Appealing CCL Review Board Denial

Molly B.

Hello everyone - I am a licensed PI and carry with an FCC card. I applied for my CCL in 1-4-14 and was denied from the Review board because of a Law Enforcement objection based on a "run in" I had with law enforcement who where harassing my client. I also lost my CCL Instructors license and was called a DANGER TO SOCIETY. Beyond sickening. So I can carry as a PI yet considered a Danger to Society - Oxymoron

Hired a great attorney Joel Ostranger - and had my case remanded back to the Board. Finally VICTORY. Received a letter from the ISP that I was NOT A DANGER TO SOCIETY and I am back to "UNDER REVIEW" My whole life has been based upon protecting people and helping the innocent. I cannot tell you how sick this made me to go through this.

So my heart felt congratulations to everyone who experienced this and won! For those still fighting please don't give up. Truth eventually wins (my opinion)

Jim

Hello everyone - I am a licensed PI and carry with an FCC card. I applied for my CCL in 1-4-14 and was denied from the Review board because of a Law Enforcement objection based on a "run in" I had with law enforcement who where harassing my client. I also lost my CCL Instructors license and was called a DANGER TO SOCIETY. Beyond sickening. So I can carry as a PI yet considered a Danger to Society - Oxymoron

Hired a great attorney Joel Ostranger - and had my case remanded back to the Board. Finally VICTORY. Received a letter from the ISP that I was NOT A DANGER TO SOCIETY and I am back to "UNDER REVIEW" My whole life has been based upon protecting people and helping the innocent. I cannot tell you how sick this made me to go through this.

So my heart felt congratulations to everyone who experienced this and won! For those still fighting please don't give up. Truth eventually wins (my opinion)

Jim

Wonderful!!!

Wow!!!! So glad to hear about all of the remands now going ACTIVE!!!! We all seem to have been fighting through all the games the state had in store for us the last 9-10 months and came out on top. Now I know any reasonable person wouldn't have applied in the first place if they didnt qualify, but I truly wonder if any of the denials were justified being that you cant be too much of a threat if you have an active FOID card and thats the first step in this whole process! AGAIN CONGRATS TO THE WHOLE LOT OF US!!!! AND AGAIN A DEEP HEART FELT THNX TO EVERYONE HERE THAT SHOWED WHAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WHEN WE WORK TOGETHER!

I would love to know what percentage of denials were eventually reinstated. My guess the number would be quite high.

Stay Safe and Carry Responsibly

I wonder if there's a way to get this statistic from the isp. So far it's nearly everyone from this website that has posted.

I would like to see the stats. If just for the fact that down the road, should all these cases band together in a class action suit for restitution (even if its just attorney fees and filing fees) it might be nice to show that the board wasn't doing their job. They weren't fact finding. They were just rubber stamping whatever objection came over the desk. I received my CCL way back on March 10th or so, but I read this thread everyday, just to see how everyone is making out. This whole situation is a disgusting abuse of power by those who don't want any of us to carry. They can't do it legally so they just make the process as difficult as can be. It stinks of arrogance and the belief that the powers that be can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.

Sorry about the rant, but if it ticks off those of us who had no problems getting our CCL's, I can't imagine the anger and frustration of those fighting the good fight

I would love to know what percentage of denials were eventually reinstated. My guess the number would be quite high.

I wonder if there's a way to get this statistic from the isp. So far it's nearly everyone from this website that has posted.

I would like to see the stats. If just for the fact that down the road, should all these cases band together in a class action suit for restitution (even if its just attorney fees and filing fees) it might be nice to show that the board wasn't doing their job. They weren't fact finding. They were just rubber stamping whatever objection came over the desk. I received my CCL way back on March 10th or so, but I read this thread everyday, just to see how everyone is making out. This whole situation is a disgusting abuse of power by those who don't want any of us to carry. They can't do it legally so they just make the process as difficult as can be. It stinks of arrogance and the belief that the powers that be can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.

Sorry about the rant, but if it ticks off those of us who had no problems getting our CCL's, I can't imagine the anger and frustration of those fighting the good fight

+1 brother

so many of the members here that decided to take a stand and appeal their denied application and won congratulations to all – those that are still fighting we continue to be here and support you however we can with advise and suggestion – it does sadden me a little for those that were possibly falsely denied and didn’t appeal or never found their way here to this forum, they lost out and the ISP won – Stay Safe and Carry Responsibly and enjoy the upcoming holidays with friends and family.

The board had been filing monthly reports listing approvals, denials, etc.

I don't remember where I saw them, but I did see a few.

I wrestled with filing suit for some time. It can be a daunting prospect, especially with a completely new law and process where no established procedure, rubric or pattern existed. I am personally aware of others that decided not to pursue the issue due to a combination of the time, effort and expense of any suit and the vast uncertainty and general lack of concrete information. I salute all those who have persevered. As responsible firearms owners, you help secure liberty for all. :thumbsup:

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/conceal_and_carry.html

Concealed Carry Objections Home >

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/images/ConcealAndCarry/ConcealAndCarry4.jpg

Cook County Applications
Total Sheriff's Office Objections

Basis for Concealed
Carry Objection
Objection
Count
Agg. Battery/Agg. Assault
Battery/Assault
Burglary/Theft/Robbery
Domestic Violence
Drugs
False Personation of Police/Public Employee
Gang Affiliation/Arrest
Gun Crimes
Mental Health
Murder
Orders of Protection
Sex Crimes
Stalking/Threat to Kill
Other

*There is crossover among these categories, as many of these individuals have been arrested for multiple crimes that spurred the Sheriff’s Office to object to their concealed carry applications. Application review process began on January 5, 2014

Nice find! I wonder if there's a stat being kept of denials overturned and now that the process appears to be operating as it should, how many objections are overturned.

I'm looking for it, but it would seem you need to make a FOIA request from the ISP? I don't know for sure, still "Googling" :) I wish they just had a stat page, would make this a whole lot easier LOL!

On this page Tom Dart says 39% of aresstees self identified as mentally ill.

... http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/index.html

Don't people get arrested for assault, battery, burglary, theft, domestic violence, murder, sex crimes, stalking, etc?

Why only one mental health objection then?

Someone is lying, either Dart is lying on the home page, or Dart is lying on the objection page.

I want to congratulate all that have become active! I am so jealous!

Hopefully my time will come soon.

I was in court a couple days ago and it did not go well.

After the ISP lost my files and all my paperwork I asked the court to be granted my license, court cost, lost time from work, and compensated for time spent on case.

Of course I was denied everything because the AAG said they were still giving me a chance at remand.

They said I was to be reviewed on the 11th like many of you were but they needed more time to look over my case.

I am being told they hope to get at it on the 24th, and the judge set my next court day for the middle of January.

He said even though my request for relief was being denied right now, because he still does not have the right to rule on the case because it is still under remand, that I could resubmit my request for relief at a later date.

Submitted my application Jan. 5th

Got my letter around March 5th that that on Jan. 4 they new the web site was not secure and they let people submit their applications anyway and my information my have been viewed.

Gave me information on web sites to keep track of my credit record. Did not offer credit security like Target and Home Depot did.

March 20 got my letter of denial.

April 21 filed case in court.

June 19 first court date.

August 21 second court date

September 11 all review paperwork receive by CCLRB

October 30 phone call telling me they lost my case and paperwork.

October 30 - November 10 many emails and resubmittal of paperwork

November 11 blown off again

November 20 shut down in court again

November 24, maybe just maybe

I will win this someday just like many of you! Congrats!!

Archived