed". I'm hesitant to add them back to the list because vendors like this are, frankly, more trouble then they're worth. At least the ones who simply say no are consistent.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have the ammo delivery taken care of, now I need a place that delivers an H&K VP9SK 13 round magazine to Chicago!

Any advice?

Lanbo's Armory: https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=46937

Thanks chislinger, I just placed an order for (2) Heckler & Koch VP9SK 9mm, 13 round mags.

The price was excellent, flat shipping rate of $10 and no tax, awesome place!
You’re the best!

Wish me luck!!

Ray

Please read the top post, specifically the list of sellers (and list of "lost causes") before commenting. This will help avoid rehashing previous discussions. Please also note that this relates to the CITY of Chicago ONLY. The suburbs and greater Cook County are not Chicago.

As we know, the previous ban on "transfer" of ammunition within the City of Chicago was struck out with the passage of Chicago's gun store ordinance in June 2014. This will be a running list of online retailers who will ship ammunition to residents living in the City of Chicago. We're hoping to grow this list over time. (Note: this is NOT the thread for complaining about particular retailer's prices. This is intended as a resource for consumers to research and select the online vendor of their choice).

The retailers below are confirmed or have been reported to me as willing to ship ammunition to Chicago. If you encounter problems with any, please bring to my attention. If you know of any additional vendors who have shipped ammo to Chicago or have indicated their willingness to do so, feel free to post them here and I'll update the list.

Ammo retailers who will ship (in alphabetical order)AmmoMartAmmo Supply WarehouseAmmunitionStoreAnacortes Gun Shop

AngelFire Ammo

Atlanta ArmsBlue Ridge FirearmsBone Frog Gun Club

Brownell's (some people now report successfully ordering ammo, Brownell's have been flaky about this in the past)

Bud's Gun ShopBuffalo ArmsBuffalo BoreCajunammo

Chestnut Ridge (rifle ammo has been successful, need someone to try handgun ammo)

Everglades AmmoExoticAmmo (a good source for unusual ammo, like less-then-lethal shotgun rounds, net rounds, tracers, etc.)

Gad Custom Cartridges (good source for obsolete calibers)Great Lakes AmmunitionLanbo's Armory

LG OutdoorsMass Ammo

Mid America Munitions

Midway (some people report successfully ordering shot shells. Other ammo is iffy/unlikely)Military ShootersOld Western ScroungerRed River ReloadingSelway ArmorySWFA OutdoorsTactical Defense SolutionsTargetSportsUSATop Gun SupplyUnderwood Ammo (also their Facebook page for sales/deals)

Lost causes

The following online sellers should be considered "lost causes", either due to their ongoing refusal to ship to Chicago, or their inconsistency in shipping to Chicago for some people versus refusing to do so for others. Please note that the below vendors have been contacted multiple times already and doing so again is unlikely to achieve anything positive.

AIM Surplus

Ammunition Depot

Bulkammo

Carolina Munitions

Graf & Sons

J&G Sales

Lucky Gunner

Palmetto State Armory

SGAmmo

Sportsman's Guide

Sportsman's Warehouse

GrabAGun, Impact Guns, and TNTMunitions does not ship ammo to Chicago. GrabAGun.com and ImpactGuns.com doesn't ship ammo to all of Illinois. All lost causes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived