Mark Curran on 2nd Amendment?

vito

I'll admit I know about nothing about Mark Curran who is now the Republican candidate to oppose Dick Durbin for the U.S. Senate in November. I'm hoping some here that know of him and his positions can elaborate on how we might expect him to approach 2nd Amendment issues. Of course, this is Illinois, so I am not sure it will make much difference in November. If Kim Foxx could win re-election, there does not seem much hope for any true improvement in this state.

From the Primary Election thread:

...Curran is an attorney and the only candidate with previous experience in elected office, as the Lake County Sheriff from 2006 - when he was elected as a Democrat, before switching parties in 2008 - through 2018.

"Curran called the Constitution "sacred" and said most Americans should be allowed to own firearms and carry them concealed or openly.

But Curran said he would support legislation designed to get guns out of the hands of people who are mentally ill or "criminally dangerous."

To that end, Curran said he supports laws allowing the temporary removal of guns from people who may be dangerous to themselves or others.

Curran, who acknowledged he owns a handgun, also said he supports the federal rule banning bump stocks, devices attached to semi-automatic firearms that increase firing speed....

He was one of the first sheriff's to attend one of our concealed carry town hall meetings back in the day and publicly endorsed concealed carry at a time and county where it was not a popular thing to do. I don't know how he would be on other firearm issues.

I’m sure he’ll vote a bit better on 2A issues that the Dick Durbin would.....

i checked out his website yesterday, did not see any mention of 2a support. i see that it was mentioned that he was one of the first to sponsor CCL.

touting himself as big law enforcement guy, which comes off as a gun grabbing illinois sheriff to me. used to be a democrat, i'll pass.

i am a big police supporter and many cops in my family, but he did pass the smell test for me

i pulled the lever for a candidate that made a definitive 2a statement on their website.

He strikes me as the type that will enforce the laws that are passed rather than having a pair and saying NO I WILL NOT ENFORCE THAT.

He is running for the U.S. Senate, a legislative body.

Legislators vote on proposed laws, they do not enforce them.

You are very correct but his past exprience is as a sheriff, and if still in that role today what kind of sheriff would he be, Tom Dart or Walt Longmire?

I am sure that he will not be 100% anti-2A, pro-abortion, and open border like Durbin.

Durbin has significant power to work against us in the Senate.

Hopefully the moderates and conservatives downstate will not sit on their hands because "Curran is not the perfect candidate".

While Cook county will be solid Democrat, even there conservatives still should vote to increase the statewide numbers for good candidates for federal and state wide offices.

I was not contacted in any manner or form by any of the candidates. Didn't vote for any of them. Pathetic primary campaign. Doesn't matter who won, none were serious or willing to put forth any effort. This guy sounds better than Durbin but if he is so easily swayed and lacks the moral courage to oppose red flag laws and bumpstock bans he won't get a penny from me.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I am sure that he will not be 100% anti-2A, pro-abortion, and open border like Durbin.

Hopefully the moderates and conservatives downstate will not sit on their hands because "Curran is not the perfect candidate".

While Cook county will be solid Democrat, even there conservatives still should vote to increase the statewide numbers for good candidates for federal and state wide offices.

The term "downstate" is considered a pejorative and fighting words in Illinois. Might be able to get away with it in Cook County but not Illinois. As soon as those words come out of someone's mouth I disregard them as a pompous elitest.

The term "downstate" is considered a pejorative and fighting words in Illinois. Might be able to get away with it in Cook County but not Illinois. As soon as those words come out of someone's mouth I disregard them as a pompous elitest.

What are you trying to express? I have no idea what this statement means or how it is relevant to the discussion. Please explain.

Cook County is in the northern part of the state. On most maps north is up and south is down.

If I were traveling to Kentucky, I would say that I am going down to Kentucky; to Michigan, I would be traveling up to Michigan.

I have also heard of upstate and downstate New York.

In 75 years I have never heard anyone use upstate or downstate as a pejorative.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., March 23, 2020 at 08:35 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., March 23, 2020 at 08:35 PM - No reason given

If the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz ran against Durbin I would vote for him. We all have a disdain for Durbin. The only way to get rid of his useless rear end is to vote him out.

Well, the only "legitimate" way. We could always hope that he has an "age related" illness (stroke or heart attack) that renders him unfit to be in Congress. Not that he isn't that already but - - . :devil:

Archived