Insurance for Concealed Carry

yyyz

Yup the first Crook county self defense shooting that goes down by a FCCL holder is gonna stir up a storm, and put the fccl holder through enormous legal and social distress as Dart and Alvarez use every underhanded dirty trick in the book to try to bury the permittee first in the system (starting with an infamous strip search), then UNDER the jail, and overwhelm them in court to discourage any other fccl from daring to step foot in Crook County...

If you have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to have been sued before (myself - professionally and personally, no firearm issues) you will see no problem in having insurance.

I've actually visited an attorney for the purpose to retain his services, and he politely declined - but I have his number on my phone if I ever need him.

Why did he decline to take my money? There's no criminal or civil case law yet for CC in this state. Attorneys will look to other adjoining/comparable states and reference their laws, but it is a complete crap shoot at this point. Insurance is your only defense from a financial standpoint - and a legal, affirmative defense is all you have.

Sorry to sound grim - but I'm telling prospective students that I expect half of them will not file for a CCL once they are somewhat educated about Illinois laws and their personal responsibilities and financial liabilities. One wealthy friend (his daily driver is a Tesla) who was gung ho about getting his CCL decided not to go further following a seminar I gave a month ago. I'd rather not take his little bit of money if he's not willing to put his fortune on the line - and he realized this on his own.

Some may flame over this, but hey, if you were worth $10M in cash, stocks, and bonds, would you do something that could get you sued for all of it - even when you were the intended victim? It's a lot harder to sue someone who is penniless.

If you have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to have been sued before (myself - professionally and personally, no firearm issues) you will see no problem in having insurance.

I've actually visited an attorney for the purpose to retain his services, and he politely declined - but I have his number on my phone if I ever need him.

Why did he decline to take my money? There's no criminal or civil case law yet for CC in this state. Attorneys will look to other adjoining/comparable states and reference their laws, but it is a complete crap shoot at this point. Insurance is your only defense from a financial standpoint - and a legal, affirmative defense is all you have.

Sorry to sound grim - but I'm telling prospective students that I expect half of them will not file for a CCL once they are somewhat educated about Illinois laws and their personal responsibilities and financial liabilities. One wealthy friend (his daily driver is a Tesla) who was gung ho about getting his CCL decided not to go further following a seminar I gave a month ago. I'd rather not take his little bit of money if he's not willing to put his fortune on the line - and he realized this on his own.

Some may flame over this, but hey, if you were worth $10M in cash, stocks, and bonds, would you do something that could get you sued for all of it - even when you were the intended victim? It's a lot harder to sue someone who is penniless.

I understand what you are saying, but then don't own a house and have insurance on it because someone my slip and fall in your driveway and sue you, don't own a car and have insurance because you might have an accident and they could sue you, etc. I would think most who want to have a CCL and maybe insurance is because they refuse to be a victim and need protection. It is your right to defend yourself. You don't have to be a victim. That is just my take. If you want to carry and get insurance or not it is up,to you. You can't live your life not doing things because you are afraid of being sued.

Telecomm Todd,

You need to tell your friend to start putting his assets into various Trusts and LLCs. There is a difference between having $10 million that can be taken away from you and $10million that is locked up that no one can touch. He should be looking into wealth management strategies. Not much of a difference if you shoot someone in self-defense or run them over with your Tesla when you are sued and people see $$$.

I found this helpful but I haven't made a decision yet.

http://hdfirearms.co...n-self-defense/

Very helpful info...........thanks

+1 Thanks for sharing.

Are there any members who have experience with these two organizations? Please give your thoughts and opinions.

I would love to know this too. I can afford about 100 a year on insurance. I can't afford 400 a year though.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

I found this helpful but I haven't made a decision yet.

http://hdfirearms.co...n-self-defense/

Very helpful info...........thanks

+1 Thanks for sharing.

Are there any members who have experience with these two organizations? Please give your thoughts and opinions.

I looked at the website on the link. I think the coverages and premiums for USCCA have changed since the original al article. Their coverare is outlined at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

After looking,, here is what I have to date...

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Does my membership in the Network give me some sort of insurance or prepaid legal fees to use if I must defend my actions in court?

No. Network dues give members access to specific benefits. See "Membership Benefits" link in menu at the left side of this page or click here. Network benefits are specifically not an insurance program nor are they prepaid legal fees.

Second Call Defense

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing

Insurance through Lockton Affinity, LLC

SecondCallDefense@LocktonAffinity.com

1-877-502-3300

All insurance coverage limits are shared and subject to the maximum listed policy amounts. Insurance policies are offered by and sold exclusively through Lockton Affinity, LLC. Second Call Defense is not offering for sale any insurance products.

NRA

Lockton Affinity, LLC

http://www.locktonri...ins/defense.htm

nrainsurance@locktonaffinity.com

1-877-672-3006

CCW Safe

http://ccwsafe.com/concealed-carry-insurance-comparison/

No Insurance

Patriot Legal Protection

http://patriotlegalprotection.com/

No Insurance

US Concealed Carry

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com

Just my thoughts, but …

If you have sufficient personal assets to meet the expenses, there is no need for insurance. And the law may indeed exonerate you from any liability. No insurance means that you will pay all the expenses out of pocket.

However, if you shoot someone, you will almost certainly need a lawyer as you may be arrested as a precautionary measure by the police.While they investigate, you may want to post bond. And in this day and age, you will probably be sued by the person that is shot or his family members – remember, you may win in the end, but anyone can sue anyone and it will cost a lot of money even if you win.

(b - In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7 4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.

Drylok... I know what is supposed to happen, but an ambulance chaser may want you to prove that what you did was outside the relm of "unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct" - may be easily proved, but at what personal expense. We need the British system... loser pays expenses and it would probably eliminate a lot of frivolous lawsuits.

Went with CCWSafe.com personally, liked the product and price point

http://quincyforums.com/uploads/images/115.gif

In reading over their web site it says their coverage is good in any state your permit is good in.

I take that to mean you would not be covered in states that your permit is not good in, so if you were to be traveling and had a firearm in your hotel room and had to use it, it appears you would not be covered if you did not have a permit good in that state.

I will have to investigate further.

In reading over their web site it says their coverage is good in any state your permit is good in.

I take that to mean you would not be covered in states that your permit is not good in, so if you were to be traveling and had a firearm in your hotel room and had to use it, it appears you would not be covered if you did not have a permit good in that state.

Reading their FAQ, it seems they cover you in any state that recognizes the Illinois permit (there are several), as a resident of Illinois ("Home State"). What about other states, if you also have nonresident permits recognized by that state but that do not directly recognize Illinois? Their FAQ do not address this. I may just give them a call, since this seems to for my needs otherwise. But I regularly travel to states that currently do not honor Illinois, but I have Utah and Florida to cover those.

Reading their FAQ, it seems they cover you in any state that recognizes the Illinois permit (there are several), as a resident of Illinois ("Home State"). What about other states, if you also have nonresident permits recognized by that state but that do not directly recognize Illinois? Their FAQ do not address this. I may just give them a call, since this seems to for my needs otherwise. But I regularly travel to states that currently do not honor Illinois, but I have Utah and Florida to cover those.

I took it to mean that anywhere you hold a valid conceal carry license, you're covered. That was simply my understanding.

I took it to mean that anywhere you hold a valid conceal carry license, you're covered. That was simply my understanding.

From their faq:

Will I be covered if I am on vacation in another state?

Yes, your membership covers you where ever your concealed permit is honored. You need to be aware that your permit is not covered in all states, and you should check the link above if you plan to travel armed.

Isn't this all a bit academic? If I use my firearm to defend myself or my family it is going to be because I was convinced that extreme harm or death would have occurred otherwise... (To myself or my loved ones)..... Personally I won't give a Damn what the judge has to say about it as long as my family is safe..... I think that a lot of you are over complicating this whole thing.. (IF it is not a matter of life and death don't use your firearm!)

Duh?

Not sure as to how all of this works, but it appears that CCWSafe is a legal services agreement, it is not an insurance policy. Second Call seems to do all that CCW Safe does and IS an insurance policy with specific dollar amounts of guaranteed coverage. It would be great if some one here in the insurance business could do a comparison and contrast between these two programs and perhaps the NRA program as well.

Isn't this all a bit academic? If I use my firearm to defend myself or my family it is going to be because I was convinced that extreme harm or death would have occurred otherwise... (To myself or my loved ones)..... Personally I won't give a Damn what the judge has to say about it as long as my family is safe..... I think that a lot of you are over complicating this whole thing.. (IF it is not a matter of life and death don't use your firearm!)

Duh?

You may have been convinced it was a justifiable shoot. The problem is you may very well have to convince a judge and/or jury that it was.

Even if you get off the criminal charge there is a good chance you could then be facing a civil suit.

Are you prepared to lose all yours and your families personal wealth to fund your defense?

People buy insurance to make sure they still have a roof over their heads and food to eat when bad things happen.

That is all this insurance is doing.

This civil liability protection is likely unneeded if the shooter is receiving food stamps and/or receiving SSI payments and/or SSD payments and/or SSA payments Etc.. I think a protection plan that eliminates the civil funding to reduce costs so that the poor can afford a legal defense.

I don't know if that would work. There are too many lawyers who would gladly sue you if they can make a buck. The issue is defending yourself in a civil suit not so much the liability.

Have you ever noticed how the high profile scumbag lawyers come out of the woodwork for a high profile case? Particularly if there is some potential racial component involved? Now think about what it would be like to be on the receiving end of that malestorm of liberal press, politician, cop wannabe politician, race baiters of any ilk, and you are on your own. Perhaps you can afford to pay the right lawyer to keep you out of jail and still have your home when it's all over, but I can't.

I'm trying to figure this out for myself and I appreciate this thread. I'm carrying a $2 million umbrella liability policy, but I'm not certain if it protects me off of my home or business property. A call to my agent is on m schedule today.

I did call my insurance agent today and he plans on getting a CCL He will get back to me on justified use of force and my homeowner's policy along with what he can do for his own insurance needs we he gets his CCL and what I can do.

@aka

A lawyer would not be able to accept food stamps as a form of payment. It would be impossible and illegal for the lawyer to garnish SSI payments.

But he could take the case on contingency - say 40% or 50% with no upfront fees or costs. I do agree with you but would it not be better to be safe than sorry?

Archived