US Senate to Vote Monday on Four Gun Control Measures

InterestedBystander

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/senate-vote-monday-four-gun-control-measures-n594006

The Senate will vote on four gun control measures Monday after being prodded by a 15-hour filibuster in the wake of the shooting massacre at a Florida nightclub.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, filed cloture motions Thursday on four gun-related amendments to a spending bill, a day after Democrats ended their filibuster to force some sort of action on gun restrictions.

"Cloture" is a parliamentary procedure that starts the clock on 30 hours of debate before a vote.

The amendments two filed by Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and Chris Murphy, D-Connecticut ,and two other, less restrictive measures filed by Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and John Cornyn, R-Texas would address background checks of prospective gun buyers and the sale of guns and explosives to people on terrorist watch lists.

more at link...

We need to sneak adjustments into the no fly/terror watch list as a contingency plan.

For Starters:

-Available to the public/FOIA applicable.

-Insure due process.

-Ability to get appeal/cleared off of the list by seeing a judge without having to sue the federal government.

-Make for damn sure that nobody can be put on it for their religion/political affiliation/political activism.

-If a person is innocent and wastes money on plane tickets/hotel reservations/etc they deserve restitution. (reimbursement on federal income tax.)

No terrorist is going to go to a judge or get involved with the court system.

Add another Amenment - any NON-Citizen that is on the Terrorist Watch List that is in Our Country MUST be Deported IMMEDIATELY !!

And another amendment-National Reciprocity. It would be the perfect chance to add it in. Obama would be in a tight spot to veto it.

We also have to consider Trump may not win the election and there may not be 60 votes for the reciprocity bills after the next election. This may be the best chance for a while.

Add another Amenment - any NON-Citizen that is on the Terrorist Watch List that is in Our Country MUST be Deported IMMEDIATELY !!

And another amendment-National Reciprocity. It would be the perfect chance to add it in. Obama would be in a tight spot to veto it.

We also have to consider Trump may not win the election and there may not be 60 votes for the reciprocity bills after the next election. This may be the best chance for a while.

That would require the Republican party to have balls.

That would require the Republican party to have balls.

It really wouldn't though. Voting against the no fly ban would take balls, but in this scenario they vote for the no fly ban AND get something their biggest backer (NRA) has wanted for over 20 years. It works in both cases for them, not to mention at some point the no fly list will be ruled unconstitutional.

The Belleville News Democrat quoted our very own Valinda Rowe this week in this article:

http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article83790597.html

Valinda Rowe, spokeswoman for IllinoisCarry.com, said Tuesday she believes gun-control legislation, as well as “gun-free zones,” would not stop mass killings or prevent “violent” or “mentally unstable” people from hurting others with firearms.

“If we look at where all of these mass killings are taking place, they are in gun-free zones that already do not allow people to carry a firearm to protect themselves with,” Rowe said. “It does nothing — absolutely nothing — to prevent someone intent on doing harm.”

I doubt the Democrats will get the votes needed, but doesn't this just help the Republicans come November?

The Belleville News Democrat quoted our very own Valinda Rowe this week in this article:http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article83790597.html

Valinda Rowe, spokeswoman for IllinoisCarry.com, said Tuesday she believes gun-control legislation, as well as “gun-free zones,” would not stop mass killings or prevent “violent” or “mentally unstable” people from hurting others with firearms.

“If we look at where all of these mass killings are taking place, they are in gun-free zones that already do not allow people to carry a firearm to protect themselves with,” Rowe said. “It does nothing — absolutely nothing — to prevent someone intent on doing harm.”

Got sidetracked reading Durbin's "common sense" quote.

Those words, "common sense," I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Seriously when you bring real data and facts into the picture, our side wins every time. But they are the ones with "common sense???"

Common sense is the level of intellect of the average person. If you do the math you'll see that exactly half the people are "average" or dumber. Some of these folks get elected, presumably by those on the low end of the bell curve.

Funny that you mention this.. as I watched my County Board meeting (lake Co ) I said to myself some of these people are illiterate, I kid you not they could not make a sentence even while reading it off the notes... fast forward to the past 7 hours I watched of our Illinois house debate a week or so ago again the lack of the ability to communicate is just sad and they direct my welfare as a citizen of this state WOW

Common sense is the level of intellect of the average person. If you do the math you'll see that exactly half the people are "average" or dumber. Some of these folks get elected, presumably by those on the low end of the bell curve.

Funny that you mention this.. as I watched my County Board meeting (lake Co ) I said to myself some of these people are illiterate, I kid you not they could not make a sentence even while reading it off the notes... fast forward to the past 7 hours I watched of our Illinois house debate a week or so ago again the lack of the ability to communicate is just sad and they direct my welfare as a citizen of this state WOW

That's why if I'm still here in Illinois in 2018, I'm running for office. I'm tired of these idiots being in charge of our state and government.

Monday will be interesting, with UBC and NFNB both having 2 versions being voted on, I wonder how many will vote yes or no on both versions?

If the democrats version fails, will they vote yes on the republican's NRA backed NFNB amendment to get something on the books?

I'm guessing the order in which they are called will be critical as well.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/senate-vote-gun-restrictions-224426

Anyone know what time this is going to happen and where we can watch?

Senate.gov indicates todays floor schedule starts at 3 pm which would be 2 pm for us in IL.

If interested in proposed amendments, I believe they are here

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2578/amendments?q=%7B"chamber"%3A"Senate"%2C"status"%3A"Senate+amendment+proposed+%28on+the+floor%29"%7D

Anyone know what time this is going to happen and where we can watch?

Gun amendment votes scheduled for 4:30 PM Central Time per CSPAN2. You do however know how their schedules go.

I like the first one the most. Specifically the part about spending money to conduct more useless studies on things like video games. As if there aren't plenty of taxpayer funded studies on ridiculous things like how bird songs change when they're drunk.

Archived