Photo

Any idea how long appeals take?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

Hello, I hope you guys can help me. I wanted to join my husband in shooting clays and target practice and applied for a FOID card. I had some arrests in my life and thought one was a felony. I put that on my application thinking I would appeal it because of the last 35 years of being an upstanding citizen shouldn't be a problem to do so. However, after I sent in my app I looked up my arrests and turns out the most I have is public disturbance. No felonies at all. So, I inadvertently answered I had a felony. I sent in all the forms they require for appeals along with my arrest record. Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 Eldridge7179

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

My appeal is approaching 100 days and not so much as a peep from the state. I hope yours is resolved faster then mine, but chances are good you'll be stuck in "Appeal Under Review" purgatory for a while.

United States Army Veteran

OIF/OEF

#3 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:18 AM

My appeal is approaching 100 days and not so much as a peep from the state. I hope yours is resolved faster then mine, but chances are good you'll be stuck in "Appeal Under Review" purgatory for a while.

Does your login indicate you are under review? Mine just says "denied". I only sent it 3 weeks ago.

#4 Craigcelia

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:53 AM

Have you tried calling ISP?  I realize it's a bureaucracy with a lot of red tape down there...  If that doesn't help, try contacting your State Representative to at least get someone down there to notice you.

#5 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

...and there is always Molly B.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#6 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 15,467 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

Hello, I hope you guys can help me. I wanted to join my husband in shooting clays and target practice and applied for a FOID card. I had some arrests in my life and thought one was a felony. I put that on my application thinking I would appeal it because of the last 35 years of being an upstanding citizen shouldn't be a problem to do so. However, after I sent in my app I looked up my arrests and turns out the most I have is public disturbance. No felonies at all. So, I inadvertently answered I had a felony. I sent in all the forms they require for appeals along with my arrest record. Thanks in advance for any info.

With FOID appeals, the status remains as 'denied' or 'revoked' until the appeal is resolved and does not change to 'appeal under review' like it does for CCL appeal.

Inadvertent YES answer appeals seem to be taking anywhere from 6 months to a year.  Please keep us posted on your status.  The info will be very helpful to others.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#7 Eldridge7179

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:12 PM

Does your login indicate you are under review? Mine just says "denied". I only sent it 3 weeks ago.

Mine says "Appeal Under Review"

So your appeal was denied or your original filing/application was denied?

OIF/OEF

#8 Eldridge7179

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:19 PM

With FOID appeals, the status remains as 'denied' or 'revoked' until the appeal is resolved and does not change to 'appeal under review' like it does for CCL appeal.

Inadvertent YES answer appeals seem to be taking anywhere from 6 months to a year.  Please keep us posted on your status.  The info will be very helpful to others.

The inadvertent "yes" to one of the preliminary questions (which a few are written so vaguely that even watching Dr. Phil could constitute being a patient of a mental health facility or treatment center haha)
is what got me. I've sent 2 emails so far to the ISP and from the looks of things they could care less. I'm not buying they are over burdened as most of not all of the registrations/applications are submitted electronically with a verdict assigned by merely presses the left mouse button a couple of times.

I'm trying to decide if I need to go re-take my CCL class simply based on the time that has passed from my original filing, to the filing of my appeal with supporting documentation.

I have given thought about contacting Mike Unes and the Governor via formal letter but I'm not sure what good it would do if any.

OIF/OEF

#9 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

no need to retake the class, the certs don't expire IIRC

#10 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

What do you mean? 

#11 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Have you tried calling ISP?  I realize it's a bureaucracy with a lot of red tape down there...  If that doesn't help, try contacting your State Representative to at least get someone down there to notice you.

I have not. I will, and I will keep you posted. Thanks

#12 Illini2A312

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

What do you mean?

Send a PM (Private Message) to Molly B.

#13 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

update, emailed the state police. their response was that there is no time table and they have to investigate and to wait basically. 

#14 jelly8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

Just an update: Got my FOID card one week ago  :frantics: So it took about 2 months.  Good luck to everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users