Washington Times realizes that the Illinois permit process is racially biased

RoadyRunner

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/29/chicago-concealed-carry-gun-permit-law-disarms-poo/

The majority of Illinois’ 73,714 active concealed carry licenses — 90 percent — have been issued to white people, demographic data shows. Only eight percent of African-Americans have secured licenses, according to the FOIA information.Within Cook County, the top five concealed carry ZIP codes per capita are all predominately white, middle class and are in areas that have low crime rates. However, the most violent neighborhoods within the county — all of which are on the South Side of Chicago— are predominately black, where residents earn less than $48,000 annually and hold the fewest concealed carry licenses as a percentage of the population.If the same data trends occurred in banking and insurance, there might be outcries of “redlining,” denying a group of people access to goods or services because of the color of their skin or income levels. But there’s little public concern expressed so far about the possibility that poor blacks are being disenfranchised from the right to carry a concealed weapon.

My first question is if there is any evidence that poor blacks are being denied the right to carry in a disproportionate number. It could be that they are just not applying. It's too bad that so many issues immediately turn into a case of racial bias.

The point was that they can't afford the right. You have to pay for the classes and take them before you apply. You have to pay for transportation to the classes. You have to pay for a foid. You have to pay for the application fee for the carry permit.

1) This issue has been brought up several times in this forum. Many instructors, including myself, have offered to volunteer time to teach.

2) This needs to be exploited as evidence the Democrats don't care about their voter base. Get them to vote Republican and change Chicago, and Illinois, in more ways than just politically.

My first question is if there is any evidence that poor blacks are being denied the right to carry in a disproportionate number. It could be that they are just not applying. It's too bad that so many issues immediately turn into a case of racial bias.

The point was that they can't afford the right. You have to pay for the classes and take them before you apply. You have to pay for transportation to the classes. You have to pay for a foid. You have to pay for the application fee for the carry permit.

But poor white people can afford the same things? Why does the ability to afford classes, transportation a FOID and the application have to become a black/white issue. Poverty is color blind.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, October 1, 2014 at 02:46 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, October 1, 2014 at 02:46 PM - No reason given

All they have to do is take the "Obama Phone" program model and repurpose it to the "Obama Gun" program. The right to firearm ownership and CCW should not be a right for only those that can afford it. Let's face it, you do not have a constitutional right to a phone, however you do have a constitutional right to own and protect yourself and your family with a gun. Being poor should not diminish that right. We need politicians with some balls that will stand up and let the down-trodden segments of our citizens know that they are going to put a gun and a chicken in a pot in every household.

I have worked with a few of these "disenfranchised" people. Ask them about carry/foid and they have no interest. Unnecessary. Waste of money. Illinois doesn't prosecute gun violations. One of them told me I was stupid for getting a foid. "When 5.0 decides to kick doors to take 'em you're on the list." I'm pretty sure the disenfranchised have guns, just not the same way the guys on this board do.

As for the belief that higher concealed carry lowers crime rates, Mr. Raoul isn’t so sure.

“People can pull out and manipulate statistics. I don’t know if it’s true or not,” said Mr. Raoul. “It just seems the more guns we have out there, the more accidents we’re likely to have, and the more illegal gun transfers there’ll be.”

My senator. Gotta love him.

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, October 1, 2014 at 02:46 PM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, October 1, 2014 at 02:46 PM - No reason given

Maybe it has something to do with stereo types and that required pesky criminal background check?

Edit to add

There were two black guys in the class I took, one who brought his own gun to the range, and half white and hispanic for the rest of the class. I wonder how many didn't get their permit. Seems they all were inquiring about how past run ins with the police might effect their chances of getting a permit.

Eric Holder really needs to look into this.

he would just make it worse.

But, but, but,.....

..... According to the article this is a problem where the Civil Rights of blacks are being violated.

Richard Daley said:

Something has to be done, Mr. President, about the sale of the guns.

Outside the suburbs in the city, we have control, but what the heck, in the suburbs, there are - you go out to all around our suburbs and you've got people out there, especially the non-white, are buying guns right and left. Shotguns and rifles and pistols and everything else. There's no registration...

Something tells me he wasn't talking about the folks in Chinatown.

The evolution of Chicago's handgun ban - WBEZ, 2011

ACLU, "No Comment"

kaylord84, I don't know you but assume by your avatar that you are a black male? I would be genuinely interested in your opinion (beyond smh, since I'm not sure what part of this has you shakin your head)

The Smh was due to some of the replies . I'm a black male and to me some of the ccomments seem a bit racist.

Thanks for that observation, but it's even worse ---- everybody seems to also miss the fact that you have to also pay for the gun, and the ammo, and the range time to keep proficient. Add all of that to the artificial state-imposed costs, and you have a real barrier to equal 2nd Amendment rights across, if not racial, then at least across economic social classes. Which arguably pretty much comes down to racial, if we're gonna be honest about it, which we don't seem to want to be. And where are the black leaders on this? Nowhere. It's amazing.

One of the great things about Illinois Carry is the diversity our membership represents. One of the difficulties that presents is trying to understand each other when we don't always share each other's background and experience.

I've done a little clean up of some posts that I don't think were meant to offend anyone but that I can see probably did none the less.

But poor white people can afford the same things? Why does the ability to afford classes, transportation a FOID and the application have to become a black/white issue. Poverty is color blind.

Any intelligent liberal knows that all white people have money, power, and means of control over blacks. They also know that blacks are disadvantaged, unable to provide for themselves, and should be given anything they want for that most white families making six figures generally own. All whites make over $100,000k a year, don't they? Why are they so selfish as to resent paying for Obamaphones and college tuition and health insurance when they pay for the same things for their own kids? My God, you would think all whites weren't rich or something ...

I don't understand why more blacks aren't outraged over the patronizing, condescending liberal attitude towards them. The funniest part of it all is that usually, the more liberal a white person is, the more upper class and removed from the "real world" he or she is. Reminds me of the Drysdales on the Beverly Hillbillies in the early 1960's, running a charity for disadvantaged Beverly Hills residents, because "some of them actually make less than $25,000 a year!" Somewhere, in some language, "moron" is spelled l-i-b-e-r-a-l.

Archived