Hypothetical Situation

DHan

No law in Illinois against printing, so that "do gooder" would be a bad guy looking to disarm you. It would be assumed if they were that intent on disarming you they would be using physical force and violence to steal from you. Forcible Felony.

This is one of those hypotheticals that never happens because you could be a cop, detective, a federal agent, armed security guard, or conceal carrier. Anyone attempting to disarm you wouldn't be doing it for good.

How many "guns are bad" do gooders do you see snatching firearms outta officers' holsters or out of unmarked police cars?

Anyone attacking to disarm another person of a firearm, when the person is carrying concealed lawfully, is a danger to the carrier and those around the incident. There is no way to determine if the attacker is a misguided idiot or a criminal trying to steal a firearm for illegal purposes.

Either way, the action is an unmistakable threat and should be treated as a life-threatening situation.

How do we respond to situations where our lives are at risk or we and others are in immediate danger of great bodily harm?

That's what should be taught.

You know the printing question has been around for y e a r s. Everyone was talking about it since we got our CCL's around 5 years ago. Hypothetically I think I would either do this or that. LOL. The thing about hypotheticals is that it doesn't have anything to do with the situation at hand. I hope I would respond accordingly.

What difference does it make? It is still attempted theft of the firearm, and aggravated assault. I am going to assume its a bad guy until proven otherwise.

I agree, but I'll say it differently.

Carrying a firearm is a legal activity, therefore merely carrying a firearm cannot reasonably be considered an imminent threat. (This argument works against Terry stops, too.)

If someone is not an imminent threat, there is no justification for a private individual to use force against that person.

Physically attacking someone without justification is battery.

I am not a trainer.

Had a case right after the church shooting in Texas. My wife and I were walking thru the lobby of our church before the service and a guy just out of my peripheral vision grabbed my knife sheath that was "printing" beneath my shirt.

"Hey, the flap covering your pocket knife is open. You better snap it shut." He said rather firmly.

Caught off guard, I smiled and said thank you. We walked into the sanctuary and sat down about 10 rows from the back. The more I thought about it, the more I suspected he wasn't being hospitable but rather a little over aggressive in his suspicion that I might be a bad guy. Sure enough, when we got up to leave, he was three rows and directly behind me. We are regulars at the church and I'm fairly well known. I did not recognize him.

Moral of my tale is the first time was my learning experience. Even when not CC I now have increased awareness in crowds.

It may only take 2 seconds to disarm someone, so you better plan ahead and know what you are willing to do in those 2 seconds.

Archived