Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#781 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:36 AM

It has been a while since orals. But now with SCOTUS  hearing the NYSRPA case I'm wondering if the panel decides to hold off making a ruling until SCOTUS rules on that case.

#782 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

It has been a while since orals. But now with SCOTUS  hearing the NYSRPA case I'm wondering if the panel decides to hold off making a ruling until SCOTUS rules on that case.

We're entering what, the fifth year of this suit?  What's another year or two in the overall scheme of things?  Fighting cancer this past year I wasn't sure I'd be around for the end, but now that I'm in remission, I can hope.

NRA Patron/NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois/Utah Concealed Carry Instructor

Glock Armorer/M&P Armorer

LFI I/LFI II

#783 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

We're entering what, the fifth year of this suit?  What's another year or two in the overall scheme of things?  Fighting cancer this past year I wasn't sure I'd be around for the end, but now that I'm in remission, I can hope.
I hope you see many more!

#784 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,392 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear you were going through this.  I am so thankful you are now in remission!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#785 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

They often tear an attorney for one side apart, then rule in that side's favor. It's the questions asked by two judges going in the same direction that is often telling.
They tore into Illinois then ruled in favor of Moore. They tore into Shepard's counsel Thompson and ruled in favor of the state. I don't even try to predict anymore but the longer this is out, the better it is for Col. Culp. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#786 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:44 AM

They often tear an attorney for one side apart, then rule in that side's favor. It's the questions asked by two judges going in the same direction that is often telling.
They tore into Illinois then ruled in favor of Moore. They tore into Shepard's counsel Thompson and ruled in favor of the state. I don't even try to predict anymore but the longer this is out, the better it is for Col. Culp. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Typically this would mean a split decision one way or another with a long delay (7th circuit timing). But there's NYSRPA being taken by SCOTUS and one of the judges during orals suggesting the IL Supremes get a crack at interpreting the statute. So we wait.....

#787 Molly B.

• 16,392 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

The 7th Circuit ruled against the plaintiffs this past week. Two judges - Hamilton and Scudder against.  One judge, Manion,  offers dissenting opinion why plaintiffs should prevail in this case.

Attached File  48 - Opinion of 041219.pdf   221.43KB   246 downloads

Next step will be to determine whether to request en banc hearing or appeal to U.S. Supreme Court.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#788 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

My issue is the laziness of the ISP to send out surveys. They should analyze the laws of the other states themselves and make a determination if they are substantially similar. They are the ones the at are required to do the work by statute, not the other states. An they are should make decisions based on the information provided, or the lack there of limit their liability.

Edited by kevinmcc, 16 April 2019 - 08:32 AM.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#789 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

The dissent was excellent. I do wish the judge had pointed out that surveys are not proper in this day and age, may in pre-internet era.

Edited by kevinmcc, 16 April 2019 - 08:44 AM.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#790 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

The 7th Circuit ruled against the plaintiffs this past week. Two judges - Hamilton and Scudder against.  One judge, Manion,  offers dissenting opinion why plaintiffs should prevail in this case.

attachicon.gif48 - Opinion of 041219.pdf

Next step will be to determine whether to request en banc hearing or appeal to U.S. Supreme Court.

Odds are decent for en banc, so I'd try that first.

#791 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

Will they appeal for en banc?

#792 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Yes--a petition for an en banc review was filed last week. Additionally, the Missouri Attorney General filed an amicus brief on behalf of the states of Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia. The brief favors the plaintiffs.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#793 Molly B.

• 16,392 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

The Amicus Brief:

Attached File  55 - States' Amicus Brief (filed).pdf   750.66KB   113 downloads

#794 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:47 AM

Any news here?

#795 Charles Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:00 AM

Any news here?

Yep, Trump pretty much screwed you with his appointments to the court of appeals.

05/13/2019 56 ORDER: Plaintiffs-appellants filed a petition for rehearing and rehearing en banc on April 26, 2019. No judge in regular active service has requested a vote on the petition for rehearing en banc, and all members of the original panel have voted to deny panel rehearing. The petition for rehearing and rehearing en banc is therefore DENIED. [56] [7004211] [17-2998] (AG) [Entered: 05/13/2019 02:34 PM]

05/21/2019 57 Mandate issued. No record to be returned. [57] [7005991] [17-2998] (DS) [Entered: 05/21/2019 08:19 AM]

05/21/2019 Open Document FOR COURT USE ONLY: Certified copy of 04/12/2019 Final Opinion and Final Judgment, with 05/13/2019 Rehearing Denial Order, with Mandate sent to the District Court Clerk. [7005992-2] [7005992] [17-2998] (DS) [Entered: 05/21/2019 08:24 AM]

Concealed carry is of no use to me because I don't carry a purse or wear a dress, and I'm not into secret advantage and unmanly assassination.

"Should the Open Carry movement become successful it will result in the greatest dissolution of government power since the collapse of the Soviet Union." - Charles Nichols

"If a monkey looks into a book, a sage cannot look out." - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

"La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas." - Charles Baudelaire 

"God doesn't want me and the devil isn't finished with me." - Raymond Reddington

"When you lift the last veil, you might discover that your bride is an ignorant, illiterate child living in a world of fear and superstition." - Charles Nichols.* 

* I posted this on my Facebook page on May 20, 2011.  Unable to find its origin, I claim to be its creator.

#796 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:49 AM

Any news here?

Yep, Trump pretty much screwed you with his appointments to the court of appeals.

05/13/2019 56 ORDER: Plaintiffs-appellants filed a petition for rehearing and rehearing en banc on April 26, 2019. No judge in regular active service has requested a vote on the petition for rehearing en banc, and all members of the original panel have voted to deny panel rehearing. The petition for rehearing and rehearing en banc is therefore DENIED. [56] [7004211] [17-2998] (AG) [Entered: 05/13/2019 02:34 PM]

05/21/2019 57 Mandate issued. No record to be returned. [57] [7005991] [17-2998] (DS) [Entered: 05/21/2019 08:19 AM]

05/21/2019 Open Document FOR COURT USE ONLY: Certified copy of 04/12/2019 Final Opinion and Final Judgment, with 05/13/2019 Rehearing Denial Order, with Mandate sent to the District Court Clerk. [7005992-2] [7005992] [17-2998] (DS) [Entered: 05/21/2019 08:24 AM]

Yea, he definitely screwed the pooch with Scudder it looks like, although I can't say I was happy with the way this case was handled from the get go.
The likely scenario now is they file for cert and will end up having this decision vacated via NYSRPA.

#797 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Will Culp be filing for cert?

#798 MrSmallie

• 47 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

They have until Aug. 9 if my math is correct.

#799 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Justice Kavanaugh approved an extension to Oct 10 to file, should the petitioners choose to do so.

https://www.supremec...lic/19a123.html
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#800 domin8

Banned!

• Members
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Justice Kavanaugh approved an extension to Oct 10 to file, should the petitioners choose to do so.

https://www.supremec...lic/19a123.html

Holy Crap! You are still around. I've been thinking about messaging you, but didn't want to bother you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm either banned, going to be banned, or just returned from being banned. The truth hurts.

#801 Euler

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

Supreme Court updated docket
Cert petition
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#802 Euler

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

This Court has held that the Second Amendment “guarantee[s] the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.” District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592 (2008). Illinois prohibits the non-residents of 45 states from applying for an Illinois concealed carry license, regardless of their individual qualifications and training.

The question presented is:

Whether the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms requires that the State of Illinois allow qualified non-residents to apply for an Illinois concealed carry license.

I think Sigale means "Illinois prohibits the residents of 45 states from applying for a non-resident Illinois concealed carry license."

Edited by Euler, 15 October 2019 - 09:58 PM.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

#803 Euler

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:44 PM

Raoul has asked for an extension to January 13 to reply.

#804 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 4,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:59 PM

When does that kind of bovine excrement get forced to stop, as a f#<&ing delaying tactic that should not be tolerated any longer?

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#805 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

I'm betting that delay date (that pushes it into next years General Assembly session that starts January 8) is so they can attempt to pull another 'too clever by half' quick revision of the law in an attempt to moot the case especially if NYSRPA goes our way.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#806 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:38 AM

The delay probably won't matter; it'll take a few months for SCOTUS to decide NYSRPA anyway.

#807 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

The delay probably won't matter; it'll take a few months for SCOTUS to decide NYSRPA anyway.

On a positive note, if my guess is correct that Illinois is delaying so they can revise the law in a last ditch attempt to moot the case, if NYSRPA is not resolved by then it adds credibility to the argument that 'anti-gun' states like NY and IL, are guilty of 'conduct capable of repetition, while evading court review' a reason a court should deny mootness when there are last minute law changes.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#808 Euler

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

Raoul's motion was granted.

#809 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

Raoul's motion was granted.

:pinch: The one word I would like to use here is too impolite. :headbang1:  :mad( 

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users