Filing an appeal at Bridgeview court house

Ssrkid86

Has anyone filed their appeal at this court house yet?

I am taking off work Monday to get this done so I do not have time for errors and running around. I need to be prepared and ready to rock Monday morning.

So, I need someone who's already gone through this process to try and walk me through what to expect.

Thank you!

Has anyone filed their appeal at this court house yet?

I am taking off work Monday to get this done so I do not have time for errors and running around. I need to be prepared and ready to rock Monday morning.

So, I need someone who's already gone through this process to try and walk me through what to expect.

Thank you!

Last I heard, the State doesn't even have the process or forms in place for the CCW appeals process. I would call and check on that before taking a day off work to go down there.

A lawyer is simply not an option unless someone is going to fund that for me.

Don't follow my advice but;

If you can't afford a lawyer, see if you can get some help from the folks here! They rock!

If you go ahead on your own, sometimes the clerks can be really helpful to get you rolling although if they don't have the answers try the top floor of the daly center, the library folks are super smart.

Always research the judge you get, you only get one chance at a substitution of judge early on. Its a gamble but when the cards are already stacked against you....you may be surprised at what you find online.

Its hard to be patient and still have the energy to march on but that is what it takes.

Ssrkid86 don't waste your time going to Bridgeview, I have a relative that works there, and you can't file civil appeals there anymore, you have to go downtown, and from what I understand the problem there having downtown is they can't help anyone because there's no examples of what to file.

As I understand they are not allowed to help you other than by providing whatever forms you ask for.

You may have seen my primary post....I got a FOID Revocation due to a one day referral to a psych ward and then released. I was an FCCL Instructor and a Type 01 FFL.....I filed the primary form for a FOID Revocation Appeal the second week of October last year........and so far NOTHING. I have an excellent attorney [the good ones cost > $450/hour] and I am greatful that NRA and ISRA have been picking up the legal fees...so far. I am still out of pocket over $15K for other costs.....and we haven't even filed a complaint in court yet. I am quite confident that I will prevail on all of this. However, the voice of experience isn't telling but is SCREAMING.

• Be prepared to reach into your pocket, digging deep and part with real $$.....even if there is a class action lawsuit funded by NRA, etc....remember the class is ONLY going to consist of those individuals who have good facts. The wide range of denial issues such as DUI, an arrest, etc. are each unique and many of you are probably going to be very disappointed to find out that they won't be able to be included in a class action.
  • Be damn sure that you are a card carrying member of NRA, ISRA and Illinois Carry....I can't imagine where I would be if I didn't have their support.
  • Unless it is an absolute last resort don't try this without an attorney....it won't work.
  • Be patient....and when I say patient....I mean REALLY patient...remember I am past a six month point with no response.....there are plenty of steps being taken, but the nature of this beast is that there are people whose advice you are going to have to take...be it people like Todd V or the attorneys. Not one of us is truly in a position to "put pressure" on anyone.....the governmental agencies have all the time in the world...and they will use it against you....don't do something in haste that will shoot your review or appeal in the head.

Best of luck to everyone that is in a similar predicament. Keep in mind that this has to be run as a marathon and not a sprint.

A lawyer is simply not an option unless someone is going to fund that for me.

I understand if you don't have the funds I would still go talk to one most won't charge on your first meeting if anything you maybe able to setup payments

I would worry about filing the wrong paper or answering the wrong question and then it costing you more for the lawyer to fix that also. It can't hurt to ask.

You may have seen my primary post....I got a FOID Revocation due to a one day referral to a psych ward and then released. I was an FCCL Instructor and a Type 01 FFL.....I filed the primary form for a FOID Revocation Appeal the second week of October last year........and so far NOTHING. I have an excellent attorney [the good ones cost > $450/hour] and I am greatful that NRA and ISRA have been picking up the legal fees...so far. I am still out of pocket over $15K for other costs.....and we haven't even filed a complaint in court yet. I am quite confident that I will prevail on all of this. However, the voice of experience isn't telling but is SCREAMING.

• Be prepared to reach into your pocket, digging deep and part with real $$.....even if there is a class action lawsuit funded by NRA, etc....remember the class is ONLY going to consist of those individuals who have good facts. The wide range of denial issues such as DUI, an arrest, etc. are each unique and many of you are probably going to be very disappointed to find out that they won't be able to be included in a class action.
  • Be damn sure that you are a card carrying member of NRA, ISRA and Illinois Carry....I can't imagine where I would be if I didn't have their support.
  • Unless it is an absolute last resort don't try this without an attorney....it won't work.
  • Be patient....and when I say patient....I mean REALLY patient...remember I am past a six month point with no response.....there are plenty of steps being taken, but the nature of this beast is that there are people whose advice you are going to have to take...be it people like Todd V or the attorneys. Not one of us is truly in a position to "put pressure" on anyone.....the governmental agencies have all the time in the world...and they will use it against you....don't do something in haste that will shoot your review or appeal in the head.

Best of luck to everyone that is in a similar predicament. Keep in mind that this has to be run as a marathon and not a sprint.

the governmental agencies have all the time in the world...and LAWYERS they will use it against you :yes1:

the governmental agencies have all the time in the world...and LAWYERS they will use it against you :yes1:

If that is what you believe you are working with the WRONG lawyers. I have spent close to thirty five years in tax practice, and work with attorneys on a daily basis. The lawyers I know are some of the most honest and hard working people I know and they do very fine work. Its disappointing that your experience may have been with shysters....its not what you get with good quality counsel.

Tell you what....how bout we make a bet.....lets come back to the results of reviews and appeals in nine months or a year. I will guaranty that the people that retained good lawyers have way more success with the outcome of the reviews and appeals than the guys that don't have them. Some may not like it but when it comes to attorneys you get what you pay for. Just curiously....if you were diagnosed with a brain tumor and were going to need surgery would you consider doing the surgery yourself? Perhaps shop for the cheapest brain surgeon you could find? They guy is entitled to charge for his expertise.

If that is what you believe you are working with the WRONG lawyers. I have spent close to thirty five years in tax practice, and work with attorneys on a daily basis. The lawyers I know are some of the most honest and hard working people I know and they do very fine work. Its disappointing that your experience may have been with shysters....its not what you get with good quality counsel.

Elmer what are you talking about were not talking about good or bad lawyers were telling him to get a lawyer.

appeals from administrative decisions are not real successful to begin with. an attorney familiar with appealing administrative decisions is likely to increase your chances of success.

I don't know of any statistics on the success rate of appealing administrative decisions either with or without an attorney's help. I suspect the success rate is pretty dismal either way. My guess is that to get any general relief some kind of court ruling that the criteria by which the board is making their decisions is in violation of the 2A will be required.

Keep in mind we are only talking about a handful of adverse decisions from the board. The courts are unlikely to see that as some kind of rogue agency on the loose.

OTOH, this is an entirely new arena and who knows what will happen.

There may have been confusion in the wording...if you were referring to the government's lawyers fine my bad. If you were suggesting that the attorneys that a person would hire would take advantage of them over time that was what I disagree with.

yep government's lawyers

Archived