Answering the door of your home while open carrying

grappler

I did a forum search on this and couldn't find any topics on this. Apologies in advance if this has been asked already.

Does anyone know of the implications, if any, if I answered the front door of my own home while open carrying? Is that considered brandishing?

I'm in Morton Grove, suburb of Chicago. FWIW, I have my CCL.

Thanks ahead.

No. Your possession of a firearm doesn't need to conform to any legislated definition when you are in your own home, or on your own property, or as an invitee in another's.

Of course, if you actually threaten someone with a firearm in close proximity, you could reasonably be charged with agg assault (brandishing is not defined in Illinois.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before we divorced I use to open carry at the house. Even had a couple cops at my house one night due to ex leaving the car door open and an officer spotted it.

He stopped to check it out and I went outside to see what was up. Had my pistol in a belly band openly carried. He didn't say a word about it.

My grandfather had a wooden sign on a post in his flower bed next to the front door that read "I answer the door with a gun, if you're bad you better run, if your good I'll let you in, but you better have brought some top shelf gin." He really did answer the door with a shotgun every time.

My grandfather had a wooden sign on a post in his flower bed next to the front door that read "I answer the door with a gun, if you're bad you better run, if your good I'll let you in, but you better have brought some top shelf gin." He really did answer the door with a shotgun every time.

That is why I carry a pistol around the house, so I can get to my 870.

Your grandfather sounds like my kind of guy, I would prefer some Kentucky corn squeezins though....

Just remember, you may not own the land from the sidewalk to the street if your mailbox is out that way. At that point your carry would need to be concealed.

Check your platt, in many towns sidewalks and some streets and alleys are easements on your property and are also legal to open carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I answered the door with a 45 in shoulder holster during quackscam, some 20 odd years ago, it was a federal agent looking for our neighbor. my brother told him that he (the guy next door was in Seattle Wash. said he kinda had a hankerin to go to Seattle... at that time my old 67 Chev pickup had seat covers with

3 scabbards one in front ,2 two on the back.. I think all told there was at least 6 guns in the truck. needless to say I didn,t drive it any that day...

Thinking about the recent case of swatting. Could the police shoot you if you answered the door with a gun in your hand? Evidently in this case the person answering the door did not have a gn but was shot anyway.

While it is legal to open carry in your house, I would be wary of answering the door with a gun in view. One could meet a jumpy police officer or some idiot who can sue you for threatening him/her. I personally prefer a concealed gun.

Thinking about the recent case of swatting. Could the police shoot you if you answered the door with a gun in your hand? Evidently in this case the person answering the door did not have a gn but was shot anyway.

While it is legal to open carry in your house, I would be wary of answering the door with a gun in view. One could meet a jumpy police officer or some idiot who can sue you for threatening him/her. I personally prefer a concealed gun.

The police can shot you at any time, but would they be justified is another question.

I open the door wearing nothing but my underwear

Beat me to it.

If you open the door buck naked but open carrying is that indecent brandishing or unlawful exposure?

You could always sling your AR down the front while naked. Then you'd be covered up just enough to answer the door. I'd be worried about chafing though.1913 Rail is like a cheese grater.

Archived