Home Defense Pistol

Professor Wheezy

Looking for a Home Defense Pistol. I have smaller hands so 92FS and Full size 1911 out ( I dont like 1911 owned one and sold it to buy a 357 SP101. In general I'd say some but not all full size out. Looking for a DA/SA or Striker Fired or DAO. Decockers are OK but not looking for external safeties. Cap minimum 13+1. Nite Sights Avail. Single or more Pic Rail for light/laser. (I went to a GS with wife and GS asked if wife would be using I said maybe. He suggested single stack to fit her hands, smaller than mine. But I've decided her Home Pistol will be my SP101 so its really just my gun. I can use a full size as long as its on the smaller not larger side of full size. 9mm.

What I'm looking at

Springfield Armory XD or XDM in either Fullsize or Compact

S&W M&P or SD

Ruger 9E, SR9, SR9C

Sig SP2022 or 250

I'm guessing best advice go to range and rent a few of these??? Any words though about a model you have that may or may not work well for me.

Not looking for a dual purpose carry gun. This is a home defense gun which I will put most likely attach a light to and has a standard (13+1 or more) capacity. I have S&W revolver for carry I am happy with.

Great selections there, man. I"m not surprised about the 1911. Alluring to me, yes - but never really got interested enough to own one.

I can only speak from the love of a Springfield firearm and believe I would enjoy anything else they produce aside from my carry pistol which is also my home defense pistol.

Rent, shoot & decide. Take your time. As you know, firearms are an expensive investment that we all should spend considerable thought upon before purchasing. Bedside table or in-home carry, you want to be comfortable with it and also know all the ins/outs of functionality.

Sorry if I couldn't persuade you any further. I know the pieces I have and that's it. My carry pistol is my home pistol - Train and Defend with the same one (for me, personally). If I had a little more land, maybe a rifle or shotgun - but in my small home, I have what I need.

Search what works best for you and have fun shopping!

Can't go wrong with an XD. XD9's are only like $339 right now on grabagun. Even if that sale is over, IMO it's the highest quality firearm you can get for that price range. 16+1 capacity with larger aftermarket mags available. Put some truglo tfo's on it, and you're good to go.

If you don't kind spending the extra money, XDM9 is really nice too. 20 round capacity, and a match grade barrel.

I'm still a huge G19 Gen 4 fan. Give it a try before you rule it out. My wife shot the XDM, the M&P full size and compact, the M&P Shield, the XDS 3.3, the G26 Gen 4, and then the G19 Gen 4. She picked the G19 and that has become her EDC and her nightstand gun.

Yes, is a rifle an option? What is your living situation? I switched to an AR because rifle rounds are much better at one-shot stopping a threat, higher capacity, easier to handle, and 5.56 does not overpenetrate as much as pistol rounds. Really, the only reason to choose a pistol is if you need to keep kids out of it but still have fast access.

I love my Sig SP2022. It's full size or pretty close to it. It eats every kind of ammo I put in it with no problem and I've put about 2k rounds through it in 2 years. Heck, the gun even runs well when it's dirty.

My wife's M&P 9 is also great. It's also full size and eats everything I feed it. I find it a little easier to shoot than my Sig and that may just be because the trigger is better but I don't know. I love my Sig.

Basically you can't go wrong with either of them.

I would check out the Glock. To me it is the right choice. To you, you need to check out as many as you can and see what fits your natural put together (and budget!). There is no "right" answer and there are no "wrong" answers. There righter than others and wronger than others. Get what fits you and your budget, then take the time to learn how to use it well! THAT is the most important thing.

Looking for a Home Defense Pistol. I have smaller hands so 92FS and Full size 1911 out ( I dont like 1911 owned one and sold it to buy a 357 SP101. In general I'd say some but not all full size out. Looking for a DA/SA or Striker Fired or DAO. Decockers are OK but not looking for external safeties. Cap minimum 13+1. Nite Sights Avail. Single or more Pic Rail for light/laser. (I went to a GS with wife and GS asked if wife would be using I said maybe. He suggested single stack to fit her hands, smaller than mine. But I've decided her Home Pistol will be my SP101 so its really just my gun. I can use a full size as long as its on the smaller not larger side of full size. 9mm.

What I'm looking at

Springfield Armory XD or XDM in either Fullsize or Compact

S&W M&P or SD

Ruger 9E, SR9, SR9C

Sig SP2022 or 250

I'm guessing best advice go to range and rent a few of these??? Any words though about a model you have that may or may not work well for me.

Not looking for a dual purpose carry gun. This is a home defense gun which I will put most likely attach a light to and has a standard (13+1 or more) capacity. I have S&W revolver for carry I am happy with.

Add the FNH FNS to your list.

Your list should probably be FNS, Glock, XDM, M&P. See which one you and your wife shoot best.\

FNS-9 and FNS-9L

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/bobapunk/Random%20Gun%20and%20Knife%20Photos/IMG_20131214_153535_zps8t161fio.jpg

Here is my home protection handgun, FNP-45

218402_10200823647011805_165813041_o.jpg

Yes, is a rifle an option? What is your living situation? I switched to an AR because rifle rounds are much better at one-shot stopping a threat, higher capacity, easier to handle, and 5.56 does not overpenetrate as much as pistol rounds. Really, the only reason to choose a pistol is if you need to keep kids out of it but still have fast access.

The CX4 Storm is a very nice carbine that makes a good home defense gun.

How about a short barreled 12 gauge pistol gripped shotgun......the only problem that might present is BATFE.

Well, this can be legally built without a SBS stamp:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/RG500.11a1.jpg

But the real problem is capacity. Home invasion teams are now 3-5 men. Plus, again, overpenetration. 12ga is the best stopping round, especially in #1 shot, but they still overpenetrate more than 5.56. That could be a serious issue depending on where you live.

CX storm, same issues with a 9mm pistol but worse: the bullet will easily penetrate several walls and keep going with lethal force. Thats why SWAT teams are moving away from pistol-caliber carbines like the MP5 and moving to short-barrelled ARs: the 5.56 round tumbles and quickly sheds velocity once it hits drywall, less likely to create litigation-happy grief-stricken family members in urban environments.

Lot's of excellent suggestions.... The XD, The M&P: can't go wrong with either.

I've shot the SR9c and was really impressed by it, would take one over my G19 if I were buying that one all over again.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Canik TP9S/A. I have the original TP9 and it's been fantastic for a $289 pistol.

Try em all and pick the one that YOU like best.

How about a short barreled 12 gauge pistol gripped shotgun......the only problem that might present is BATFE.

--snip--

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

Lots of great suggestions.

Predictably, I'll suggest an HK VP9. Can be bought with night sights, but has luminescent three dot sights standard. 15 round magazines that don't bind up when you +1 a chambered round. The side panels and back strap are customizable in Sm, Med, and Large sizes ( all included in the box). There is a picatinny rail that is large enough to fit a light or laser. The slide has ears on it to help weak handed people get a grip on it.

I really like mine. http://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-vp9-9mm-4-striker-w-rail-ambi-3-dot-sgt-2-15rd.html#.VFpWBu_nZpU

I prefer a handgun to a long gun. You need two hands to effectively use a long gun and you may need a free hand for a flashlight, cell phone, to open a door, etc. I think a high capacity 9mm w/night sites that you shoot well is a fine choice. I've never heard of the 5.56 losing great velocity and tumbling after going through drywall. I'd like to know a believable source for that information.

--snip--

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

Im actually curious. I know it is NON NFA. But is it legal in IL?

UUW
any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more
barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by
alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less
than 26 inches; or
POSSESSION

It is unlawful to possess any firearm or ammunition without a valid FOID. It is unlawful to possess any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. It is unlawful for any person under the age of 18 to possess a handgun, or concealable firearm.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/illinois.aspx

I prefer a handgun to a long gun. You need two hands to effectively use a long gun and you may need a free hand for a flashlight, cell phone, to open a door, etc. I think a high capacity 9mm w/night sites that you shoot well is a fine choice. I've never heard of the 5.56 losing great velocity and tumbling after going through drywall. I'd like to know a believable source for that information.

I prefer a handgun to any long gun. Aside from overpenetration from a shotgun and having to deal with an ar in tight quarters, a lot of people don't realize the role that noise will play in your home with no hearing protection. It also takes much more training to properly use a shotgun or carbine for home defense.

The hi cap 9mm seems to fit your needs pretty well. Especially if grip size is an issue.

Im actually curious. I know it is NON NFA. But is it legal in IL?

I saw one guy post that ISP told him if BATFE says its ok, its fine by them. If you wanna trust that.

It comes down to, does Illinois have a different definition of "shotgun" than BATFE on their law books? The pictured item is BATFE legal because their definition of "shotgun" requires the gun be capable of being fired from the shoulder, and this is not and never was as it never had a stock installed. I still havent been able to find a definition of "shotgun" in Illinois law, granted I havent looked all that hard because I have many other projects to complete first.

Archived