More pistol deliberations :(...used Sig P226s?

BeardswithoutOperators

So as you guys are annoyingly aware, I can't make up my mind on my first handgun purchase :( it's tough saving up money but it allows me to truly be free of buyers remorse. However it's so dang hard just to pick a gun. The reason why I'm making this is because I've found affordable, used P226s and Hi-Powers on gun broker between $500-650 which is tempting me away from a glock 19 or CZ PCR. Unfortunately once I strike the money mine, I'll likely buy them all lol.

So what should I do? I like the P226 and hi power for their reliability, weight, ergos, and beauty...should I hop on that train instead? I wouldn't have to completely change the hand grip like I would on the glock, and the stock sights are generally a tier above the glock's.

What do?

If you like the P226, check out the Sig 2022. It is a polymer pistol that is similar to the P226. It is a lot less expensive because of the Polymer. I picked one up several years ago and have between 3500 and 4500 rounds through it with almost 0 malfunctions. A couple of ammo related issues and I finally had to change the recoil spring.

Comparing a sig to the Glock is like comparing apples and oranges as far as the trigger goes. Rent them and try them.

If you like the P226, check out the Sig 2022. It is a polymer pistol that is similar to the P226. It is a lot less expensive because of the Polymer. I picked one up several years ago and have between 3500 and 4500 rounds through it with almost 0 malfunctions. A couple of ammo related issues and I finally had to change the recoil spring.

Comparing a sig to the Glock is like comparing apples and oranges as far as the trigger goes. Rent them and try them.

Hot diggity!!!! A P226 look alike in polymer and only $400??

I didn't know that existed!

Also, I hate you all for making me want to collect a brace of pistols that would put a pirate to shame...

I've owned a 226, 19, and CZ 75, and learned to shoot on a Hi Power: I'd vote for the CZ 75, especially if cost is a concern... if cost is a real concern, you've seen me recommend the Canik TP9 on here before, and I'll do it again now. I've had more accuracy out of the TP9 than out of any of the other 3 (have never owned a Hi Power), and I like the controls on it a great deal.

So, if you're not stuck on the size (Canik is smaller than all of the others but close in size to the 19), I'd go with that, otherwise, the CZ.

If you are looking for a platform, you might consider the Sig Sauer P250 or P320.

You can:

- change calibers,

- switch handgrip module size from full to sub-compact.

All using the same serialized trigger control group.

The P250 is DA/SA, the P320 is striker fired.

-Keith.

Sig's P320 trigger is pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for a platform, you might consider the Sig Sauer P250 or P320.

You can:

- change calibers,

- switch handgrip module size from full to sub-compact.

All using the same serialized trigger control group.

The P250 is DA/SA, the P320 is striker fired.

-Keith.

What do you say about P320 vs the 2022? I like striker fired better for consistency and no exposed hammer, but single action is a beautiful thing. Plus I like the looks of the 2022, the 320 looks like a brick s***house.

If you want a fixed configuration pistol, then the Sig SP2022 appears to be a fine pistol.

If you want a pistol that can serve multiple roles with (relatively) inexpensive conversion options, then I'd recommend the P320.

My wife has a P250 that she purchased in a 380 configuration & I purchased a 9mm conversion kit for it.

It only takes a couple of minutes to switch it back and forth:

- drop the magazine,

- rotate the takedown lever,

- take the slide off,

- push out the takedown lever,

- pop out the seialized trigger pack,

then perform the operations in reverse on the destination frame.

-Keith.

What have you shot, and what feels best? Get out and shoot. Might really blow your mind what actually is best for you

Shot the SP-01 better than an XD 5" and a P30...but the thing feels like cheating and is damn big lol :P

Put 5 rounds dang near the same hole but I don't want something that big when I have a rifle. Need a pistol as a reliable back up that can get me to my rifle.

What have you shot, and what feels best? Get out and shoot. Might really blow your mind what actually is best for you

Shot the SP-01 better than an XD 5" and a P30...but the thing feels like cheating and is damn big lol :P

Put 5 rounds dang near the same hole but I don't want something that big when I have a rifle. Need a pistol as a reliable back up that can get me to my rifle.

Well I think your liking of Sig then go for it. You will not regret a Sig. Trust your instincts. When you pick one up I bet one sings to you over the other. Start there, get out and shoot and be ready for your next purchase :devil:

CZ! CZ! CZ! Sorry, I'm kinda biased about CZs. :) Sigs are nice too though.

^^^^^

This is the correct answer

If you shoot the SP-01 the best, but want something a little smaller, then either a P-01 (if you want a rail) or a 75D Compact (aka PCR, if you don't want a rail) is the perfect choice.

You can get a Turkish polymer CZ copy for around $250.00

My SAR B6P has had ZERO malfunctions with all sorts of ammo, from re manufactured, Tula Brass Max, Perfecta, ZQI, Wolf, Aluminum cased, to Federal HST, from 115gr to 147gr.

The price is nice, everything else on the gun - sights, finish, trigger is mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What purpose will this gun serve? You mentioned above that it's just going to need to keep you covered until you can reach a rifle.

Will there be any other purposes for it? Target shooting, competition, carry, etc.?

From when I turned 21, I bought 3 guns. Didn't really have a purpose in mind other than I wanted a gun. I took a long hiatus from guns, still owned them, but never shot them. About 10 years later, I got back into shooting and picked up a 4" XD in 9mm. Was very happy with it, and then just started buying one gun after another. None of them had a purpose other than home defense and target shooting. I continued to buy guns just because I had always wanted them. No purpose for them, they were purely fun buys. Then we got our carry law. I started buying carry guns.

Fast forward to this spring and getting into competitive shooting. Now I regret nearly every gun I've purchased because the only guns I shoot these days are my competition guns. All of the rest sit in the safe. Had I got into competitive shooting a few years ago, I wouldn't own anywhere near what I own now, but knowing how I am, I'd own a few extremely expensive guns for competitive shooting. With the exception of my carry guns, the rest I could live without. Well, all except for one of my Garands. I have to keep one of them.

The point I'm trying to make is figure out what you can potentially see yourself doing with it, then make your decision. 3 gun and USPSA are extremely fun. But they're not only just fun, you start improving drastically. I thought I was pretty good with a gun, but until I shot against people that were shooting on the move, very quickly, and at a rate of fire that you wouldn't believe, I didn't really have a gauge to measure myself by. My first match was humbling. I did decent for someone who'd never shot competitively before, but it definitely opened my eyes.

Some people have zero interest in shooting competitively, and that's fine too. I also don't want this to seem like I'm cheerleading for competitive shooting, because that's not my intention, I'm just trying to share my experience over the last several years in hopes of helping you and others with really taking the time to narrow down your interests, and conserve your money.

Make a list of what interests you, and then make a decision based on the criteria you've listed. From what I recall, you're a student so money is tight, so I like that you're taking your time with your selection.

By the way, 9mm is the best choice. It's cheap and easy to train with, and readily available.

Thanks DD, I know you've put up with my handgun threads lol ^^

I'm having that same issue of what to do. Mainly just a home gun and a possible carry. As I'm in college, I don't quite have the disposable income I'd like, however I still want to buy something of quality. A high value item per se.

Which someone mentioned earlier in the Sig pro sp2022...a hidden gun with lots of value. I've found some as low as $385 to $430, and that fits into my budget. Add night sights (the $400ish prices sometimes have included) and some ammo and it's the same price as a stock standard glock 19 with absolutely no trimmings.

I'm just afraid if I grab a 19 I'll go down the rabbit hole of customization until the thing looks like a space ship :P

FWIW, if you do get the G19 leave it stock and shoot it for a while. If you decide you don't like it you can flip it with minimal cash loss.

If you take a cheese grater to it and install all the bells and whistles you will most likely not be able to recuperate the investment if you change your mind. If you decide it's a keeper, then by all means, enjoy your trip trough the looking glass.

Something to remember about a carry gun...don't carry a gun that's more expensive than what you are willing to drop on pavement or lose to an evidence clerk. Conversely, don't spend so little that you end up with a gun you don't trust with your life to operate when it needs to. SP2022 is a good choice for these reasons.

So as you guys are annoyingly aware, I can't make up my mind on my first handgun purchase :( it's tough saving up money but it allows me to truly be free of buyers remorse. However it's so dang hard just to pick a gun. The reason why I'm making this is because I've found affordable, used P226s and Hi-Powers on gun broker between $500-650 which is tempting me away from a glock 19 or CZ PCR. Unfortunately once I strike the money mine, I'll likely buy them all lol.

So what should I do? I like the P226 and hi power for their reliability, weight, ergos, and beauty...should I hop on that train instead? I wouldn't have to completely change the hand grip like I would on the glock, and the stock sights are generally a tier above the glock's.

What do?

First handgun? Dude, stop worrying about it. If you decide eventually that you made the wrong choice, it's easy enough to sell it off and get what you then think will satisfy you.

gunborker

You do know, right, that you really ought to be looking at gunbroker completed auctions, to get a good idea of real price.

And you do know, right, that you need to be budgeting for a lot more than the gun itself. Extra magzines, decent holster, decent stiff belt, ammo, instruction.

Archived