Recommend rimfire rifle

TRJ

+1 on anything Volquartsen puts out. I ended out getting a 10/22 pattern Volquartsen with an E.R. Shaw bull barrel (straight fluting) from an in-law. One of his family members had built the thing and then passed away, and the in-law is not a gun person.

The thing that blew my mind was that, with all of the money that the guy that built the rifle sunk into it, he put this crappy Simmonds scope on it. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4-9x40 .22 scope on there, and I can drive 10 rounds through the same hole at 25 yards.

Bri

post-4153-0-48812700-1541892631_thumb.jpg

At this point I have seven adults and three (maybe four) kids, all asking me to go shooting. Once this is put together I'll have the right tools to make it super fun and confidence inspiring.

I can move from .22 rifle, to .30 carbine, to .308 (adults) over multiple visits. For pistols I can move from .22 to 9mm on the same gun with an exchange kit. Now it just needs to warm up.

That's awesome. I actually have a couple that I bought specifically because of people asking me to go shooting. My M&P 22 Compact and my Marlin 795 started out that way, although I've since set up the Marlin to be a squirrel gun and am going to sell it to a friend when he gets the $$$ so I can buy a 308 for hog at my sister-in-law's in Arkansas.

Aside from shooting in and of itself, I think introducing people to the hobby is probably my favorite part.

At this point I have seven adults and three (maybe four) kids, all asking me to go shooting. Once this is put together I'll have the right tools to make it super fun and confidence inspiring.

I can move from .22 rifle, to .30 carbine, to .308 (adults) over multiple visits. For pistols I can move from .22 to 9mm on the same gun with an exchange kit. Now it just needs to warm up.

That's awesome. I actually have a couple that I bought specifically because of people asking me to go shooting. My M&P 22 Compact and my Marlin 795 started out that way, although I've since set up the Marlin to be a squirrel gun and am going to sell it to a friend when he gets the $$$ so I can buy a 308 for hog at my sister-in-law's in Arkansas.

Aside from shooting in and of itself, I think introducing people to the hobby is probably my favorite part.

If I remember later I'll pm you a picture of a .308 hog gun you might enjoy.

+1 on anything Volquartsen puts out. I ended out getting a 10/22 pattern Volquartsen with an E.R. Shaw bull barrel (straight fluting) from an in-law. One of his family members had built the thing and then passed away, and the in-law is not a gun person.

The thing that blew my mind was that, with all of the money that the guy that built the rifle sunk into it, he put this crappy Simmonds scope on it. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4-9x40 .22 scope on there, and I can drive 10 rounds through the same hole at 25 yards.

Bri

attachicon.gif12E2A0B1-16D5-400D-B080-A12878003AE3_01.jpg

I totally want a Volquartsen in a chassis. Not that I'm so skilled as to know how to use it...to avoid being the guy who buys a $2400 rimfire and prints a 2" group I decided I could embarrass myself less for far less money by getting the CZ. The trick here will be to not rebuild the who fricking thing. I specifically bought a scope that cost no more than the rifle with the intent of keeping this for plinking and training inside of 150 yards. If I had put on better glass I'd be thinking about 15" holdovers and lobbing shots out to 400, then replacing barrels and bedding actions on a freaking .22 to make it happen.

Right now my wallet poison is reading the CZ section of Rimfire Central. That's a bunch of enablers.

Oh and along the way I found this person and her youtube channel. Holy smokes, much admiration and that's just a comment towards her shooting career and skill. There's so much more though. http://kirstenjoyweiss.com/bio/Talk about having a model spokesperson for shooting sports...

If I remember later I'll pm you a picture of a .308 hog gun you might enjoy.

Cool cool. She just had 3 hogs harassing her dogs while she was up here in IL for her wedding, luckily one of the vet techs at her practice (she's a vet) was taking care of them and when he showed up thankfully he was carrying. Shot one and the other two ran. I just bought a 1911 so my gun budget is tapped out. I know I could use my AR, but I'd prefer something with a little more oomph.

Archived