Misplaced FOID...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Illinois Sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

I noticed that my FOID card was missing today.  I looked all over and couldn't find it.  Can't remember where I used it or had it out last.

Now what?  How does that affect my CCL?  Anything to worry about?  How long / how difficult is obtaining a replacement?

Thanks for any help.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government... The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."     Alexander Hamilton

#2 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

If you still have your valid CCL, you shouldn't be affected at all unless you shop somewhere that requires a FOID and won't accept your CCL.

I think that you are safe to report the FOID lost (stolen) at your leisure. If it was close to expiration, renew it. It shouldn't affect your CCL at all... same numbers and all. If you aren't close to a renewal... maybe give it a little while so you can find it, see if it turns up. Maybe report it lost right away.

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to provide better guidance.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#3 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

With the change in the law, you don't have to have physical possession of the FOID as long as you have the CCL, so many leave them at home in the safe or whatever.

I'd do some more checking, to make absolutely sure that you can't locate it, before you start down the path of replacing it. Someone else may be along with recent experience of what will happen if you report the FOID lost.

Out of curiosity how far away is your FOID renewal date?

At one time, I think that reporting FOID as lost or stolen got the CCL revoked, and after a couple month wait for the FOID replacement, you could start the couple year appeal process to get the CCL reinstated. Hopefully it's not that bad anymore.

Edited by Gamma, 18 August 2019 - 07:19 PM.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#4 Illinois Sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

It is valid till 2025...  not even close to renewal.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government... The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."     Alexander Hamilton

#5 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

If you report it lost, stolen, damaged, unless something has changed in the last few months, ISP will revoke the FOID card until a new one is issued. Has caused some  complications in some cases.  Keep looking, it's better to find the missing card.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#6 captdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

If you report it lost, stolen, damaged, unless something has changed in the last few months, ISP will revoke the FOID card until a new one is issued. Has caused some  complications in some cases.  Keep looking, it's better to find the missing card.

He cannot carry on a revoked or expired FOID as well. Is that your understanding as well Molly B?

www.the-bullettrap.com
bullettrap1@gmail.com
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Pistol-Rifle-PPITH
NRA Lifetime Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#7 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,236 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

Correct.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#8 Grayhawk

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Molly..............  I am inspired to put my FOID in the gun safe.  Of course, I will continue to carry my CCL on my person.

Grayhawk

IL, FL, AZ, UT CCL

GOES Trusted Traveler, Commercial Pilot

Member: ISRA, GOA, NRA, GSL, USCCA, Legal Defense Network, IL Carry

Graduate Citizens Police Academy - Oak Brook PD and DuPage County Sheriff;  DuPage CERT

Member: American Motorcycle Assn, AARP, AMAC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users