FOID revoked for illegal consumption

Jack1911

My 20 year old nephew was arrested for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor. He plead guilty on 10/29/2018 and received 3 months of supervision. Yesterday (08/14/2019) He received a FOID revocation letter in the mail.

We had no clue he was going to lose his FOID card as a result of this. Not to mention it took 10 months for the IL state police to mail him this notice.

Does anyone know when he is eligible to get it back? He is now 21, and supervision was completed in January.

Appreciate any insight anyone might have.

In a lot of courts, terms of supervision just automatically include the restriction on being in possession of firearms. He needs to submit a Request for Review. See attached form. If probation is the wrong term, strike it out and write in 'supervision'

FOID Review Form IC-probation restriction dismissed (002).pdf

Attach a certified copy of the final disposition showing he successfully completed supervision. Mail to address on the form using a mail service that will provide a signed receipt of delivery, also FAX to the number on the form.

Please keep us posted on his progress in getting his FOID reinstated.

FOID Review Form IC-probation restriction dismissed (002).pdf

For a misdemeanor? ISP is out of control!

The courts are ordering it and sending notice to ISP.

My understanding is that "court" supervision is administered by a parole board. The parole board requests suspension of the FOID pro forma, because it just wants to apply the same conditions to everything, no matter what the charges. The court just signs off whatever the parole board asks, but the court could amend the conditions, too

The courts are ordering it and sending notice to ISP.

So, without any notice to defendant, the courts are depriving them of their constitutional rights as a result of getting supervision on a non-violent misdemeanor? Not that notice would somehow render it constitutional anyway. God,please, somebody sue over this!

So, without any notice to defendant, the courts are depriving them of their constitutional rights as a result of getting supervision on a non-violent misdemeanor? Not that notice would somehow render it constitutional anyway. God,please, somebody sue over this!

Court supervision is part of a plea agreement. The defendant has to agree to it. Defendants who do not plead guilty are not eligible for court supervision.

Read the plea agreement and get your lawyer to move to amend it before you sign it.

Disclaimer: I've never had to go through it myself.

Archived