Going to a range and/or carrying (esp. out of state) during address change

It's my understanding that new gun purchases won't be cleared until a new FOID is received, but are you still clear to go to a range and/or purchase ammo while address change is under review? I also have heard that CCL remains good while in this process, but would it be advisable to carry around the address change confirmation/is out of state reciprocity carry affected at all by this process?

As long as someone can go online and verify the validity of your FOID number, you're legal to possess a firearm. If the ISP says your FOID number is not valid, then it's not valid, and you can't own or carry (if you also have a CCL) a firearm.

It's possible that some FFLs may refuse to believe a valid FOID is valid, because the addresses on your FOID and DL don't match or because it's past your expiration date while renewing. The only thing that matters is whether it is indeed valid.

So what does the ISP think about your FOID?

As for out of state, there may be some explaining to do. Ultimately out-of-state people can do the same thing in-state people can do: check the validity with the ISP.

Edited by Euler

As long as someone can go online and verify the validity of your FOID number, you're legal to possess a firearm. If the ISP says your FOID number is not valid, then it's not valid, and you can't own or carry (if you also have a CCL) a firearm.It's possible that some FFLs may refuse to believe a valid FOID is valid, because the addresses on your FOID and DL don't match or because it's past your expiration date while renewing. The only thing that matters is whether it is indeed valid.So what does the ISP think about your FOID?As for out of state, there may be some explaining to do. Ultimately out-of-state people can do the same thing in-state people can do: check the validity with the ISP.

Someone did say that both cards remain valid during the process per ISP, but I've also heard that new purchases have been declined during changes as well. Now that I think about it, I wonder if this just might've been the FFL refusing to accept the FOID/DL with two different addresses (rather than FTIP responding that the FOID's no good)?