Virginia: Governor to push gun control in special session

mikew

Does he think he will follow the Prime Minister of New Zealand?

Notable: The AP reporter called it gun control.

https://www.apnews.com/6168796d8f1140a7bb3c3a88c990253c

APNewsBreak: Virginia gov. to call special session on guns

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam will recall lawmakers to the state Capitol in coming weeks to take up a package of gun-control legislation he said is urgently needed to prevent killings like Friday’s mass shooting in Virginia Beach.

Northam , a Democrat, told The Associated Press ahead of his Tuesday announcement that he plans to convene a special legislative session later this summer.

He said in an interview that he wants the Republican-controlled General Assembly to hear from the public about the need for “common-sense” law related to guns and accessories.

---more---

..."Northam’s package of bills includes legislation that directly relates to Friday’s shooting __ including a ban on silencers and high capacity ammunition magazines as well as broadening the ability of local governments to limit guns in city buildings. But Northam said other recent shootings, including the death last month of a 9-year-old girl who was shot at a community cookout in Richmond, are also driving his call for a special session.

“It’s an emergency here in Virginia, and it’s time to take action,” Northam said. “Every one of these pieces of legislation will save lives.”

Other proposals Northam said he wants lawmakers to vote on include mandating universal background checks before gun purchases, limiting purchases to one handgun per month and a so-called red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily seize someone’s guns if they are a shown to be threat to themselves or others."...

Reason.com

Craddock used two .45 caliber pistols, which he purchased legally in 2016 and 2018, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Because there was no "assault weapon," just common handguns, and no whiff of trickery or malfeasance in how Craddock obtained them, those who jump on senseless violence to advocate gun control have seized on the fact that he had fitted his guns with a sound-suppression mechanism (a.k.a. a "silencer").

"The sound of gunfire can save lives," Hillary Clinton tweeted Sunday, sharing a Washington Post op-ed that calls for a ban on such devices.

The Post piece, by former Homeland Security official Juliette Kayyem, points out...

One mass shooting with a suppressor does not make a trend, nor does it require us to alter how we train for or respond to them. But, it does mean we must continue to vigorously regulate and even eventually ban these devices as essential steps in adopting common-sense gun-control measures.

... and yet the point remains from my opening post of the "Virginia Beach" thread, despite the fact that he used suppressors, everyone heard the gunfire. "Silencers" are not silent.

Yep it "silences" the firearm. And by "silences" I mean it reduces it to the decibel level of a jackhammer, or louder than the sound of a modern airliner with its engines spooled up on takeoff roll. But yeah, can't hear that. Sure, I guess, if you're deaf.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Interesting how leftocrats ALWAYS turn to "gun control" but not "criminal control"

Leftocrats won't do that, they don't control their cronies, their cronies control them.

Again, I think it's rather plain talkin' on behalf of the AP, calling it "gun control" and not

"gun violence prevention safety advocacy facism but not banning anything".

I'm currently in Chesapeake, VA. Been here 2 years, with 1 to go. It's the next town west of Virginia Beach. On the evening of the shooting I was actually flying eastbound on 264 headed to the beach for the Old Dominion concert going on during the Patriotic Festival. This incident is on thre news every chance they get. Northam, imo, will be unsuccessful. At the federal level we are dealing with Tim Kaine and Elain Lauria. Ironically, even though Lauria's campaign was funded by Pelosi and Brady Campaign she's not publicly calling for gun control.

Archived