GOP 2020 ?

TomKoz

Bishop won by like 2%, in a district Trump won in 2016 by 12%. Not exactly an ovwewheliming "win".

A win is a win, it doesn't matter how many votes Trump got in the district, Trump wasn't on the ballot and people were not voting for Trump. It also doesn't necessarily mean there is less GOP support, it very well could just mean a few more Democrats showed up to vote, not too much of a reach since the Democrats dumped a ton of money and energy into trying to swing the vote and voter turn out was low, making it easy to shift the favor of the vote.

Bishop won by like 2%, in a district Trump won in 2016 by 12%. Not exactly an ovwewheliming "win".

Actually it is considering the push from the left to try and get a W under their belt. After hearing them talk about this election being a referendum on Trump, suddenly there are crickets. Plus the fact that the incumbent party typically is not as enthusiastic to go out and vote.

The cnn journalists were basically on suicide watch. I would call that a big win.

I’m confused. You used the words CNN and JOURNALISTS in the same sentence.

my sincere apologies kind sir,

replace with Clown News Network and window lickers please

The cnn journalists were basically on suicide watch. I would call that a big win.

I’m confused. You used the words CNN and JOURNALISTS in the same sentence.

An oxymoron if ever there was one.

Everything I've seen shows the GOP way outspent the dems on this one. Even with the 2:1 spending disparity, this one was still a squeeker.

The 2:1 spending disparity from what I have read was 'outside money' not total spent, the GOP only slightly outspent in the end, but as I said the Democrats dumped a ton of money and still failed to flip the seat, that has been a pretty consistent trend for these special elections.

"McCready’s campaign dramatically outspent Bishop’s in the race, $4.7 million to $1.9 million. But Republicans’ outside spending dwarfed Democrats’, $5.8 million to $1.4 million."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/09/north-carolina-9th-district-special-election-has-implications-for-2020.html

I think 2020 is going to be a lot closer than either side wants.

No doubt it will be close, it's going to depend on how the middle sways and what side appeals to the most moderates and independents.

This morning I read an article about the local Native American people breaking from tribal council leadership advice and voting Republican. The author said they all feel the Democrats have left them as a people and disparaged their way of life for being socially conservative.

Yesterday I read about African Americans in the district saying they felt taken for granted. Their streets look the same year after year despite campaign promises and they've noticed that they're finally doing better economically under Republican leadership.

I wish I knew who these people were so I could shake hands and welcome them to the party.

and yet I saw a CNN talking head analyst the next morning proclaiming this signaled the end of Republicans in 2020

Archived